17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2012 8:16 PM by anadyr RSS

do you think it was worth $30 million?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I see on the Internet that the four seasons Hotel group has just spent $30 million to revamp and revise their website. if I checked it out and found that it looks suspiciously like all other websites which advertise hotels and residences. I wonder if the company expects to recoup that money somehow? That brings me to the question of the day: what do insiders think is a reasonable amount of money or company like. Spent on design of this website? Would you feel less for more inclined to stay at a Marriott if you knew they had spent let's say $50 million on their web design? Or, is that something that you don't even think about on a day-to-day basis? For me, the ease of clickability in  web design is more important than the cost of the design or flash enabled programs that accompany many of the websites we see today. I wonder what everyone else thinks?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: do you think it was worth $30 million?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

steppingstones, you're right I normally don't give a thought to how much a business spends on marketing, especially the website.  But if I knew they had spent 30, 50 or ever how many millions on that, I'd tend to think less of it than more.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fitzit Platinum

I think if the 30/50 went into the reservation/rewards/check inout/mobile web/mapping integration it would be well worth it. All of my frustration with MR is with the inability of the system to operate the same across the board. Regardless of brand, a property is a property and I'm staying in it. I should get my e-folio, updates, points, offers and anything else web based the same from day to day and property to property. Simply, I don't.

As purely a marketing tool, a branding billboard, 30mm for a website is stupid, but I think a web presence for the brand is a lot more than that. They didn't just spend 30mm on pretty pictures.

Who can saywhy? According to a hotelier magazine article that's what they spent.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Interestingly, none of us know if $30 mil or even $50 mil is a lot of money for a corporation the size and scale of Marriott or Four Seasons to spend on revisions to their website.  After all, without a smooth, efficient website/reservation system, these enlaces are out of business.  My point is that maybe in 2012, $50 mil just doesn't go as far as it once did.  If you heard the GM spent the same would that shock you?  How about Google, or Zappos, or Amazon, or Delta?  Seems to me $$$ amounts mean nothing to me unless you have information to compare the amount with another. 

That said, I am not saying that $30-50 mil is not a lot of money.  I am not related to Romney......

me either. But, it seems to be that someone in the Corporation at four seasons decided that this was a wise investment. And yes I agree with you that this amount of money is essentially decimal dust as a friend used to say, and below the level of rounding for many large corporations. I guess the proof will come  when there is a metric that can measure the effectiveness of the new web design.

agreed

PS forgot to mention that the article which I was reading said that the average cost for a website for a large-scale Corporation was between 30 and $50,000. Of course that assumes that the Corporation does not have its own internal design team. Given that Marriott uses the jive company for insiders, it seems they outsource some things to a third-party. I would assume that a large corporation like Marriott would have its own internal IT and web design departments, but I am not sure that. Anyway glad we agree.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

$30 million? Think about it.

How many man hours would have to be used to come up to that amount of money. Websites are labor intensive man hour construction that deliver an intended result. Each click is only a new page as created by those man hours that links from the previous page. When I re-vamped businesses the IT dept Including website access was very important because it delivered a vehicle that would allow the customer base to access (and see) every SKU I had in the building (over 8000 of them); order those items in any manner they sorted through; allowed for checking status of order processing; delivery schedules; progress time on that schedule and allow for interaction to pay and receive records of any and all transactions for the previous 12 months and more. I didn't have an in-house staff to do it. My cost never exceeded $75,000 inception to delivery.

$30 million seems very unrealistic. Websites don't re-invent the wheel. I wonder what sourcing was used by the article generator to proof their data?

I wonder about the veracity of the claim in the article.  I built, as an SME, a website for a private firm and as a consultant only charged them the labor <100K. I used their folks as testers, had a lot of work done in advance when I arrived (much of which I had to redo or undo), and the site is still there and scalable,  So I know what you're sayng

• do you think it was worth $30 million?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Ok, I will take exception and go out on a limb and say that 30-50 M $$$$$$$$ is a ton of money and I don't care what it's spent on.  At some point you're talking real money!  And I assure you I am not related to Mitt Romney or any other politician.

for whatever its worth, i just saw an ad from accenture touting how they helped Marriott achieve a gazillion $$$ in online sales.  Maybe $30-50 mil IS a drop in the bucket ..  who knows?  hopefully Marriott does......

One can only hope

usapeace1 Platinum 8 Reviews

Help me out here.

What did Marriott spend on their Updated site????? Either not enough or they were jipped! Either way it sure sucks now.

For gosh sakes the opening page does not even work! Try it.With the five panels to choose from pick say the Vacations and the panels are suppose to change places, well the panel you select Vacations goes behind and stays behind the others. DAAAA.a sleep at the wheel in broad daylight.

I have complained numerous times to Marriott Rewards about how TERRIBLE the website is for Rewards Members understanding and reviewing their account at a glance. It was soooo much better before. Yes, I understand what has to happen behind the scenes with the multiple software applications they are running. But to not give details as what a specific Reward is used and when, plus the Date is the positing date not when used, plus the posting of Activities is lagging numerous days behind the actual date used.

Well that is totally screwed up to this PEM.

Must have paid to little to "Jive" or this is their Project Managers first project and go at pissing off the external customers, but he probably made internal Marriott's stuff with accounting much better for them.

Just another hassle in the business world to tolerate. Is there such a thing as "road rage" in internet travel cyber world?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...