Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2012 12:27 AM by anadyr RSS

Exact purpose of the "Insider"

kayjbee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Ok, maybe I am a little confused. I have noticed that Marriott barley responds to any comments that are posted on this blog. I see that most of the answers are complied by other travelers and that they have no connection to Marriott. I have also noticed that what happens to one traveler can be different than that of another with the same status and or same resort. So, with that being said, what is the purpose here? Nobody has the authority to speak for the company, the company does not speak to those asking questions, so whats the point?  As a place for elite member to voice issues and concerns, its a total waste of time. It would be great if there was a interactive program or chat availible that had the power to solve problems or answer questions with the backing of Marriott. "Sir, sorry for your bad experience. You are correct in your discussion and that should not have happen. In response we offer our apologies and 500 points to your account." "Sir, the reason your account was dedcucted 1200 points was..."  In order to get that sevice you have to call and that inquire becomes private and nobody else sees the policy or remedy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Exact purpose of the "Insider"
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks for your interest in the community kayjbee!  Marriott Rewards Insiders is an online community devoted to exploring travel through first-hand advice and experiences. Check out our New Years Resolution for some more background and thanks for contributing.

As part of the travel community, we're currently piloting ratings & reviews for all properties within each of the cities listed here. There's a brief overview of this pilot in an earlier community update. Others have also shared your suggestion so we'll also be piloting customer support areas as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kayjbee Platinum

Might as well be talking to a bot.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Only trying to provide context kayjbee, my apologies if you've already seen those links. To your point about productively voicing concerns and resolving problems, the community has increasingly been interested in both of these areas and we'll soon have a framework in place to address concerns and resolve problems.

Feel free to send me a direct message if there's something else we can help with.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I think that the purpose is blurred--in versions one and two of Insiders there was no real discussion of much other than places we'd been and experiences we had.  I cannot recall much in the way of Marriott feedback but then I am forgetful!  Version 3, which we're now in, has had it's share of Marriott direct responses to comments and that's good.

Nonetheless, I see Marriott's Facebook Page as a place where comments are taken to heart right away and a response is given almost immediately.  I have no scientific counts for this, just my observation.

Bottom line:  We ought to be able to engage Marriott on Insiders and though we've come some distance since the first launch in 2008, there's a way to go.

kayjbee Platinum

Thanks - Seems to me, if I was running things. I would rather have people use the forum to voice than the more public FB. Yet, I understand why they have a better response on FB too.

Who can say what is more important to Marriott?  Perhaps it is Facebook at the moment?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I'm afraid it may be a numbers thing.  Facebook is probably getting a lot more comments and involvement, by numbers, than we get on MI.  We get tons of people signing on, but not that many active participants, it seems to me.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Good point tryt53!

seems to me that many of the new folks joining go through the motions but never post.   I have never been on Facebook, but have a feeling that the posts are likely more 'cool' and probably more universally relevant to a broader range of followers than the Insiders site, which most often has very narrowly-focussed posts.  Frankly, that is why I enjoy the Insiders site.  It is a very small group of people that can, and do, discuss issues from a very personal perspective, and most, if not all, have one goal in mind.  That is to make Marriott a better place for us to spend our time and money.  The intimacy of the site makes it feel more like family to me.  I cannot imagine having the same feeling about the millions who are on Facebook......

I want to thank Marriott for providing us with our own private playground!

Some of the posts are from people wanting jobs at Marriott--most definitely it is not only a travel site

And there is no requirement to be an MR member!

SS,

I think that is the thing I find the most bothersome (that they are not required to be Marriott members).  Too easy to get bogus comments when there is no control at all.

social networking--it's a pain!

I agree that it's a pain, and to me a waste of time about 95% of the time.  Then there's that 5% that gives me connections and benefit that I haven't gotten anywhere else.  The trick for me, has been how to weed out that 95% to get to the few good things I want from it.

Yes there is that!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...