51 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2016 7:35 PM by kirknason RSS

Anyone ever stayed at the Boscolo Venezia signature collection hotel in Venice?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am still trying to figure out my Venice stay.  I have booked an apartment through booking.com, but I just don't feel happy about it for some reason.  Venice is expensive!  The Boscolo Venezia would be a splurge for me since they do not book with Marriott points, so it would be about a thousand bucks for three nights (about twice the cost of the apartment).  The photos on the hotel webpage are beautiful.  What I would like to know from anyone out there who has previously stayed at this hotel, how did you like it, how close was it to the vaporetto stops (how far and how difficult was it to sling your luggage), how far of a walk was it to Piazza San Marco, etc.  I can see where it is on a map.  It's not in the San Marco Sestiere.  I'd really like to get some first hand info from someone who's stayed.  Thanks in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Venice, Italy Autograph Collection Protea Hotel Knysna Quays
  • Re: Anyone ever stayed at the Boscolo Venezia signature collection hotel in Venice?
    camscott Platinum

I have not stayed, but I am booked for a stay in March, and I was able to use points.  When are you trying to book where you can not use points ?

I have researched a bit about the vaporetto stops, seems the stop is a 5 minute walk, but I am trying to get more details about it as well.  If you are staying after March, I can let you know after my stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Anyone ever stayed at the Boscolo Venezia signature collection hotel in Venice?

Hi Camscott, We are looking at June 1st, but I can get a lower rate if I book the rooms on a pay in advance, no refund rate.  Don't know if I can wait until after March to do that.  Maybe we called too late and there are no rooms left on points.  I don't know.  I would love to hear about your hotel experience though, after you return.  Thanks!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

I have booked the Boscolo Venezia for two nights in October.  I would also be interested in any post trip information that you would be able to provide.  Its our first trip to Italy and any and all insider information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You.

eaglecroy Platinum

We are staying at Boscolo Venezia on points the end of this month (Feb 27-March 1) and looking forward to it. This is also our first trip to Italy and we use Rick Steves' guidebooks to travel Europe as a 'temporary local' (to quote him)....plus he now has free apps for iphones that can be downloaded from itunes to your iphone at home and used out of the country without needing wi-fi or using international roaming.  Check him out!

Happy travels...and ciao

What I would really like to check out is your hotel experience at the Boscolo.  Please share with us upon your return.  Thanks!

camscott Platinum

All,

I have just returned from my 6 night stay in Boscolo Venezia, and I can say that the hotel was wonderful.  We had a great trip, and the hotel was absolutely beautiful.  As a platinum member, I was "upgraded" from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor.  It was a king bed that overlooked the neighborhood to the left of the hotel and the Madonna Dell'Orto Tower.  We were offered a room on the same floor that slightly larger than our room, but overlooked the canal.  However, they wanted 50 Euros a night.  I said that I was platinum elite and should get this upgraded automatically.  He said that I had already been upgraded from a standard to a Quality (or vice versa).  I told him that we were happy with the room we got, as I did not want to pay 50 euros a night to overlook the canal. We had great weather last week and slept with the windows open and woke up to the church bells every morning.  We ended up enjoying the room and had no issues.  The hotel staff was very friendly and greeted us every morning and every evening when we came in.  They answered any questions and offered maps and directions.   The hotel garden is beautiful, and I enjoyed taking a cup of coffee every morning to the end of the garden and standing on the pier in the back of the hotel.

From the airport, take theAlilaguna Linea Arancio (Orange line).  The Madonna del'Orto (or Orto) stop was a very short and easy walk to the hotel (flat and no bridges).  The Orto is also the first stop.  Here is a google map link with the Orto stop and the walk to the hotel:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=venice&hl=en&ll=45.446727,12.332387&spn=0.001368,0.002401&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=9.144103,23.554688&hnear=Venice,+Veneto,+Italy&t=m&z=19

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Camscott,

Thank you for the update and map link for the Boscolo Venezia.  I will be spending two nights there in September.

Camscott,

Thank you for your follow up post to include your review of the hotel.  I had been hoping we would indeed hear from you again after your stay.  Your lovely descriptions are exactly what I had hoped and imagined to experience at this property, based on the photos and description on the hotel website, and your review confirms that everything is apparently just as nice as it looks and sounds.

Was it easy to get around to all of the sights from the hotel?  Easy to walk to St. Mark's Square, etc.?  It looks like the hotel has it's own private water taxi for guests.  Can you comment on that?

Thanks, and very happy for you that you had a nice trip!

camscott Platinum

pluto77,

We walked everywhere, and i would advise to do the same.  Venice is the real sight, honestly, but yes you can walk to all the sights, or a short walk to a vapparetto.  The hotel does have its own private water taxi and it has a schedule of 5 or 6 trips daily to St. Mark's Square.  I think the first one is around 10:45AM and the last around 5PM.  You will be given the schedule when you check in.  We did not use the hotel taxi to St. Mark's, the schedule did not line up with ours.  However, we did use it to go to Murano and take the glass tour.  This is also complementary and must book with the Concierge.  The tour was really a sales pitch as you can imagine, but the host that we had was not high pressure at all.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Here's some info that I put together for my trip 2 years ago.  Have a great trip!  Loved Venice!

