15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2012 1:10 AM by anadyr RSS

Taliesin West, FLW's Winter Home

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A short drive from the RI in Scottsdale, (Or most Marriott properties in the region), is a real interesting place to visit.  Now, I am not much of a "Tourist", as most of my travels involve shopping and dining, but this place was exceptional.  Having no idea what to expect, I had a few hours of spare time, and decided to see FLW's "Taliesin West".  This place was a really moving experience.  Here are a few things that you might find interesting:

This place was built in the 1930's as a "Campground" to escape the Wisconsin Winters.  FLW paid $12.50 per acre and bought over 600 acres from the commission he earned on another famous property.  FLW, did not become known or really productive till he was 70 years old.  He was an interesting person that stated "If you are not making mistakes, you are not learning"!  So I guess there is still hope for me!  This place is not a museum, but a working school, where a few people pay $30.000 a year tuition to learn FLW's ways.  Likewise, there are people that have lived on this site for over 50 years!

The tour takes about an hour and a half and costs around $28/person, but is most fascinating.  Here are a few photo's of this most interesting experience.  Note, the last picture is the "Caberet", where most of the room is underground, but acoustics are perfect, thanks to FLW's genius.  He died in 1959 at an age of 91.

IMG_1873.JPGIMG_1874.JPGIMG_1875.JPGIMG_1876.JPGIMG_1880.jpgIMG_1883.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
  • Taliesin West, FLW's Winter Home
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry, we've been there and did the tour. I found his use of natural shapes and materials great and far ahead of his time. Also the fact that he made students come who had non-architectural talents as well as architectural ones--musicians were always welcomed as I recall.  Have you been to Oak Park and his home? Fascinating places, both and thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Taliesin West, FLW's Winter Home

SS,

Have not been to any other FLW properties.  However, there is one of his homes about one mile from where I live.  It is not open to the public, and is owned by the county.  Tours can be arranged. 

It is an amazing story of how FLR had 25 "Students" pay him to be apprentices and do all the work at his place.  Can you imagine how desolate this place was in 1930?  It was reported that if he saw any light coming from the city, civilization was too close.  Here is a picture of the desert around the TW.

IMG_1877.JPGIMG_1878.JPG

And I guess they still require students to survive building a shelter from what they can find in the desert too.

SS,

Yes,  it is a requirement that in your second year of studies that you personally design and build a place to live in the desert.  The guide reported this is a major reason a lot of people DO NOT sign up for the school.  They offer tours of these various structures.  Did not do that tour as it is only available on Saturday's and you have to have reservations.

Thanks for reminding me of this information.

We were staying at Camelback and the Concierge informed us of all the requirements--I can't recall which days it was open then, but thanks for the reminder. See my new post on Frank's Midwestern masterpieces.

SS,

Got the post on the wonderful Midwestern locations.

Drove by Camelback, it is so lovely, but I actually enjoyed the RI in Scottsdale.  Will report later.

Each has charm--we had two huge casitas at the Renaissance when we were there

SS,

It is a lovely area, but I did not see any Renaissance, are you possibly talking about a Marriott?  You know I love Renaissance but do not remember one.

Apparently it is no longer there. It was a takeover from a Stouffers and perhaps the CM can explain what happened

SS,

Thanks for the clarification!

;looks even nicer than when we were there!  A Trader Joe's is within walking distance too I can send photos from what it was if you'd like

SS,

No I don't need clarification, I will tell you that the RI, Paradise Valley is within walking distance of Walgreens and Trader Joe"s. 2bc for all!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

JC,

Nice work, as usual.

PP,

You are too kind!

Please keep the Las Vegas, and other updates coming.  We enjoy your posts as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...