15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2016 11:12 AM by mustanggt RSS

Marriott Courtyard Gatwick are not allocating Reward Points Correctly

storeport Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott Courtyard Gatwick

This hotel is incorrectly calculating reward points so I advise people to check their Reward Account - you need to go way back as this has been happening for many months!

They are using an incorrect USD to GBP conversion rate and you are getting short changed on every stay.

I have conatcted Marriott Rewards and the hotel management directly and although previous stays have now been corrected the system fault has not been rectified and the problem is on-going!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Courtyard Gatwick are not allocating Reward Points Correctly
    marriotz Gold

Thanks for this information I stay almost weekly and will ask rewards centre to backtrack all issues although I pay in GP not usd ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I also pay in GBP but Marriott calculate reward points in USD i.e. they convert what you paid into USD and multiply by 10 to get the Reward Points.

Example assuming rate is 1GBP=1.5USD and room rate was £100

Calculation of Reward Points points should be 100x1.5x10 = 1,500

Courtyard are using rates as low as 1.2. so the above calculation would result in 1,200 points.

These calculations are for Base Points so when you add the bonus (50% my case) it does become something of a rip-off.

I have already checked things out with two colleagues and thay have also been short changed.

I have complained to Marriott Rewards (numerous times) and asked for this matter to be raised with the highest level of management but I have had no confirmation this has been done. When I checked in this week  I received a letter from the hotel manager accepting there had been a 'System Error' which has now been rectified. When I check my statement it obviously hasn't so I phoned the manager up and basically he doesn't appear interested and blames Marriott Rewards.

In my last email to Marriott Rewards I implied that if the matter wasn't sorted out I would start posting the issue on the web because every reward member staying there is being ripped-off, hence the posting on this site.

I must say that I am surprised this matter hasn't been highlighted by other reward members!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks for the info storeport - let me look into it and get back to you

When I checked in this week the hotel manager was there to greet me and gave an assurance that the issue with reward points being incorrectly allocated was being rectified and my account would definatley be correct this week. I have just checked my on-line account and the points allocated are incorrect, just laike last week, the week before, etc. Marriott Rewards and Marriott Customer Service are a joke!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings storeport - Do you mean a correction to your account is wrong or that no correction appears to have been made? The conversion is calculated by an average exchange rate for the month as opposed to the exchange rate for individual day at time of check out.

barnhacker Platinum

I've noticed this issue before and it isn't just Gatwick Courtyard.  I strongly recommend you check your points for every stay everywhere!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I think you'll find that Gatwick CY gets a bad rap because we in the UK aren't used to part service model, as until a few years ago all UK Marriotts brands were FS and hence awarded points on both roommate and incidentals; CY is of course points on roommate alone and I suspect much of this thread arises from that. My last stay there in early July cost £75 (inc Tax, all UK Marriott prices include tax) and I was awarded 888 base points, absolutely correct, reflecting the ex-VAT cost and post Brexit state of the GBP... Erk!!!

Still a worthwhile warning however to check your points, I've just received rectification for July points shorting at Chateau Champlain, Montreal and a missing stay at the Quebec Delta. Now I've just found that the Lingfield Park Marriott has credited me just 74 base points on a £250 stay Thats 1/4 of a point per $.

In July I stayed at 4 different Marriotts for a total of 10 nights. 3 of the 4 hideously pointshorted me, ironically in view of this thread only the Gatwick CY got it right! If I didnt chase these up I'd be 20,000 points down

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

What a coincidence brightlybob!   I am being sarcastic BTW, as I ain't a bit surprised about the same thing happening to us at the same hotel at different times!

I refer to Lingfield Park, who clearly haven't got their act together 3 years after I had problems with them.  We went in 2013 with friends.  We stayed 3 nights, they stayed 2.  The bookings were made and paid for by me, using my rewards number.  I paid for both rooms on my Marriott credit card.  So I should have been awarded 3 elite nights, and points for the spend for both rooms right?  Wrong!

I liked the hotel very much, and was disappointed when I got home to find that YET AGAIN I had to fight to get my points sorted.  I had been awarded 2 elite nights and a weird, but clearly very short, number of points.  To cut a long story short, they had awarded me elite nights for our friends room, not ours, points on their room cost but not the extras, and points on the extras on our room but not the room cost.  Or something like that, I can't fully remember the details.

It took a lot of sorting out, and put the dampers on the trip.

Now you know why I keep a spreadsheet!

chobbits Platinum

Wow - some of you seem to scrutinise everything. Ive never been bothered to check it the points allocated were correct - not sure if have enough time to be honest

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Well, it is like this Chobbits.  If we didn't keep a record, we would be many thousands of points down.  Neither brightlybob or myself WANT to do this.  It is that from past and recent experience we find we have to.  I have never received thousands of points more than I should, but have often received many thousand less - or even none at all!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Now I sound mean-spirited... Mind you as a trial lawyer many would say I am

Actually these aren't that tough to spot. £250 of spending at the Marriott Lingfield receiving only 74 points is obvious! I don't know why Marriotts IT is failing so often in this now, and I certainly don't want to police Marriott but from my last 5 stays which should have totalled over 30,000 points I received less than 15,000. No huge amount of scrutiny is needed to notice such a shortfall!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Agreed brightlybob.  It doesn't take me much time to record and check.  But then I am just a leisure traveller nowadays, so not many stays to have to monitor.  I srill don't think it should be necessary though.

Very soon I will have a long quite costly stay where I expect to get approx 30,000 points and double elite nights.  I am taking bets as to what I actually get!

mustanggt Platinum

I have found it necessary to track my points very carefully after a history of missing or incorrect postings to my MR account.  I do not keep a spreadsheet as some do (although that would be a good idea).  What I do is keep a Marriott folder with a printout of the original reservation and a copy of the final room bill.  I hold onto that documentation until all points for the stay are correctly posted.  This has allowed me to quickly calculate points due in the event of any shortfall.  The documentation has helped me quickly resolve problems when I eventually call the MR account service reps for help.  I have found the MR account service reps to be very efficient in resolving problems.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...