Ignore the Map #, I had handwritten these numbers on a paper map so I could group sites together.

General Info:Map #
    TI LocationsPiazza Roma, Airport, St. Mark's Square, St. Mark's Vaporetto stopGet pamphlets (vaporetto schedule, museum hours); Un Ospite di Venezia
    Newstand/Postcard StandGet the € 5 map (not the € 3  map)
    Venice Connected CardBus and Boat cardGood on vapretti and ACTV buses€20.05 for 72 hrs.
    Pick up at airport upon arrival
    PNR  = CYR8FL9
    SI Tour - Sunday 11:35amDoge's Palace Bring confirmation, be at ticket office 15 min early!
    100 gms = 1/4 lb.
    Sites:
    Piazza San Marco19Piazza
    22Campanielle Bell TowerElevator to top
    Clock Tower (Torre dell 'Orologio500 yrs old
    26Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale) and Secret Itinerary TourSecret Itineraries Tour and do halls on own after (halls included in SI admission)Make a reservation for SI tour - € 16 Cost: Piazza San Marco museum card EUR 12, Musei Civici museum pass EUR 18, "Secret Itinerary" tour EUR 16 Open: Apr.-Oct., daily 9-7
    Last tickets sold 1 hr before closing. English "Secret Itinerary" tours in morning; reservations advisable
    23St. Mark's Basilica (Basilico di San Marco)Also see Treasury (Tesoro), Golden Altarpiece (Pala d'Oro) and San Marco Museum and Galleria (for best view of basilica's interior)

