20 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 3:06 AM by californian RSS

Since CL is closed on weekends, why is breakfast not comped to Gold/Platinum members?

jmring Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It seems that this is a constant gripe/request by your gold/platinum members and it seems like it is falling on deaf ears.  I understand why the lounges are closed on weekends, not enough Gold/Platinum members in the hotel and the expense of having a worker or two in a nearly empty lounge does not make sense.  However, there is no reason the property cant comp breakfast in their hotel restaurant for the few members that are staying there for the weekend.  The negative press that this receives inside Marriott Inseiders and the word of mouth from it's "best customers" or ones that spend the most is simply not good. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Since CL is closed on weekends, why is breakfast not comped to Gold/Platinum members?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jmring,

It seems to depend on each property.  I have had most of my week-end breakfasts comped, but It is not for sure. 

Check with the hotel and get the facts prior to staying.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Since CL is closed on weekends, why is breakfast not comped to Gold/Platinum members?
      nimblethunder Platinum 1 Reviews

It does depends on the property.  When I was in Beijing at the Renaissance, the CL was open from early morning to late at night 7 days a week, with longer breakfast hours than most properties.  Some of the US properties give out free breakfasts for the weekends.  Perhaps it has to do with one's level in the Rewards program?

vermonter Platinum 4 Reviews

Marriott hotels always used to provide breakfast (or brunch on Sundays) if the lounge was closed. This benefit went by the wayside for US properties a few years ago. Interestingly, when this change was made, the European hotels stepped up their efforts to make sure that everyone started their day with a healthy breakfast. On a recent visit to Paris (over a popular holiday), they moved the breakfast out of the lounge to a conference room to handle the large number of anticipated guests.

This benefit has been sorely missed by many. I hope Marriott will find a way to bring it back to the hotels in the US.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards regarding access to the Concierge Lounge and the complimentary breakfast benefit. Jerrycoin and yourself are correct in understanding the benefit. The Concierge Lounge is closed on weekends although some properties do graciously recognize Gold and Platinum members with breakfast on weekends.

Here is some information on the Concierge Lounge for anyone interested:

Gold and Platinum members are given access to the Concierge Lounge during regular hours of operation, which is on a separate floor accessed only with a special key from the hotel.  Access to the Concierge Lounge includes light snacks, beverages, complimentary continental breakfast, and other special services.

If the Concierge Lounge is closed, or if the property does not have a Concierge Lounge, the hotel will provide a complimentary Healthy Start Breakfast on weekday stays at the restaurant only.  Members must show their membership card and room key.

This benefit is available at all participating Marriott Hotels and Conference Centers, JW Marriott Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, and the Autograph Collection.  This benefit is not available at resort locations, EDITION properties, The Ritz-Carlton Hotels, AC Hotels or select service brands such as Courtyard hotels.  I am providing the following link for more information:

http://marriott.com/rewards/learn/memben.mi

Thanks for sharing the official company line on the Concierge Lounges.

Unfortunately, the link you provided is less specific. When I visit that link, I come away with the impression that breakfast is a Gold/Platinum benefit, so when I see the fine print, I get confused. If you read through the various discussions about breakfast, you'll see that there are some folks that use the link you shared to convince some front desk folks to comp them a breakfast!

And, while I appreciate your presenting the official company line on the Concierge Lounges, what I think the members here would really like to know is what does it take to get Marriott to make change it's policy. A few years ago, the Concierge Lounges were usually open on the weekends. Obviously, something caused Marriott to change it's policy once. As the customers who are actually paying money to Marriott, we'd like to know that our voice has been heard and that steps are being taken to reopen the Concierge Lounges on the weekend.

I'd like to point out that I am not a fan of breakfast during regularly scheduled breakfast hours. I do, however, enjoy a nice cup of tea, which is a challenge to make with the coffee machines because they make tea that tastes like coffee, which isn't tea. The beauty of the Concierge Lounge is that I can bop in and make a nice cup of tea, which makes me quite happy. Knowing that the Concierge Lounges are closed on weekends (or at other random times as deemed appropriate by the hotel), I now travel with my own hot pot. This works out well, except it becomes a challenge to get a spot of milk to add to the tea. The hotels that have added the little shops will often times have milk for sale, which is fine by me, but it's not consistent. And, if you know many tea drinkers, consistency is important.

Thank you again for posting the official company policy. I hope you can now coach and guides us on how to get Marriott to once again change its policy about Concierge Lounges.

