Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

33 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2012 3:44 PM by profchiara RSS

Post-travel surveys

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

First of all, I want to congratulate Tom Coughlin, Eli Manning and all Giants' fans for a great game!  It was devastating for me to watch, especially that 12 men on the field penalty against the Giants that knocked about 10 seconds off the clock at the end, but today is a new day and it's just a game -- until next season begins.

Recently I stayed at a Best Western and received the following:

"We are committed to making Best Western hotels your first choice when your need for hotel accommodations arises. Your honest opinion helps us discover how we can best meet your travel needs at any one of our more than 4,000 independently owned and operated hotels around the world.  Please take a moment to complete this brief questionnaire about your recent visit to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Regency Suites Hotel-Spa, where you checked out on January 29, 2012.

To complete the survey, please click on the link below, or simply copy and paste the entire web address into the address field of your browser..."

In addition, I have received a similar kind of survey almost every time I have flown Delta (which is a lot).

Why can't Marriott institute this?  There used to be comment cards in the room.  I think perhaps a lot of fixes to the system could be provided (and perhaps without all our complaints) if they used Survey Monkey or some other tool to identify problems the way BW and Delta do.

ProfChiata

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Post-travel surveys
    iefbr14 Platinum 4 Reviews

I remember getting surveys in the mail, fill in the bubble scanned forms, with reply postage back to Bethesda.

This reminds of little kids...they cover their own eyes and think others can't see them.

Well, if you don't ask people what's wrong, then nothing's wrong!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Post-travel surveys
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

other chains do a 100% response as well, and  wish Marriott would reconsider their infrequent surveying, including ramping up :My Marriott Voice!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof

at least it was an exciting game.  not so great offensively, but great nonetheless.  too bad Gronkowski couldn't run.  would have made a big difference. 

I also think Tom Brady injured his left shoulder and wass not able to pass as effectively in the 4th qtr.

All true, but there were missed chances as well.  There was a point (I think) in the early fourth quarter when the Pats were on the 50 with only short yardage on 4th.  Belichick normally goes for that and it surprised me that he didn't given the 5 point spread.  I do think a healthy Bronk could have caught the Hail Mary. And Brady's shoulder has been questionable for the past few weeks, so that one crushing hit probably did affect him.  But no excuses -- they won fair and square.

But ah yes, back to surveys -- most of the hotels and airlines use Survey Monkey.  Is is THAT expensive?  My students often set up things on it. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Prof,

I'm not certain if we are referring to the same thing, but I'll share two things here:  First, I always get an email from Marriott with the subject: "Thanks for Staying."  It is not a survery request, just a post stay email with a summary of my stay, kind of like an e-receipt.  Secondly, most always, I get a post stay email from 'Marriott Lodging Customer Relations.' that looks something like this (below is an old one, as I cleaned out my recent emails just last week, and apparently didn't go back far enough):

Dear LORI FLEENOR:

We recently invited you to participate in our guest survey. If you have already completed the survey, thank you and please accept our apology for the additional e-mail.

If you have not completed the survey, we invite you to participate in our guest survey about your experience at Salinas Monterey Residence Inn beginning April 22, 2011.

To access the guest survey, click here.

If your e-mail program does not support links, type https://surveygss.marriott.com/welcome.php into your browser and enter the following password: FLAJEZZJVW.

By completing this survey, you may be contacted by the hotel to help improve the quality of service provided. We sincerely thank you for sharing your opinions as we continue to do our best to make each stay enjoyable.

Sincerely,

J.W. Marriott, Jr.

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Marriott International, Inc.

Maybe it's because I'm signed up for something in my rewards profile?  I know I'm signed up to always get an e-receipt email.

P.S.  I wanted to see the Niners go all the way, but a great Superbowl, nonetheless.  Very few penalties.  Very few turnovers.  The contest went all the way up to the last play, the last second!  What a match up.  Just what a Superbowl ought to be!

Dear Lori,

That's interesting because I can't recall ever getting anything but (sometimes) the email copy of my bill. Maybe it's because my stays are international.

ProfC

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Dear ProfC, perhaps you're on to something.  I cannot remember if I've ever any received survey requests for overseas stays, come to think about it...hmmm...

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I have never stayed in a Marriott overseas, but only occasionally (and maybe that's an overstatement) get an email asking me to complete a guest satisfaction survey.  I am not signed up for, and have never received, an email copy of my receipt.  I get it under the door before I check out.  I just think, as profchiara has noted that Marriott just isn't soliciting our feedback as much now as they used to do.

professor, there is a free version of the survey monkey available on the Internet for download and the full version is not that expensive. The poll which is used in this insiders forum looks suspiciously like the version of survey monkey I am familiar with

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I just got a survey about our last stay at the FI in Bremerton, but the Marriott surveys have been far and few between!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I get that type of survey request maybe once per year. That's once out of 50+ stays. I think they should send many more and offer 50 MR pts for any that get returned.

I wouldn't even need an incentive.  I love giving feedback, good or bad, to places I've stayed.  The problem is like you said, they don't send them out near enough times!

I wish we had a way to opt in to have a survey sent after every stay. That way people could decide whether they want to the frequent feed backers or not

Defintitely!

Andy can you make that happen?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Bummer.....but congrats to the Giants and their fans. They won. It was an exciting game but it really came down to two series of plays....when the Patriots had the ball on their 15 with 5 or so minutes left in the game they couldn't move it downfield. They had to punt. When the Giants got possession after that punt on their 12 (or so)....the Patriots defense couldn't stop the Giants. Game over. Just like four years ago......if you have the lead and the opposing team has to go 90 yards to beat you with minutes left in the game..... and you don't stop them you don't deserve to win.

