12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 7:35 PM by nanaglo45 RSS

Turning 62?

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

When I check for hotel rates, I always check all the available rates, not just the ones I qualify for.  Recently I was checking rates for a stay after my birthday and it dawned on me that I would be eligible for the senior discount at that time.  Who knows, it may be one of the best benefits of getting older....

By checking all the rates, I found that the senior rate at the Marriott Fallsview in Niagara Falls was 55 rather than 62.  It saved us a significant amount of money.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Turning 62?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Age does convey wisdom and of course, senior discounts!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

razorback,

Nanaglo had mentioned a while back that an AARP card will get the same rate as AAA, which I think is the same as the regular senior 62 discount, at many hotels.  I have gotten one and started carrying it for just that.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I think you only have to be 50 to join AARP.  I know other hotel brands have an AARP rate, but I don't know how Marriott handles them.  The money we save with the Marriott AAA rates pay the AAA dues; however, those rates are not always the lowest.

On occasion the AARP card has worked for 20% off a Marriott Restaurant tab on days when the PP card did not (weekends at resorts)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I have seen better rates on a number of occasions with the senior rate......now that I also have hit the magic number last year.

Belated Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday as well--always check all those discounts and they do vary as the time to book approaches, depending on occupancy.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks for jogging my sometimes forgetful memory. Just changed a reservation for this weekend to the Senior rate and saved some bucks!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I check all the rates. i have found AAA sometimes cheaper, sometimes not available, senior usually cheaper but sometimes not available so check all the rates to get the lowest

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

jerryl,

Exactly.  Never seems to be any constant lowest rate, so have as many options as you can and check them all, seems to be the way to go.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Weekend rates are often cheaper than senior rates, but during the business week the senior rates are almost always a better deal.

retiredbkr Platinum

Make sure that you check all rate categories.  In some instances you will find the senior rate lower however don't be surprised to find it higher on occasion than either the regular rate or the AAA Rate.  Also if you are booking in advance it pays to re-check rates as you get closer to your reservation dates as these to can change.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Yes, absolutely re-check rates over time before you travel. I'm glad you brought that up!  When I've booked several to a few months or weeks in advance, I do always re-check the rates, often weekly, even daily, after I've made a reservation. In many cases, the rate has dropped and then I cancel and re-book at the lower rate. This can result in savings of hundreds of dollars over a year of travel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...