Cheers!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Well Andy,,,you just convinced me and probably many others not to stay at Marriotts in the USA on weekends (unless they provide breakfast) and stay at your competitors that do provide this benefit!!!!

tmallon Platinum 1 Reviews

Andy,  you  stated the following was Marriott' s policy:

If the Concierge Lounge is closed, or if the property does not have a Concierge Lounge, the hotel will provide a complimentary Healthy Start Breakfast on weekday stays at the restaurant only.  Members must show their membership card and room key.

This benefit is available at all participating Marriott Hotels and Conference Centers, JW Marriott Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, and the Autograph Collection

Why then are so many reporting that the Cosmopolitan, which is an Autograph Collection property which has no concierge lounge, has reduced the platinum benefit from free breakfast each morning to only one free breakfast per stay?

As for the Cosmopolitan, it's a relatively new hotel (about a year old). They are still working out their policies and procedures and also have quite a lot of staff. On a visit in December, 2011, they provided me with two buffet coupons per day of my stay. They could be used anytime before 2 or 3pm. However, they expected me to pay for my internet access. I ended up putting their front desk manager on the phone with Marriott Customer Service in order to sort things out. I expect that the same process would help should you actually run in to trouble with the breakfast.

The interesting thing about the breakfast at the Cosmopolitan is that you are getting a pass to their buffet, which is a $30 to $40 breakfast. The thing is massive. And, you can spend four hours at it if you like.

--

Going back to the Concierge Lounges being closed, the other thing that I found troubling about their closing on weekends was that that happened at the same time that the hotels started backing off on room service. This had the added effect of arrival gifts rarely being available if you arrived after 10pm. As a person who travels extensively by plane, and usually after a full day of work, these changes were challenging. I would arrive at a hotel quite late at night. I couldn't order dinner from room service. I couldn't grab a snack in the concierge lounge. I couldn't even count on my arrival gift to help cut the hunger.

I was quite excited when the higher level hotels began adding the mini marts that are in most Courtyard hotels. However, over the past few months, I've noticed that they are frequently understocked. I don't know if that's because the hotels are restocking them less frequently or they are becoming more popular. All I know is I find it quite frustrating to find that the mini mart is only stocked with beer and toiletries.

--

Again, it was very kind of the community manager to state Marriott's official policy. What I'd really appreciate, however, is if he could provide us some guidance on how to effect some changes. The Marriott corporation and its associated hotels obviously put a lot of thought in to just about everything they do. I'd like to really encourage them to put some thought in to how a guest feels when they arrive some place after an eight hour flight that circled Chicago for five hours before landing. That guest will be hungry, tired, and probably a bit testy. Ten days ago, this guest was me. I arrived at the hotel around 11:30pm to find one clerk at the front desk and twelve guests in front of me waiting to check in. I called the hotel on my cell phone and requested that the operator find some help for the solo person at the front desk. He said he'd send out the two managers. One arrived within seconds. The other one came out, looked things over, but then walked away. Room service was closed. There were no arrival gifts. And the store was stocked with beer and toiletries.

So please Mr. community manager, help us figure out how to improve things!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

We hear your concern and this has been a popular topic. We're actively working on a framework where the community will prioritize these kinds of ideas or suggestions and Marriott will acknowledge these ideas and update their status. More details to come but here was that announcement. A fellow Insider has already created an idea on the subject.

Hi Mr. Community Manager -

Thank you for this information. While I "joined" this forum when it was first created, this week is the first time I've been able to visit it regularly. So, I missed your earlier announcement.

I must say, the idea of having guests prioritize things sounds like a great idea. I write software for physicians, and we regularly poll our clients to see what they would like our developers should add or change in the software. I look forward to participating in this process.

Sadly, the link to the "idea" on the subject is not working. If there is another way to access it, please let me know.

And, for the record, I am in San Francisco this weekend at the Marriott Marquis. The Concierge Lounge is once again open on weekends and boy, is the staff excited about this. Each of the folks I've spoken with has made a point of letting me know that the lounge is now open all week long and that they value my visit every day of the week and not just during weekdays like other hotels. Also for the record, I've had about six cups of perfect tea (with milk), a cookie, and some wonderful cold cuts and cheeses. I have yet to enjoy breakfast, desert, or other offerings, but the food that I've seen has been plentiful and well prepared.