Go mid-day for best light.
    Cost: Basilica free, Tesoro EUR 2, Santuario and Pala d'Oro EUR 1.50, Galleria and Museo di San Marco EUR 3Open: May-Sept., Mon.-Sat. 9:45-5:30, Sun. 2-4;  Last entry ½ hr before closing
    Vaporetto: Vallaresso/San Zaccaria 
    27Bridge of Sighs and Prisonssee from SI Tour and from outside
    Grand Canal CruiseTake #1 boat from Piazzale Roma San Marco via Rialto boat, do around 4:30pm for best light, free with the transit pass
    70 minute Grand Canal Boat TourAvventure Bellissime Venice ToursDaily, 4:30pm, € 40
    Rialto Bridge10 & 11Shops and Market (fish and produce)
    Accademia29Go early or late to miss crowds, best art in first rooms so can leave wheneverMake a reservation
    La Salute Church (Santa Maria della Salute)31Built by plague survivorsPunta della Dogana, DorsoduroCost: Church free, sacristy EUR 1.50Open: Apr.-Sept., daily 9-noon and 3-6:30Vaporetto: Salute
    San Giorgo Maggiore Church32Best view from it's tower
    Elevator to top, no lines
    The Last Supper and the Gathering of Manna, two of Tintoretto's later works, line the chancel. To the right of the entrance hangs The Adoration of the Shepherds .  The monks are happy to show Carpaccio's St. George and the Dragon, hanging in a private room, if they have time
    Isola di San Giorgio MaggioreCost: Church free, campanile EUR 3Open: Daily 9-12:30 and 2:30-6 Vaporetto: San Giorgio
    Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari  (Frari Church)7Works by Donatello, Bellini and Titian
    Also see Titian's grave, Chiase dei Frari
    Campo dei Frari, San PoloCost: EUR 3, Chorus pass EUR 9Open: Mon.-Sat. 9-6, Sun. 1-6Vaporetto: San Tomà
    Scuola Grande di San Rocco6Tintoretto's Sistene Chapel, best art is upstairsNext to Frari Church
    Church of San Zaccaria28Bellini altarpiece, eerie crypt of John the Baptist's father
    Jewish ghetto2
    Ca' d'Oro3House of gold, free peek thru hole in door of courtyard, limit time to terrace and lower levelone of the most beautiful palazzi on the Grand Canal
    Le Fenice Opera House1645-min audioguide, 7 euros, 10am-5pm daily
    Diocesan Museum24Cloister and museum€ 4
    Ca' Rezzonico (Museo de Venice)14Museum of 18c Venice, grand palazzzo (Dorsoduro), last home of Robt. BrowningOpen: Apr - Oct, daily 10 - 6pm, last entry 1 hr before closing
    Wander thru Dorsoduro sestiere
    Santa Maria dei Miracoli34one of the most attractive religious buildings in EuropeCannaregio, Rio (Calle?) d. MiracoliAdmission 2.50€ ($3.25)
    Santi Giovanni & Paolo33Castello 6363
    Original Venice Wlking Tour2 hrs (45 min on square, 15 min in church, 60 min on back streets)Avventure Bellissime Venice Tours€20 (10% Rick Steve's disc. - book online or call direct)
    Scuola de San Giorgio degli Schiavoni25Don't miss~Castello, 3259 Corte San Giovanni di Malta Mon - Sat, 9am - 4pm
    €5
    Scula dei Carmini35More impressive?Camp Santa MargheritaDaily 9-12noon, 3pm-6pm
    Closed Sunday
    €5
    Torcello IslandCan take quite a while to get there
    BuranoLace making island
    Shopping:If buying a lot, bargain w/ owner:  Offer less and to pay in cash
    Murano Glass/Venetian glass jewelryprices usually no better on Murano
    Burano lace
    Silk scarves
    Galleria San Marco18glass blowing off St. Mark's squareshow Rick Steve's book to get in w/a tour.  20% discount with his book
    Strada Nova36Outside vendors, bargainsCannaregio
    Nightlife:
    Gondolascost more at night but worth it
    St. Mark's Squarecafes and music, lantern lights16 euros for a drink, cover charge and music!
    Hilton's rooftop bargreat views
    Dining:
    Accademia PizzeriaGood pizza, lunch, convenient locationbetween Accademia Bridge and Musuem
    Harry's Bar21very small Belliniby St. Marks; left on Calle Vallaressovery expensive
    Osteria Santa MariaWarm, chocolate tart; Creamed Borletto - bean soup w/ tuna, bream filet w/ asparagus au gratin5911 Castello (Campo Santa Maria near Rialto)Tues - Sat, 7:30pm - 9:30pm
    Tel: 39 041 528 5239
    Alle TestierePrawns in lime and ginger; pasta alle vongole5801 Castello (Calle del Mondo Novo)Tues - Sat, 12:30pm - 2pm and 7:00pm - 9:30pm
    Tel: 39 041 522 7220
    Only 8 tables - tiny, cramped!
    Caffe FlorianServed Casanova, Chas. Dickens, Proust.
    Sit at counter for less pricey $
    Located in Procuratie Nuove in St. Mark's Square (3 connected buildings)
    Hilton Molino StuckeyRooftop bar, amazing views!
    Monaco Hotel or Gritti Palace drinks and terrific viewsOn Grand Canal (from Doge's Palace, make right at canal)
    Osteria Mocenigo Charming, good service, affordable, not a lot of touristsSan Croce, 1919Closed Mondays
    Trattoria Da NicoWon't break budget, typical VenetianS. Marco Frezzeria, 1702 (near St. Mark's)Closed Sundays
    Taverna San TrovasoWarm, inviting, plenty of seating, touristy but okDorsodura, 1016 (near Accademia)Closed Mondays
    Hosteria ai CoristiOld world charm, typical VenetianSan Marco, 1995 (near Fenice Theater)
    Casin dei NobiliGet there before 8pm (opens at 7:30)Calle del Casin Dorsoduro 2765 (between bus station and Accademia Bridge… 5 min from bridge before Taverna San Trovaso)Closed Mondays
    Cava TappiGood for lunch, good wine by glass, fantastic Italian lunches, out the door to the left a short distance is a great Gellateria.Campo della Guerra 525/526
    Zucca
    BancogiroDuck breast and canal view (€39/main dish, desert, 1 wine)
    fun piazza that has more dining is Campo Santa Margherita

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Wow! Thank you newhiltonmember, for sharing all these great notes with us.  I will try to keep track of these until we make our trip in a few years

Fantastic.  Thanks!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Thanks for posting this useful information.  Italy is on the top of our European bucket list.

Glad to have been of help!

I have similar info on these Italian cities (and some other countries), if anyone is interested:

Padua

Florence

Lucca

Pisa

San Gimignano

Siena

Assisi

Orvieto

Sorrento

Capri

Positano

Amalfi

Pompeii

Rome

Buon Viaggio!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We would benefit from seeing all your suggestions.  We would like to spend a month or so when we go and could use all the help we can get to plan the trip.  I spent a summer in Rome going to school (about 40 years ago!) and got to travel to most of the places you mentioned.  I've always wanted to return.  Please share your other information when you can.  

YES.  PLEASE!  Florence and surrounding area; Pisa, Lucca, Sienna.  Will be the next stop on our itinerary after Venice this June.  Thanks!!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

newhiltonmember

Any information on Rome, Florence and Sienna would be helpful.  I have purchased guidebooks and researched on-line; however, insight from an experienced traveler is invaluable.  Thank you gain for your time and efforts.

Just a note, the restaurant comments in my posts are not mine... they are from other reviews that I found on various travel forums to help direct me to where I might want to dine.

In Venice, I did have dinner at Hosteria ai Coristi and enjoyed it very much.  The other nights I either didn't eat dinner (CL at my hotel was super... free food, desert, and alcohol), I ate one night at the hotel restaurant which had excellent food and service.  The other dinners I had in Venice were less than memorable as it is not known for its food.  In one case, actually the food wasn't bad, it was the bathroom that kind of turned me off.  Lunch was usually gelato or nothing after a large FREE CL breakfast with Prosecco and OJ. 

