9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 12:55 PM by anadyr RSS

Ethics 101

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What would you do if you knew someone was being untruthful to you? I had several fakers today with more and more fantanstic stories about their reason for needing a ride, one of whom almost got decked (by me and another person).  Rude I can take, faking I cannot! His revenge was shoirt lived but it made my job harder for an hour or so.  So, all you ethics folks out there, is it better to confront or cajole a person who is telling a tall tale?

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pebble Beach, California, USA
  • Re: Ethics 101
    dejamo Platinum

I'm sure that the excuse Tiger gave you was that his ride didn't show up......oooooooooooooopppppppppppsssssssssssss...or maybe it was his clubs didn't show up!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I say pick your battles.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

A tall tale is one issue. An out and out lie to achieve an advantage is another matter altogether. I agree with Husker....pick the battle. Sometimes it's better to step away and sometimes it's a necessity to confront. When there's no harm, there's no foul and I would step away. When we have control of the outcome (and you drive the van), we have control of the harm.

What did you do?

I did not even acknowledge the falsehoods, knowing that as the prevaricators reached the second line of defense, the entrance to the Club They'd need a better story, suhc as my friend called in my name, etc.  I noticed when picking up one couple later in the day that they avoided all conversation and made no eye contact with me, IN a way, that was proof enough.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

good job, steppingstones. I suspect their lack of conversation and eye contact may have had something to do with humiliation.

kayjbee Platinum

Several key points left out that would help with decisison. 1) Is this someone you work with on a professional basis?   2) How old are you and how old is the person in question? Not exact 3) How well do you know the person? 4) Does it matter if this relationship fails or not? 5) Is this a first time instance?

I think you misunderstood the situation. I did not know any of these folks, they were alleging membership in a private club but seemed not to now the magic words to gain access, they seemed uncomfortable but emboldened to go with me--a service reserved for Club members--but did anyway.  Long ago I decided not to challenge people when they made these assertions, feeling that the transgression was minor, and that they had to live with it.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

good decision.  there also is the chance that they are members and questioning there affiliation would then be embarrassing to you....

Yes they have paid $45K for membership, non-equity, so they can be members and I will not challenge that at all.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...