17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2015 2:22 PM by mikesonacatalina RSS

Frank Lloyd Wright's Eastern homes

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Chicago.jpg

We visited the lovely village of Oak Park IL last September and toured Frank Lloyd Wright's museum and some of the beautiful homes that he designed in that neighborhood.

What struck me was the attention to detail, even in the window casings, and the design elements taken from native American symbols, as well as architectural touches that still influence designers today.

The museum tour is for a fee (a nominal one) but anyone can walk the blocks and see the exterior of these homes for free!

Absolutely fantastic and well worth a short drive north from Chicago.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, IL, USA
  • Re: Frank Lloyd Wright's Eastern homes
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Did not know anything about this!

Having spent 100's of trips to Chicago, this will be one of my first stops on my next trip.

On the TW tour they kept talking about how great Chicago is, now I know why.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Also visit Northwestern U if you can--a beautiful campus and not that far from these places.

PS--we have one FLW house on the point here in Carmel, when you come out we can check it out!

SS,

Never been to Northwestern U. 

I had a similar situation that The Professor had on my last trip to Chicago at Miracle Mile Marriott.  Sort of said "I was done for awhile with Chicago", but am thinking more about going back.  By the way, this tour boat on the Chicago River took me on an "Architecture tour" of Chicago.  It was a lot of fun and most interesting.  Here are a few photo's from The First Lady.  The last picture is the new Trump Tower.

chicago1.jpgIMG_0409.JPGIMG_0412.JPGIMG_0413.JPG

We also did the river tour and highly recommend it!

• Frank Lloyd Wright's Eastern homes
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Oak Park has a great Marriott too.

SS,

Thanks for the invite, and information!  Use to work out of Palatine and have stayed many years ago in Oak Park.  Thanks again!

By the way, I got the GC YouTube!  Thanks for that as well! 

So many places to see, so little time!

forgot that thanks

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

You left coasters need to get a better compass. If you're looking for Eastern Frank Lloyd Wright you'll need to take a short ride from Pittsburgh. That's where you'll find Fallingwater....FLW was at the top of his game!!  We stopped there a couple of years ago. Well worth the trip if you're in the area.

PP,

Thanks!

FLW used his commission/fee from Falling Water to buy TW in AZ!

Really got the "Bug", to see more of his works.

I went there as a high schooler in PGH back way back when.  Yes it is great, and like many of his places, it leaks a tad but who cares?

PS FLW also did the campus at Florida Southern in Lakeland FL, which is worth a visit,

SS,

I have a Niece in Lakeland and owe her a visit. This is great information, Thanks!

My Mom  lived there when my Dad was alive and we knew the retired President of Florida Southern, so we toured the place with him.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks Steppingstones - these would make a great photo album!

How can I create a photo album?

Thanks and I have more so maybe I will

CM,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!  Never have attempted this, but with this explanation, will be something to utilize soon.

Thanks.

mikesonacatalina Platinum

There's a great museum, figured I'd post the link in case you're interested in vising.

http://www.flwright.org/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...