Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 5:13 PM by NathalieF RSS

Sudden and unexplained reduction in Marriott Rewards points?

williams2003 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, has anyone suddenly had points deducted from your account today (1/31/12)?

My account went from well over 200,000 points to just over 80,000.  I researched the issue and nearly every stay from now until 1/1/11 had the points deleted.

Marriott.com does not allow members to go further back than 13 months, so I don't know how many points were removed prior to 1/1/11.

I look forward to hearing from other Marriott Rewards members.  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Sudden and unexplained reduction in Marriott Rewards points?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Check and see if anyone else is using the points in your account,  Mine was hacked a couple years back and I needed to get a brand new one, fortunately with the points intact, though had I not caught it, there might have been oiints used by the crook. I think the MR folks can see you stay history for more than 13 months, but am not sure.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

If something happened to create a reduction in points in your account it should be listed on your "Rewards Account Activity" page that can be accessed in the dropdown menu on the marriott.com home page. If you don't see any activity or don't recognize the activity you should contact Marriott Rewards customer service immediately. They can tell you exactly what created the reduction in points.

Good luck!

dblanz Gold 2 Reviews

A few months ago my MR account was hacked. 1.1 million of my points were used to make online purchases on Sky Mall. Fortunately I saw the drastic reduction in my points and called Marriott. They had me complete a police report which I provided to them. They reinstated the stolen points with 48 hours. I changed passwords.

I encourage all who have significant point levels with Marriott or other frequent flyer/user programs to check their point levels regularly, just as you would for credit cards. Contact Marriott Rewards instantly if there appears to be a problem.

Good luck, williams2003, in resolving your points issue.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Agree. In my case I was asked to send a notarized letter to Marriott telling them that I was not making this up and not affiliated with the scofflaws who did it. As in any transaction it always pays to double check the records.  Thanks dblanz

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Totally agree! There is nothing better than  seeing your balance change and contacting Customer Service immediately!!

bazzap Platinum

I noticed that my points also went down 120,000 when I signed in this morning.

I think that was just a coincidence though and nothing sinister.

I phoned Marriott Rewards to query this and they quickly identified that a reservation I have for next week using a 5 day Accommodation Certificate as part of a "Marriott Rewards Travel Package" had been automatically! allocated and charged to my Marriott Rewards Points!!

So my points were immediately reinstated and this was clearly a problem with Marriott's administrative processes.

It was lucky I checked and picked this up though, which I really should not have needed to do.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Bazz,

My heads a bit cloudy..please explain what the "5Day Accommodation Certificate" is and how is it used?  The MR Travel Package is something you purchase with cash or points?

bazzap Platinum

Hi

Yes, it is the useful and best value option to purchase with points your flights and accommodation as part of a package.

You probably do know about this, I just did not explain it very well.

This is the option for all Marriott Rewards members, which includes 7 nights (although as MVC owners you can also buy 5 nights, but I believe this is only visible once you have signed in)

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

If this does not answer your question, let me know.

I have seen this, but never used it. The idea is to transfer your Marriott points to your airline frequent flyer account?  Could you brake down what you get for the points number? example....270,000 points gets a 5 night stay and two round trip tickets...

bazzap Platinum

Hi

Yes, in 2011 (I believe it is still the same for 2012, I hope so anyway as I will soon want to book another package) I bought a 5 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels with 120,000 frequent flyer miles for 235,000 Marriott Rewards Points.

I transferred the miles to my United Airlines account and used them for a return business class flight from London to Bangkok/Phuket.

This gave a significant saving compared to using points separately for accommodation and flights.

The package also includes Hertz car hire discount vouchers (I think 30%), although unfortunately these do not apply in Asia!

One added bonus was that I kept the Accommodation certificate for a later stay in the UK at a hotel that was subsequently changed to Category 6, but as I had already booked it was still valid. 

So, you don't have to declare the hotel? You can apply it to any you choose within the group (1-5, 6, 7, etc.)?

bazzap Platinum

Absolutely right.

You just have to use the accommodation certificate within 12 months of buying the travel package (I have heard that you may be able to later pay to extend this further, but I have never tried)

So for example, we used the travel package to immediately get airline miles for flights to Asia then waited and subsequently used the accommodation certificate to get a hotel in the UK.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

This is where Marriott excels---Customer Service.  Many people bash Marriott, for the points and the status, but when it comes to customer service.  They cannot be beat!  A friend of mine booked a hotel recently over the phone and was told it would cost 15k points a night for 2 nights.  After the stay he noticed that they deducted 30k points per night.  On Monday morning he called up to complain, and in one phone call the points were restored immediately!

iefbr14 Platinum 4 Reviews

Well, I wouldn't call it good customer service. Good customer service would have been not to take the incorrect amount of points in the first place, or, automatically restoring them without customer intervention.

But a speedy correction is always nice....mia culpa is always better than a denial.

Perhaps customer service hasn't gotten the memo yet....there's another discussion going on about how Marriott HQ has directed all hotels to adopt --and NOT deviate-- from a (low) common standard. Attempts by hotels to exceed that low, minimal, dismal standard will be dealt with by HQ.

Customer service may soon have to stop caring about customers so much.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings williams2003 - I believe this was related to an account audit as Marriott Rewards does not have joint accounts. But I understand this has been resolved?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...