9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2012 11:18 AM by anadyr RSS

Algonquin Hotel closed Oak Room Supper Club

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My husband came in a few days ago telling me about a story he heard on NPR about the Oak Room closing so a Marriott Elite Lounge could open.  I had no idea what he was talking about so I googled it.  I discovered that the Oak Room Supper Club was located in the Algonquin Hotel (an Autograph Collection) in New York City and apparently was closing due to reduced business.  It was famous for some of the musicians who got their start there (including Harry Connick, Jr.).  A Marriott Elite Lounge is indeed opening in the space.  The hotel is currently closed for a brief time for remodeling.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Algonquin Hotel closed Oak Room Supper Club
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

very true.  I used to be a regular at the Algonquin back in the late mid-to-late 70's.  It was a grand place.  The oak bar was also famous for literary types that would hold court in the bar.  It was quite a place in it's day....  On a lighter note, I am glad to hear that Marriott is putting in a elite lounge.  Especially because this is an Autograph Collection property.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Shoeman,

I was at the Algonquin, and it was rather "Old Fashioned", but I did like it.  The lounge was a "Step back in time", but it was thrilling to be in a famous NYC place. 

Thanks for the memories!  They remind me of "The Quilted Giraffe", "River Cafe", and that famous place, that was huge in Central Park that shut down, not to long ago. (God help me, I cannot remember the name of that place!)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

do you mean Tavern On the Green???  I didn't know it closed....  It was iconic.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Shoeman,

Yes, it has been gone for some time.  My friend was public relations director there, and go me in to all kinds of nice places in NYC.  This place was great, and thank-you for reminding me of its name!

Likewise, thanks for the Evansville tips!  I posted an answer to your question.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes it was a great place!....really sorry to see it go. Wasn't Trump looking to take it back over from the city?

• Algonquin Hotel closed Oak Room Supper Club
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

very sad

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I wonder if they'll bring back Matilda (the hotel cat that got banished by the NYC health dept) when they re-open? Matilda (and others over the years) had always been a fixture (and favorite of visitors) at the hotel.

vermonter Platinum 4 Reviews

When was Matilda banished? I seem to remember seeing her last fall, but not in December. I thought maybe our schedules were just different.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...