Here's what I have on Padua. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get here.  I was going to do it as a day trip from Venice or on my way from Venice to Florence.  Sorry to say that it didn't happen.... couldn't drag myself away from Venice.  Guess I have to go back again! 

General Info:
          Padova CardUnlimited buses and entry to all but University Anatomy Theater and Basilica of St. Anthony's Oratory of St. George € 15
          TI Locationin Train Station
          Sites:
          Scrovegni ChapelGiotti's frescoswww.cappelladelghiscrovegni.itMust make a reservation
          €12
          Arrive early
          Civic MuseumPinacoteca and La Croce
          Basilica of St. Anthony (Santo)Tomb of St. Anthony free
          Oratory of St. George € 2.50
          Baptistry next to Duomo€ 2.50
          Prato della ValleSquare - St. Anthony's preaching grounds. Claims to be largest square in Italy
          Piazza delle Erbe
          Grand Staircase to Pallazzo della Ragionego inside to vendorsSee markets before 1pm€4 & 2.5 audioguide
          Piaazza della Frutta
          University Courtyard (16th Century)
          Shopping:
          Dining:
          Pago Pagopizza2 blocks from Basilica, 59 Via Galileo Galiles
          Casa del Pellegrino Ristorantesimple, basic, hearty
          GromgellatoVia Roma
          Zairorestaurante/pizzeria, homemade pastas

Here's my Florence itinerary.

Highly recommend advance online reservations at the Uffizi and Accademia.  And you have to go to the Medici Chapel... gorgeous!  And, Church of Santa Maria Novella is a must see IMO.  Oh, they are ALL must see's! 

The frescoes at Museum of San Marco are wonderful.  Museum of Precious Stone... not so much.  So many wonderful places in Florence! 

Leo's Restaurant in San Croce and Cinghale Bianco were both excellent restaurants.

General Info:
          TI LocationAcross from Train Station; Near Santa Croce Church; On Via Cavour
          Sites:
          Uffizi GalleryBoticelli's Birth of Venus and Primavera,
          Giotto's Altarpieces,
          View of Arno River,
          View of Ponte Vecchio
          View of Vasari Corrider (passageway to Pitti Palace) - ck at Uffizi to see when open
          Allow 2 hoursMake reservation 1 month before to skip lines (1 or 2 hours before sunset)
          €10 & 4 booking fee

Open: until 6:50pm except Monday
          AccademiaMichalangelo's David
          Prisoners,
          St. Matthew,
          and a Pieta,
          Medici Treasures,
          Donatello
          Make advance reservation to skip line (11am?)
          €6.50 & 4 booking fee

Open: Tues - Sun til 6:50, last entry 30 minutes prior
          BargelloBest statuesCloses at 1:50pm daily
          €4
          Museum of San Marco15th C monestary, great frescos, and Fra Angelicas,
          see Savonarola's cell
          Closes at 1:50pm weekdays, 6:50pm on Saturdays
          €4
          Museum of Precious Stonesmosaics of inlaid marble and stones, exquisite, remnants of Medici workshopCloses at 2pm on M, W, F, Sat and 7pm on Thursday
          Mercato CentralCloses 2pm, closed Sundays
          Pitti PalaceRoyal apts, Palatine Gallery, Costume Gallery, etc.Ticket # 1 - €12
          Closes 6:50pm Weekdays
          OltrarnoBeyond the Arno, quarter of Florence,
          contains part of the historic center of Florence and many notable sites such as the church Santo Spirito di Firenze, Palazzo Pitti, Belvedere, and Piazzale Michelangelo.
          Santo Spirito ChurchMichalangelo's wooden crucifix, classic Brunelleschi interiorfree
          Giotto's Towerover 400 steps, no elevator
          Duomo MuseumMichalangelo's Pieta, Panels of Ghibertis, north doors of BapistryOpen til 6:50pm Mon - Sat
          €6
          Duomo  Go in AfternoonM - W and Fri til 5pm; Sat til 4:45pm, Thurs til 3:30pm