But, to the survey stuff. I always get an e-receipt because it's easier too forward when I don't get credit for a stay. I have gotten sporadic surveys from that e-folio arrangement and I truly believe the determinant for a survey is now left up solely to the hotel (and not corporate) as  to whether or not they want one.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Just bought and I phone from Sprint this past week-end.  Three days later I got a computerized survey.  It impressed me, and I put in a deserving good word for the service I got from Sprint and the young lady who helped me.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Jerry -- most service related industries are doing surveys, so I am very curious why Marriott does not do so in the area that most affects our desire to stay again at Marriott hotels -- the quality of the stay.

What a concept!!!

Jerry,

You'll love your iPhone.  My wife and I have had ones for about 4 years now.  Now we have an iPad, MacBook Pro, Airport Extreme and Express, and AppleTV.  We may have not drunk the Koolaid, but we have definitely drunk the Apple Juice!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings professor and Insiders, I've looked into this for you and have some information. We do collect guest satisfaction surveys which cover a range of topics after a stay - many of you are already familiar with it. And while these surveys are distributed randomly a member will only receive four surveys a year. Of course you're welcome to provide feedback directly to the GM if you'd like. Hope that helps explain the process.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

I have only received those surveys a couple of times, and usually after our timeshare stay. I really think a quick survey after every stay that would be sent to the GM or training dept. after every stay would help each GM to fine tune his or her hotel. And, they would most likely get some great positive feedback, too.

Lake,

The practicality of a GM reading a review for every stay is slim to none. I'm not sure what the right number is, but to have to read thousands per week would mean they would somehow fall off the desk and into the litter basket.

They probably won't read them, but someone at Marriott should certainly be able to tabulate results.  We have a system for tenure that can identify 'flag words'.  It doesn't give or deny tenure to anyone, but it means you should look more closely at the record.

ProfC

Hi Painedplatinum,

I just added the GM, because the community manager suggested we provide feedback directly to the GM. And, really, do you think that every person staying at the hotel would submit a survey? I highly doubt it, but the ones who care would, or I guess the ones with complaints would, too. I think that any organization that serves the public would want to know  the customer's feedback in order to help make their organization the best it could be. When I am at a Marriott and have great service, I always try to speak With the manager so give specific compliments on the staff, rooms, food, etc, and to thank him or her for a great stay.  But, I would be a le to be specific with the good and the not so good with a survey. I just cannot fathom having a business, and not getting honest feedback about it.

Hi Lakeshore,

I couldn't agree more.  Since I've either chosen or had to stay at non-Marriott hotels because of where my research takes me, I have found it fascinating that Best Western and Priority Club always (at least for their European and Middle Eastern stays) solicit immediate response surveys.  I got a survey from the BW Premier Regency Suites Istanbul within the week after I left and then got a personal email thanking me for my stay and my response from the same manager who had helped with all aspects of my stay from airport shuttles to tours.

ProfChiara

That kind of treatment is always appreciated, when we get it!

Lake,

I wasn't trying to say that you shouldn't give your feedback. Of course, you should whenever you feel the urge. My point was meant more for the trend of corporate America to turn all levels of management into administrative nightmares. I was in a conversation at an airport about two years ago. There was a group of 6-8 folks waiting on a delayed airplane. The conversation turned to "how many e-mails do you receive each day"? Then how many weekly reports do you have to send up the chain ? Then, has your job turned more into CYA than actually performing the job title? All in attendance mentioned that the volumes of  administrative stuff was taking 20-30 hrs per week. The net result was they all felt it was a struggle to actually have an impact on the things they were overseeing. 

The Com Mgr mentioned that members should be solicited 4 times per year and are free to add to that total. I'm agreeing that that is a fair way to go about it. I think the GMs will get plenty of feedback without being overwhelmed. Just sayin.

Pained(your username always makes me laugh...I love it!)

I know what you are saying.  It makes sense, but is it working? I guess we will wait and see.

I am just trying to remember the few surveys I have received. I may be wrong, but I think I recall it being difficult to fill out because we had had many stays, so I only addressed it to our most current. So, it wouldn't have benefited the other properties at which we had been guests.  As I have said before, some of our stays are great, and some not.

I was just thinking about all of this, and i had the thought pop into my head about the virtual concierge...you know, where you get the email  about your upcoming stay? Well, why couldn't they do that" post" stay? It could have a survey you could email back, and then it could be sent to someone whose specific job it wold be to report to specific departments for improvements, and then also praises could be sent to employees who were mentioned for great service, and ultimately culminating each quarter with a staff meeting recognizing the employee or department(behind the scene  employees) who receive a "spirit to serve" reward.  I don't know...it is early, and I was up a couple of times with our toddler, so maybe My thinking is still a bit fuzzy...I am just on my first cup of coffee:), but I just think feedback is so important, and recognition is too.

Okay, I am going to refill my cup of Joe now! Have a great day everyone!

Hi Lakeshore,

Delta is doing that with all my flights lately, from the lounge to the gate agents and the flights themselves.  I don't see why Marriott couldn't do the same. Hope you made it through the morning !

ProfC

• Post-travel surveys

I heard that the mumps were going around at Foxboro but none of the Pats receivers were able to catch it

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I'll have to remember that one!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...