2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2012 3:28 PM by fcc RSS

Amsterdam  and Basel weather in October?

seattlebb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We are considering a river cruise in October (Uniworld's Castles on the Rhine).  We would stay a few days before in Amsterdam and after in Basel.  What should we expect as far as the weather?  We'd appreciate any feedback from folks who have traveled to these areas at this time of the year. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Amsterdam, Netherlands Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Basel, Switzerland
  • Re: Amsterdam  and Basel weather in October?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Seattlebb,

You will have a wonderful time, the weather will be very good, just like here in the Mid-West.

If you can, go to previous posts on the two spots.  I have spent a lot of time in both places, but never had the pleasure of a river cruise.  You will enjoy the Renaissance in Amsterdam, there are now Marriott properties in Basel.

Basel is an industrious town, that has wonderful places to dine and try to take the street cars to see the town.

Just North of you from Basel is a place I always wanted to go, and have been close many times but "Didn't have the time to pay my respects".  It is the site where Audie Murphy won the CMH.  You will enjoy all the area, no matter what interests you have.

Please let me know if I can provide pictures or more information on your trip.  The Rhine River Cruise will be something very special!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Amsterdam  and Basel weather in October?
    fcc Gold 60 Reviews

Hi Seattlebb

We live close to Amsterdam. October could be anything from bright sunny weather in the mid seventies to overcast, rainy. Never really cold though, but bring a warm sweater, umbrella etc. Most cafe''s in Amsterdam will no longer have the outdoor terraces in service, but on the other hand there will be lots of events on, much more than during summer. At the other end, Basel will be very similar. During such a trip you will normally have quite a few good days. Good thing about the weather here is, if you do not like it you never have to wait very long.

Almost everyone in the Netherlands speaks enough English to help you out. Hotel:the Renaissance is right in the city centre, good choice. Be sure to mail the hotel and ask the easiest directions from the airport - this is not always the taxi, and taxis are certainly not cheap between airport and city center, I regret to say. Train or hotel shuttle bus are usually better alternatives. Ohterise, a pre-booked taxi can also save you money.

Have fun!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...