25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2012 9:52 PM by anadyr RSS

Off to the Southeast

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Wednesday I'll be on the road for the next two weeks on a surveillance (aka, a vacation) mission to the southern tip of Florida. Have been listening to a lot of Buffett music, reading a lot of Hemingway, and adding extra toes to all the cats that I see (in my mind not really).  I wish I had my new PP card to take with me but alas, it never came -- well there's is tomorrow, but I have little hope.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Key West, Florida, USA
Key Largo, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
  • Re: Off to the Southeast
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Have a wonderful trip SS.  I will hope for your card to show up express, or overnight, via the pony express, just before you leave!  We'll look forward to hearing about the trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Me too--I have a guard posted at the mail box

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Sounds like Key West!

If so, may I suggest a few "Out of the way" places?

Likewise, am curious about the Marriott Resort property.  Mostly great reviews but some not so good either.

Don't worry about the new card, when I check in the system alerts the front desk that I am PP.

"Cheeseburger in Paradise"?

Can you shoot me a list of Key West must- dos?  I will check out the resort for you as well.

SS,

I put it on another new post!

Hope it helps, if you need anything more specific, let me know.

thanks

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Driving or flying...or both?

Flying then driving, Virgin and Alamo

Enjoy! Keep us posted with updates! Was gonna invite you by for some 2bc and a sunset view but you're not in my neck of the woods!

Maybe someday and Monterey is always open for visits too,  Chatham in the summer I am afraid is a different story since we have many "friends" who visit and stay

"friends"......are they the same 'friends' we had who came to our home in the Caribbean every winter season to the point where the missus ran a shuttle and B&B service. Would drop off some going home while waiting for others who were coming in. Two years in a row we had EVERY week booked from November to April until I finally said no more.......

We actually like most of them and they reciprocate when we're in their towns.  I thought about installing a printed rate card and list of towels (like the Ritz) but was vetoed by my wife. This year is Chatham's 300th anniversary and rooms during the summer are hard to come by, even if paid for,

SS,

Make sure you take your time on the drive.  The highway is always very busy and watch your speed.  Typically a lot of motorcycles.  Try to make frequent stops.  At Key Largo, you can see the pub where Bogey was filmed in the movie by the same name.  Across the street is the boat from "African Queen".

Here are a couple of pictures of some interesting places on the drive:  This is a great place to stop and relax, shop, it's a classy place!  Likewise, stop and see the Marriott Resort on the drive South.

FH000018.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
        Key Largo, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort

Thanks Jerry--getting excited!

SS,

I hope you are flying into Ft. Lauderdale, it is easy to take the toll road to Homestead and then head South!  I envy your trip, am stuck in Central Il, and love the Keys.  There is a great place to dine in South Homestead, The Mutineer,  (Burgers, etc), its on the East side of the road, and is not expensive, just good food.

Yes I am going NS on Virgin to FLL from SFO.  Getting excited thanks for all those tips

superchief1 Platinum

I stayed at the Marriott Beachside Resort in Key West two years ago and enjoyed my stay. Don't expect a beach, but the pool is nice and it is located in a quiet area as you first enter the island. Although it is not close to Duval St., they provide a complimentary shuttle. A key to a pleasant stay is to get an upgrade to a 1 or 2BR with kitchen. This resort was built as a timeshare, so the room layouts are similar to MVC resorts with lockouts: 1 BR has full kitchen and living room, studio is small with sink and microwave. The studios are std., and 1 br are upgrades. I received a platinum upgrade when I was there.

This resort previously provided daily breakfast vouchers to platinum members for full buffet 7 days per week. I understand this has been downgraded (by corp Marriott ?) to continental buffet only on week days. There is no concierge lounge. The restaurant was pretty good and the bar had an excellent (and popular) happy hour. They even offfered premium wines 2 for 1. Overall I enjoyed my stay, but Key West has become too commercialized. I now prefer my weeks on Singer Island in my timeshares (Ocean Pointe and Oceana Palms). The downgrade in platinum benefits would also be a deal killer for me.

superchief,

That is a great report!

Never been to Singer Island, it sound interesting.  Thanks for the post!

Thanks for a number of reasons we are slumming at the Fairfield Inn (on points) which is a bit out of the way. Even that is selling at 269 a night! The resort was full even a full rate for the time we'll be there.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Wow, that's high for a FFI.  Tourist area in the season people like to get to warm weather, always charges a premium, eh?

Now at 279 just checked

SS,

That FF is one of the nicest ones I have ever stayed at!  They actually had a pool bar, and gave tickets to exchange for great drinks!  It was destroyed by the hurricane a few years ago and is very nice.

Are you going fishing?  If so, let me make a few recommendations!FH000008.jpg

• Off to the Southeast
    superchief1 Platinum

Even if you are not staying there, I suggest you check on the happy hour at the Marriott Beachside resort, if they still have it. They had excellent specials on appetizers, wine by the glass (including some good mid-price reds @ 2 for 1), and was very popular with the locals. It is also close to the Rusty Pelican, which was a good local hole-in-the-wall seafood restaurant. The snorkeling is excellent in the area. Enjoy your trip.

superchief1,

Great idea!  That would be a great way to check-out the Marriott.

• Off to the Southeast

will do that, thanks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...