free
          BaptistryBronze doors, mosaic ceilingM - Sat til 7:30pm, 1st Sat of month til 2pm
          €3
          Church of San LorenzoDonatello pulpits in nave and Bronze doors, cloister w/ good view of Duomo, Medici Church and burial place of Giovanni MediciTue - Sat 8:15am - 5:50pm
          €3.50
          Medici Chapels (Chappelle Medicee)New sacristry designed/carved by Michalangelo, Medici's buried herePiazza Madonna degli Aldobrandini €6
          Admittance time: Weekdays: 8.15 am - 1.50 pm; open on the second and fourth Monday of every month; ticket office closes 30 minutes before museum closing time.
          San Lorenzo MarketLeather market - cheap pricesCrowded, be wary of pickpockets
          Brancacci ChapelMasaccio's art (early Ren)Make reservation  
          €4
          San Miniato Churchsee sacristry behind altar, fantastic Ren Chapel/SacristryVia del Monte alle Croci (behind Piazzale Michelangiolo)Summer: 8.00am - 7.30pm
          Free
          Santa Croce Churchtombs of Galileo and Michelangelo, Death of St Francis fresco and Pazzi ChapelCloses 5pm
          €5
          Leather School at Santa Croce Church
          Church of Santa Maria Novella13th C church w/ Masaccio's famous 3D painting of Holy Trinity, crucifixes by Giotto and Brunellschi
          Piazzale Michelangelostunning views of Duomo and Florence - go at sunset for best pics!Next to San Miniato al Monte, Bus # 12 or 13 from train station,
          go for sunset
          Palazzo VecchioFortified palace home of Medici's Across from UffiziDon't go inside, just see free courtyard
          Fri - Wed til 7pm, Thurs - til 2pm
          Medici -Riccardi PalaceLorenzo the Magnificent's homeMake reservation
          Thur - Tue til 7pm
          €5
          Wine Touravailable thru TI€ 15
          Arno River - stoll at night
          Shopping:
          Ponte Vecchiobridge w/ shops (leather gloves, gold)
          Markets at Muovo and San Lorenzoshopping
          Santa Croce Leather Schoolleather and gold market, good deal on gloves across Piazaa
          San Lorenzo Outdoor market
          Sbigoli Terrecottewine stopper €10 made from terre cotta as roof tilesVia Sant 'Egidio 4r
          San Miniato Church€5 honey (drizzle over pecorino - classic Tuscan starter), made by Benedictine monksVia delle Porte Sante
          Nightlife:
          Dining:
          Leo in S. Croceupscale, Dr. Silverman recommendationVia Torta, 7rClosed Monday
          Tel 055 210829
          Cinghale Bianco white boarin Oltarno district
          Mama Ginas
          Buca Mario Looks nice, 16th c stone walls, Pappa al Pomodoro (soup), Ribollita (soup)Piazza degli Ottaviani 16r (south of Santa Maria Novella church)Tel 055 214179
          www, bucamario.it
          Ristorante la MartiniccaCute!!!  Menu looks good!Via del Sole 27rClosed Sunday
          Tel 055 218928
          www.ristorante-lamartinicca.com
          Antica Mescita San NiccoloReally cute!!!  Vaulted rooms, simple but nice!Via San Niccolo 60r (not far from Ponte alle Grazie)Tel 055 2342836
          osteriasanniccolo
          Antica Ristorante Paolihighly recommended, have Ribollita for an appetizerVia dei Tavolini, 12rTel 055 216215
          La LoggiaReally cute, great sunsets and view of Florence, bit more expensive but good food and fab viewPiazza Michelangelo
          Tattoria BaldovinoDr Silverman recommendation lunchVia San Giuseppe 22r (Piazza Santa Croce )
          Enotecca BaldovinoDr Silverman recommendation lunchVia San Giuseppe 18r (Piazza Santa Croce )
          SemidivinoPasta stuffed w/ pear & gorganzola w/ pinenuts and balsamic cream sauce, scottiglia di cinghaile (boar), reasonable!!, 2 recommendsVia S. Gallo 22rLunch and dinner
          Cipolla RossaBest we had in Florence, filet of beef w/ porcini mushroom, vege risotto in parmigiano crust bowl meling into risotto, bruchettaVia de' Conti, 53
          Tavern del BronzinoBeautiful room, amazing service, exquisite food, one of best meals anywhere.Via della Ruote 27r
          Osteria all'Antico Mercato#1 tripadvisor recomm in Florence, friendly staff, speak english,ask for Luigi, excellent price, good atmosphere… I didn't think much of pics!
          Enotecca Pinchiorri

Here's my Lucca info. 

I did Lucca and Pisa as a one-day trip from Florence.  Highly recommend getting to Pisa's Field of Miracles late afternoon for the best light for photos... the color on the buildings is amazing!

Be sure to see the Volto Santo in Lucca's San Martino Cathedral!

General Info:
          Train from Florence - 1 1/2 hours
          Train to Pisa - 1/2 hour
          Sites:
          Ramparts
          Roman Amphitheater
          Via FillungoPedestrian drag from amphitheater almost to Cathedral
          # 97 - classic jewelry store w/ T-shape arrangement
          # 58 - Di Simo Café - Puccini drank coffee here
          # 67 - Surviving 5-story tower house
          Torre delle Ore - clock tower across from # 45-43
          San Martino Cathedralstarted in 11th C Piazza San Martino
          Puccini's HouseCorte San Lorenzo 9
          Shopping:
          Dining:Local specialties: Ceci - cheap snack (garganzo bean crepe) and Tordelli - homemade ravioli
          Ristorante Canuleiasmaller portions, freshVia Canuleia 1412:30 - 2pm
          Locanda di Baccoinnovative twist on traditional dishesClosed Tuesday, Wed - Mon 12 - 3pm
          Buca di Sant 'Antoniolocal favorite, 225 yrs old, house special - bean soup (farro), tortini pies filled w/ ricottaVia della Cervia 3Closed Sun and Mon evenings, dinner from$43

Here's Pisa info:

Make sure you have time to see the Cathedral and Baptistry in addition to the Tower!

