25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 10:29 AM by anadyr RSS

Civility

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I don't post as much as I used to and partially that is time related (I just started second semester, but have two great travel stories from the past two years if I can get around to it).  But I think one of the things we Americans have lost recently, whether in politics, ordinary conversation, or whatever, is the idea of civility.  We don't need to nor should we call each other names, even if we disagree vehemently on issues.

So while I think when we speak of Marriott we should be honest and appropriately critical, I think we should also consider the kind of civil society we'd all like to live in, which means not hurling insults, speaking badly without appropriate reason, etc.  I'm old school on all this, as in many other ways.

So by all means let's bring to Marriott's attention where they are falling down (and I think in most of our opinions there is a problem, especially with increased benefits from other hotel loyalty programs), but let's also praise where praise is deserved.

But let's also keep the conversation going!  Despite only subscribing to some posts and no Insiders (please don't feel offended, that's me), there's been nothing new for a few days.  Weird.  I am no longer an Ambassador, so I have no fight in this issue.

I just would like to see us all treat each other with respect and dignity, whatever our diverse opinions.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Civility
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Totally agree!  Probably, no-one on this site is "Starving", nor living in a tent.  It really seems that most of the comments and comradery are pretty positive.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof

Points well taken, all.  I know that in the past I have got a bit too emotionally involved, in my business that is called passion.  However, civility is a good practice in all cases.  For those that get too angry, the answer is to let your feet do your talking.  Our challenge should be to let Marriott know where our heads are on any issue and then let them make the next move.  Kinda like a restaurant that serves food not to our liking,  we don't tell them in an angry tone it wasn't good, we just don't return.....

Shoeman and Jerry,

I couldn't agree more.  I think we are doing a good job of letting Marriott know that their competitors are actually offering us the same or more.  I do not agree with the position that things have not changed in the past couple of years.  They have, and we who are Insiders know it.

My only point is that as I respect you and I know you respect me, so should we all.  It never helps when people use derogative terms referring to Marriott.  You both know I have written both extremely positive comments as well as very critical ones about specific properties.  To me, that's all well and good.  But it does no service to any of us if we simply diss the Marriott brand. And I feel the passion as you do!

Cheers,ProfC

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

prof

enjoy your weekend!  looks like you may have some snow coming your way

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

It's OK to "Constructively Criticize", but It is no good to "Beat on Marriott", with the wrong attitude.  Bottom line, they have been not just good, but great, to me.  Likewise, they provide this forum to allow us to share our experiences with others, who else is doing that?

I just thank Marriott for having a chance to meet so many other "Travelers", who contribute so much to my travels.

Case in point, I had a great time in Evansville, thanks to Shoeman.  I would have never experienced those places had he not brought them to my attention.  Likewise, I am already getting feedback on next week in St. Charles, Mo, remember I LIVE HERE, and it still is fun to get these suggestions.  I just want to make the most out of every day, and this site allows me to support that goal.

• Civility
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yep, but as you know self-restraint is a vanishing thing these days

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thank you prof, for reminding us about staying civil and respecting each other.  Almost all the heated discussions I have seen here have been as a result of forgetting that behavior, and it hardly ever leads to a desirable outcome. 

I love the Marriott chain, and only became more involved on this site recently due to my wanting to find out to make the most out of my travels.  I hate to leave money, points, or even a good deal, on the table.  Thank you especially, for your insights on helping plan our upcoming vacations economically, so we can make the most out of our cash and points, and maybe take more than one big extravagent trip

I only asked to become a Steward because I wanted to help, as much as I can, to have a part in making the site more helpful to all the users.  If the site becomes a little better, and we get Marriott's attention and maybe reverse the degradation of rewards, I will feel my 6 months wasn't a waste.  Here's to hoping that we all remember to stay civil, and also that Marriott hears our voices and shows it does care about some of the things we feel we're missing.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

tryt:

Thanks for the effort (to you and all the Stewards) and keep it up! You have the Marriott 'ear' certainly more than us 'outsiders' so we appreciate the willingness to step up and forward a voice on our behalf.

carguy Platinum 1 Reviews

Once more let me say I AGREE that it is time to quit bashing Marriott.  I like the service ,respect, treatment, and yes the upgrades, but more importantly the large majority of my interactions are not only positive but the associates seem to really care and try.  I realize I am not a world traveler but am a platnum, thanks to Marriott.  I must be really old school but I dont appreciate the tone of many posts complaining about freebies. Thank you profchiara, and also Jerrycoin who always seems positive. Lets move forward, onward and upward.  Thanks

The need to speak freely is only tempered by the need to be positive, to be civil,  and to be relevant.  If we can't hit all three, then the last two are an absolute

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I will step forward and let all yous guys know when your getting out of line...just my "spirit to serve' coming out.

Wait, we all agreed not to!

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Well said, Profchiara!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

With all due respect, not jumping on this bandwagon of bashing Americans in general as being uncivil.  If there are specific instances on this website they should be addressed.  And even then I contend it's the job of the Marriott moderator to make those corrections.  How people communicate in "politics, ordinary conversation, or whatever"  is of no interest or concern to me as an Insider.  If there are insults being hurled, where's the Marriott moderator?  I spend the vast majority of my time in the Midwest and the South.  I'm not encountering the same Americans who have lost their civility.  Maybe there really are two different Americas.

Hi Nuhusker,

I was responding to one or two recent posts in particular, but I'd rather not mention them specifically (I'm sure they can be found easily under Activity).  Let's just say certain words tend to be red flags -- and as you all know I am not a PC type of person, either with computers or with style. At the same time, I don't want to single anyone out for such content unless it is regular and repeated.  I simply think that we should be respectful even as we criticize.  I may have fallen short myself on a couple of occasions, but I think to be listened to we need to make our case in the best way possible.

BTW, Mainers are very civilized people!  You may have to live here 40 or more years to get the chance to be considered a Mainer, but even so the 'Ayuh' you get is a sign of love, acceptance and approval.

ProfC

I probably read the same posts of some frustrated, yes sometimes rude, Insiders that you do.  And maybe if there were do overs, they might choose a different word or two.  And it's interesting that some posts are censored/deleted and no one seems to know why, but others which seem to be more deserving of that action are left alone.  I suggest that it's the marriott moderator's job to make those corrections.  I don't have 40 more years left so I'll never be a Mainer, but if you root for the Huskers just once you'll always be a member of Husker Nation!

I could be convinced to root for the Huskers .  Since I'm primarily an NFL and Patriots fan, I don't have too much of an ax to grind in college football.  However, while going to grad school I did get to see Boston College (Doug Flutie) beat Miami 47-45 in person in the best Hail Mary game ever. That was pretty cool.

ProfC

Nebraska - New England connection:  Danny Woodhead, although he played for Div II Chadron State in NE, is from North Platte. 

Nuhusker,

Danny Woodhead is beloved of New England fans.  He was never appreciated in the NFL before he came to Boston.  But we love him and he sure did HIS job last weekend.

ProfC

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

nuhusker,

My only concern with the Marriott Moderator editing these posts, is that we don't usually appreciate being edited.  And there's always the problem of one person's evaluation of what is right, is another person's idea of something that is wrong.  It seems that if we have to error, i would rather we error on the side of freedom of speech and writing, and hope our talks of civility pay off

I can buy that.

OK, we are all going to make nice!  Right?  Show of hands?  Unanimous.

Sorry strppinstones, no idea what your point is.?

That should be steppingstones.  Sorry bout that.

we can all try to be civil

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...