12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2015 8:57 AM by infoage1985 RSS

"green" receipt initiatives

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone else run into hotels that are no longer delivering copies of your bill to the room?

I was advised by a RI recently that they are stopping delivery to the rooms as part of a green initiative.  They didn't offer the ability to check your folio on the TV prior to check-out.  So at check-out I had to stop at the desk and request a print out so I could verify the charges.  Unique, but at least I was advised up front when I checked in.  Guess it saves paper as maybe a few people are okay presumming the bill will be correct and/or  trying to resolve it after the receipt arrives.

Then at my next stay, a RI didn't deliver a copy of my bill to my room.  Nothing advised upfront... the papers were in a stack at the desk like they had been run but no attempt to deliver.

Has anyone else run into this?  How do you feel about the approach of you'll see the billing details when you get your e-mailed receipt a few days after departure? 

I would prefer to be aware of and, if needed, question any discrepancies before check-out.  I also need to get my expense reports filed and would rather not wait for the e-mail and then potential delays if errors are found at that point.  I've had several occassions where I've found erronous charges on my bill, at check out and/or items added after I'd checked out (i.e. parking charges... when parking was specifically included in my room rate)>

Your thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Louisville, Kentucky, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Louisville Marriott East
  • Re: "green" receipt initiatives
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

allyson

many hotel chains do not provide a bill 'under your door'  on check-out day.  they provide the look-see at the front desk.  I like the bill under the door policy of Marriott and hope they do not abandon this practice.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• "green" receipt initiatives
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I've had it happen everywhere except full service hotels, where it might be an endangered species

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

The RI put a bill under my door last week.

Frankly, I am sick of all the "Green talk", I cannot stand all the "Brochures" in the rooms about Green this and Green that.  The same goes for all the millions of "Green" trash cans I see around the country.  Was 1984 so bad?  To me, it is just another "Tax", that will get worse.

When I grew up, seven of us used the same tub, and had just one bathroom in the house.  We were fine, I just don't like seeing "Green this" and "Green that" in my rooms, I hide them!  That is one thing I think Hilton overdoes, and I don't stay in a hotel room to "Feel guilty".

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

well said Jerry!  1984 wasn't so bad, was it????

Reminds me of the US solar industry Jerry, full of hope and failed companies that we taxpayers have paid for and very dearly at that.  I I noticed at Costco that there are three different colored bins, each for a different kind of waste, but all had the same stuff in them!  At MVCI properties there is a separate blue recycle trash can which apparently gets thrown in with the other trash at day's end.  So, who are we kidding here?  We have been given an edict that CFLs are the future, albeit a highly dangerous one when they break, that wee must use green energy products, even if that electric car costs 40K, goes 35 miles on battery then need a recharge or uses gas, and oh yes, might catch fire.

Bandwagons are fine, but so is commonsense.

SS,

I'm afraid "Common Sense" stops outside of the "Beltway"!  You would have enjoyed sharing the conversation with NU and I about what we've seen and experience since our early travel years.  There really seems to be an element of "Hostility" in the FF breakfast room.  Sometimes, I just have to laugh at some of the scenes over food.  Many times I will ask the attended to tell me some of her "Favorite" stories.  Try it sometimes and it's fit for either "Candid Camera" or a Soaper!

Yes good old Candid Camera, Peter Funt lives down the road here, and is not a syndicated columnist.  His dad, Allen was a true pioneer of early TV.  I'm sure you and the Husker had tales to tell of things that were and now are!  I can recall getting to the desk of a Marriott hotel and waiting patiently in line, being told my room number turning smartly and heading for the room. No questions about upgrades, free breakfasts, etc., in fact on need to worry--the room you got was the room you got.

I am all for Green stuff that makes sense, not that seems to be making sense.  Hotelier magazines that I read online tout Green initiatives as a means to impress customers and save money--and somewhere in there is the need to save the world but rarely mentioned. Living by the Pacific Ocean but at 768 feet above sea level I think I am safe for my lifetime. In an earthquake I might need to revise that comment, however.  Thanks for that reminder.

SS,

I feel like a Christmas ornament, "All this Green is making me Red"!  When traveling, or at home, I don't need to be told about being "Green".  Someone did a report by following the trash trucks along with the recycling trucks and reported they all went to the same place, same pile?

Sometimes, I feel "It's" getting "Deeper" all around me!

Out here in La-La land they even check the recycling bins and neighbors have had there cans un-dumped because of an offending item! I asked at the landfill what type recycling we have and the guy sheepishly admitted that it was single pass--that all the recyclables go in one place and may be sorted out later if they have time, but the metals are the biggest profit for them,  Does it pay for itself?  WHo can say? I's assume it breaks even, but then there might be subisidies involved.

One last rant:  Here in the Monterey the Portola Hotel and Spa (formerly a Doubletree) was recently evacuated when workers mixed tow caustic cleaning agents together and sent over thirty employees to the hospital.  The Portola was the city's first LEED certified hotel and proudly displays that honor on walls in their tree filled lobby.  Someone asked the question:  How could this happen with LEED certification? Apparently there are no teeth in the designation to prevent this from happening only suggestions!! And so it goes.

SS,

That is so sad, but a true story.

When do you think the tide will change and this will no longer be an issue?

Unless the Earth moves off it's axis, never!

infoage1985 Platinum

For the third week in a row I have not received a receipt under the door on check-out day at Marriott properties. Each time I call, the front desk says "oh, we haven't done that for a year."

That is B.S. as I have received the printed receipt under the door every week (I travel 100%) for-e-ver at Marriotts.

So here's the deal. I normally tip $20 to the room attendant folks on check-out day. It doesn't cost me anything because I can expense it.

From this point forward, if I do not receive a printed receipt under my door on check-out day, I won't leave a tip for the room attendant folks.

I strongly suggest everyone else who travels on business do the same.

No receipt, no Room Tip!

Location Brand Hotel
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Louisville Marriott East

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...