General Info:
          Lucca to Pisa train - 1/2 hour
          Pisa to Florence train - 1 1/4 hour
          Sites:
          Field of MiraclesLeaning Tower of Pisa (bell towerBus from train station - 15 min.  Use bus LAM ROSSA across from train stn in front of Jolly hotel
          €0.95 ticket from tobacco shops
          Get off bus at Piazza Manin by gate to Fld of Miracles

To return: catch bus in front of BNL Bank across from drop off
          CathedralSee Pisano carvings in Duomo and Baptistry, Pisano pulpits, bronze back doors at Tower end, mosaic in nave behind altar (Chirsit the Ruler of All) between Mary & John the Baptist, dome, Incense burner hanging from ceiling, St. Ranieri's mummified remains at altar, tomb of HRE Henry VII€2 or get €6 combo ticket for Cathedral and Baptistry
          BaptistryLargest in Italy, interesting pulpit and interior€5 or get €6 combo ticket for Cathedral and Baptistry
          If walking to Fld of Miracles:Piazza della Vettovaglie - produce market 1 block noth of ArnoM - Sat 8am-1pm
          Piazza dei Cavalieri - see ancient clock, colorfully decorated palace, Medici statue and church
          Church of San Sisto - Romanesque style (San Francesco?)
          San Frediano Church
          San Matteo Chruch
          San Nicola Church - strange bell tower
          Church di Santa Maria della Spina
          Shopping:
          Dining:
          La SfiziaChocolate (hot?, I think!)
          Osteria dei CavalieriApps good, main dishes not so muchPiazza dei Calalieri

Here is info on San Gimignano. 

Loved this town!!!  Stopped on my way from Florence to Siena for a few+ hours.  Loved my lunch: wine tasting and a platter of meats and cheeses at the Convent wine store!  Even bought a couple of bottles to enjoy on the rest of my trip.

And, purchased a great leather bag here at a very fair price.

General Info:
          25 miles from Florence and Siena
          14 towers still standing
          Parking in any of 3 public lots outside centershuttle bus to old town
          Sites:
          Stroll around and relax!
          Do Rick Steve's self-guided walkPorta San Giovanni at bottom of town
          Piazza della Cisterna (13th C well)
          The Towers - orig. 60, now 14
          Piazza Duomo - faces former Cathedral
          Duomo - 14thC Gothic art 3.50 euros
          Hike up hill (church on left) to fortress shell, olive grove, go left to top of tower (few steps) for best viewsfree 
          Sant Agostino Chuch - friendly friars and some good frescos.free but lights - .50 euros
          Enotecas!Convent Wine Store and attached salumeriaGreat for wine tasting and some cheese/salami!
          Good shopping per Irene
          Dining:
          Trattoria Chiribiri Pastas and desers, excellent pricesjust inside Porta San Giovanni, Piazza della Madonna 111am - 11pm
          La Mangiatoiasplurge - 10 euro pastas, 17 euro secondinear P:orta San Matteo at Via Mainardi 5Wed - Mon 12:30 - 2:30pm and 7:30 - 9:30pm
          Locanda di Sant 'Agnostinocheap and cheeryfaces ChurchDaily 11am - 10pm
          E Vecchi Muradine on terrace overlooking valley, excellent menu

Here's Siena...

Have to say that San Gim, Siena, and Assisi were my favorite towns!

Antica Osteria da Divo and La Taverna di San Giuseppe were my favorite restaurants!

Although not listed in my siteseeing (because I stumbled across it!  ), I highly recommend a visit to the Basilica of San Francesco.  Read about the Eucharistic Miracle beforehand:

http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/english_pdf/Siena.pdf

The Duomo and the Piccolomini Library are stunning!

I'd love to go back and spend more time!

My avatar is my San Gimignano convent wine on the window sill of my Siena hotel at sunset.  Gorgeous views and even more gorgeous sunsets!