So, Mr. Community Manager - thank you for calling ahead and encouraging the general manager to keep the lounge open this weekend for me and all of the other elite members visiting the San Francisco Marquis. Your help made all the difference. Thank you, Thank you!!

bobj1s Platinum

It was until about 5 years ago.  Some Ren's still offer it.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I too hear all of you, and I am one of the complainers.  I usually get comped breakfast anywhere else in the world, but my three last experiences in the US I have not been (except a paltry Starbucks coupon that was useless).  Breakfast is my most important meal of the day and I simply am no longer going to stay at foreign hotels (where the breakfast price in hotel can equal $30-50) that do not offer breakfast. I've been comped by other hotel chains, always gotten breakfast, but again always in Europe. I haven't tried any yet in the US.

The AMA and other medical associations have made clear that eating a good breakfast is essential to good work and good health. That's true on weekends as well as weekdays and I would sooner go without dinner than breakfast.  But I will not pay $30-50 for the 'privilege' if this starts extending to Europe. Instead I will find the nearest supermarket (there's an excellent one right near the Rome Marriott Central Park if anyone needs directions and buy croissants/equivalent and juice and eat it in my room.

ProfC

westof30 Platinum

I can comprehend Marriott's policy, but what I hear is that, as a "valued elite member" you are less valued on weekends.  We only want to service the weekday valued member.

Each Marriott needs to be the same, or published somewhere on Marriott's web site which locations extend the offer to valued members on the weekends.  I stay at Marriott for the consistency of everything they have to offer.  I do not what to wait until checkin and hope the CSR gives me access to breakfast won the weekends.  I do not have the time to call each location prior to making a reservation.

Why cannot the lounge be accessible on the weekends, no attendant just have the beverages and lounge it self available.  You do not need a full time attendant, just someone to stop in a refresh the stock.  Its nice to get out of the room, go to a nice place an complete some work and have a refreshing beverage.

I have been staying at the West Palm Beach Marriott for the last 6 Thur-Sun, and have the next six there scheduled as well.  On the weekends I have to go to the Bar to get coffee, sad it cost $2.45 + tip.  I guess I should stay at a CY or brand X on weekend stays.  I would never, never, never use the coffee pot provided in the rooms.

token1 Platinum

I agree with all the comments. Why Marriott why? The policy is starting to keep us away from Marriott properties.  I don't understand why my business is not appreciated even more on those slow weekends when the property is discounting rooms. Recently my wife hinted that we should try another property.  Why not there is no reason to stay at the Marriott  and pay the additional costs. At times I feel my status means little esp on the weekends.

tmallon Platinum 1 Reviews

My wife stayed last weekend at a Chicago Westin for a mother/daughter trip in one of two rooms booked by elite member and said that they received champagne and strawberries in the room and that the executive lounge was open the entire weekend including breakfast and evening appetizers.  Makes you think.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

There is a sticky thread on Flyertalk in the Marriott forum on which exec lounges are open/closed on the weekend (the list is both for domestic & international properties), and if they're closed if they offer brekkie coupons, and if closed if they're key accessible, and if they offer free wifi or internet terminals in the lounge.

If anyone is interested in whether a property they're going to stay at offers the above, I'd encourage them to go to that thread & check it out (and update the thread if they have knowledge of properties) .  Maintaining the list takes a lot of work so I'm not going to duplicate it on Insiders.

And I'll trust Michelle to honor her word that they're not going to slap the hands of the properties who are customer service-oriented & find a way to make their numbers work yet still keep the exec lounges open

Cheers.

gic Platinum

I honestly find thedithering and noise from Marriott about weekend breakfast for Platinum members absurd. Hyatt comps breakfast on weekends to its diamonds which take the same number of nights as  Marriott Gold (50 nights). They must think it is worthwhile doing so, what do they know that MArriott doesn't?

Marriott continues to obfuscate and make excuses for not offering this benefit to platinum members which, after all, requires 75 nights not 50!  The result in my case is that I have cut back on Marriott stays this year to just enough to keep gold while increasing Hyatt stays enough to get diamond.

That is Marriott's loss and Hyatt's gain - and I am sure I am not alone.

So my suggestion to Marriott: stop dithering and get with the program.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

gic

thank you for contributing to this thread.  I especially appreciate the expanded vocabulary you brought.  I cannot remember either 'dithering' or 'obfuscate' ever having been used before.

Seriously, your comments ring true in every way.  Unfortunately, what I think doesn't matter.  Let's hope Marriott comes around on this issue.

safe travels

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I am with all of you.  I am not sure why Marriott is not listening.  From what I have read and my hotel choice change, Marriott must be feeling the reduced revenue. Now really, what does a breakfast cost Marriott?  What is the profit on a room that is being lost when we stay somewhere else.  The competition gives us breakfast every day and the resorts do so too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...