General Info:
          Hotel - Palazzo Ravizza (free parking)Piano dei Mantellini, 34
          53100 Siena
          free parking
          tel: 0577 280 462
          My Name is Duccioticket covers Duomo, Duomo Museum, and Baptistry Buy at Museum to skip the line at Duomo10 euros
          Sites:
          Il CampoMain Square
          City HallDominates square
          Torre del Mangia300 steps!  Tallest secular tower
          Chapel at base of Towerthanks for ending Black Death
          Fountain of Joy
          Civic Museumsee frescos of "Effects of Good and Bad Gvt" by Lorenzetti
          Good panoramic view from Salla della Pace
          7.50 euro or 11 euro w/ Santa Maria della Scalla
          Santa Maria della Scala
          DuomoCorrer marble pulpit on backs of lions, Michelangelo statues, Bernini sculptures, inlaid marble floors, stain glass windows (copy of Duccio's Rose Window)Included in My Name ticket
          Open Sun 1:30 - 5:30, Mon 10::30 - 6:30pm
          Piccolomini Libraryfrescos telling story of Pope Pius II
          Heads of 172 popes - look up! Same 4 faces!
          Slaughter of the Innocents On floorof far NW side (10 o'clock position)
          Berini's Chapelmidway right side
          Piccolomini AltarMichelangelo's statue by door leading to shop
          Duomo Museum (Museo dell 'Opera e PanoramaOriginal of Duccio Rose Window, Donatello's Madonna and Child, Pisano's scultpures - ground floor
          Upstairs on left - Duccio's Maesta
          Climb onto the Panorama del Facciatome for great view of Siena (at landing just before top floor, turn right and walk past wthe rooms, go thru small door to stairwell.  Climb down steps and up spiral stairs to view point)10am - 5pm
          BaptistryBronze panels, Angels by Ghiberti, Donatello adorning pedistal of baptismal font; Crypt10am - 5pm
          Included in My Name ticket
          Santa Maria della Scalasee St. Catherine's Oratory, the small chapel where she prayed & rec'd visions.  Nail said to be from Jesus' cross is on altarChapel is free but must pay for rest of museum
          Church of San Domenicosee thumb of St. Catherine and chain she used to scourge herself with, her head is atopo altar in chapel (15 ft to left)free
          Sanctuary of St. Catherineher home.  She helped convince Pope to return to Rome from France.  See wooden crucifix when rec'd stigmata (in church on right), down stairs on left of ktichen is her roon
          Dining:
          Wine BarEnoteca ItalianaIn FortezzaClosed Sunday, Open til midnight
          Antica Osteria da DivoGreat reviews!
          Osteria Sotto le Fronti
          Cane e Gatto
          Osteria Nonna Ginaamazing, very reasonable, good reviews
          Osteria il Campacciogood food, affordable prieces
          Ristorante Guidoriccioedge of campo, nice place, favorite meal
          Osteria del Gattogreat dinner, best lunch
          Bagogaby Santa Catherina
          LaFinestawild boar, truffles, mushroomsPiazza del Mercato,14  behind Town Hall
          La Taverna di San Giuseppedinner was one of the best meals, really cool looking!!!! I have to go here!!!Via Giovanni Duprè 132 - 400 meters from Piazza del Campo

Newhiltonmember, You are woman and I hear your roar!  Thank you SO much.  I cannot wait to sink my teeth into all of this.  I've been focused on Paris, but it's time to move on to the Italy leg.  I really want to make my short stay in Florence count, so thanks again.  Someday when I retire, I'd love to return to the area for a more extensive visit, so all of this is very much appreciated.  You certainly have the goods on Italy!

Thanks.

P.S.  I loved Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Capri.  Worthy of a return trip all by itself.  Didn't care much for Naples, but really enjoyed Pompeii.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Of the towns you mention, Assisi (by far) and Siena are my favorite.  Pisa is easy to see in part of a day and Florence got old for me (sorry to say!) after many stays.  I keep changing my favorite big city in Italy, and for a while it was Florence till I started to see a darker side, no doubt connected to its medieval/Renaissance past; Rome I learned to love utterly, though I've now seen most.  The city I go back to most, which I hated the first time, is Venice, which I now love most of all.  Of the smaller cities, definitely, Assisi (if you know anything of St. Francis or St. Clare, you will immediately understand how this area produced what could almost be considered nondenominational saints), Siena, Montepulciano, Montalcino, and Lucca). 

ProfC

Here is Assisi.  Absolutely loved this little town.  The Basilica is jaw-dropping gorgeous!  Had the absolutely best gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce at Ristorante Medioevo!!!

Also, make sure you go to Santa Maria degli Angeli which is the church in the town below Assisi.  It is a huge basilica built over St. Francis' original church.... literally over it!  His tiny original church still stands within this church.

Santa Maria degli Angeli.jpg

General Info:
          Hotel Sole
          TIPiazza del comune
          Combo Ticket - 4.50 euro/1 day Includes audioguide for 3 minor sites - Rocca Maggiore (castle), Pinotecca (paintings) and restore Roman Forum
          Mini-buses  - 1 euroConnect top and bottom of town Only a 15 min. walk down, but walk up is hard
          Internet AccessCaffee Duomo (facing Cathedral of San Rufino)Free internet w/ drink purchase
          Sites:
          See Rick Steves' Walk:Roman Amphitheatercircle counter-clockwise, go up stairs to top of hill for aerial view of theater, view of fortress in distance, walk down lane to city gate and Umbrian view
          Umbrian Viewgo out Pota Perlice for great view, view of Rocca Maggiore (big fortress, interior is pretty bare), Rocca Miniori (little fortress), go back thru gate via Porta Perlici, down hill
          Cathedral of San RufinoFrancis and Clare baptized here
          Best Romanesque facades
          Crypt: 3 Euro
          Crypt times: 10am - 1pm, 3pm-6pm
          Church times: 7am - 12:30pm, 2:30 - 7pm
          Medieval Architecture12th - 14th C pink limestone pavements and arches and flowering balaconies
          # 6b Via Sermei - mechanized figures and Nativity
          Basilica of St. Clare (Santa Chiara)founder of Poor Clares
          Chapel of Crucifix of San Domiano (on right, spoke to Francis "Go rebuild my church, etc.")
          Stairs from nave to tomb of St. Clare (at far end)
          Opposite end between stairs (Saint's relics, hair, etc.
          6:30am - Noon, 2pm -- 7pm daily
          Another Umbrian Viewleave church, on left is convent headqtrs of Poor Clare's.
          Below are olive gardens, great views
          Arches & Artisians# 1b Corso Mazzini - printing pres for fake Jewish docs to escape Nazis
          #14d Corso Mazzini - olive wood carvings
          Piazza del Comune
          Roman Forum (Foro Romano) below Piazza del Comune
          Temple of Minerva/Christian Church1st C. BC, church now 17th C Baroque, original Roman floors, drains for bloody sacrifices
          Church of Santo Stephanosurrounded by cypress, fig and walnut trees
          Via San Francescomain road from town to basilica
          Basilica of San Francesco (St. Francis)3 parts: Upper basilica, Lower basilica, and Saint's tomb

See guidebooks
          Basilica - free, 6am - 6:45pm (6pm in winter)
          Relic Chapel in lower Basilica - 9am - 6pm
          Upper Basilica - 8:30am - 6:45pm (6 in winter)
          Audioguides outside lower basilica: 4-5 euros, 9am - 5pm
          Below Town (see on way in or way out)St. Mary of the Angels (Santa Maria degli Angeli) - spot where Francis lived, worked, and died and where crucifix spoke to him6:15am - 12:50pm, 2:30 - 7:30pm
          Shopping:
          Via San Ruffinooff Piazza del Comune
          Corso Mazzinioff Piazza del Comune
          Dining:
          Ristorante MedioevoSplurge, music
          Beef and game
          Sagrentino wine
          Via Arcodei Priori 4 (from Piazza Comune, hike down hill 2 blocks)Tues - Sunday
          12:30 - 3pm and 7:30 - 10:45pm
          Caffe Duomofree internet if order a drink
          Locanda del PodestaUmbrian sauage, gnocchi, lamb chopsSan Giacomo 6c (5 min. walk uphill from Basilica)Thur - Tues
          Noon - 2:30 and 7pm - 9:30pm
          La Locanda del CardinaItalian, vegge, eclecticPiazza del Vescovado 8
          Trattoria PallottaVicolo della Volta Pintan, 3tel: 075 812649
          Ristornate da CeccoPiazza San Pietro 8tel: 075812437
          Ristorante MetastasioromanticVia Metastasio 8Tel: 075816525
          La Taverna dei Consolioutdoor seatingPiazza del ComuneTel: 075812516

Here is Orvieto.  Another great hill town with another amazing Duomo! 

Bought a couple of bottles of their wonderful Orvieto Classico wine and some ceramics.

General Info:
          Park in Campo della Fiera garage (surveillance) or multi-story indoor lot on Via RomaWhite lines - free
          Blue lines - pay and display slip
          Back in so trunk is against wall
          TI Piazza Duomo 24 (on Cathedral Square)
          18 euro Carta Unica
          Hotel PicchioHas luggage storage availableVia G. Salvatori 17Tel 0763 301144
          Sites:
          Torre del MoroElevator then 173 steps to topAre there views where elevator stops?
          DuomoChapel of the CorporalCorpus Christi (body of Christ)
          bloody cloth
          communion wafer
          free
          7:30am - 12:45pm, 2:30pm -6:15pm
          High Altar14th C stained glass
          organ
          pieta
          alabaster rose window
          free
          Chapel of San BrizioMust see!
          Follow story of frescoes (counter clockwise)
          5 euro (included in 18 euro Carta Unica)
          Museo Claudio Fains e Museo Civico1st floor balcony has great view of Cathedral. Or top floor?Former palace, opposite DuomoTues  - Sun
          10am - 5pm
          4.50 euro
          Views - ramparts of far west end of town and Church of San Giovanni496 steps up and downNot much to see but amazing 16th C architecture4.50 euro
          St. Patrick Well
          Shopping:
          Classico Wine - Orvieto Classico White Wine
          Ceramics/PotteryVia del Duomo
          Dining:
          Trattorio Etruscorekuavke fiid50 yards from Duomo
          L'Asino d'OroVicolo del Populo 9closed Tuesdays

Here is Sorrento.  I liked staying here as it is more convenient to Capri and Pompeii.  Can do day trips to Amalfi and Positano.  Also, has a larger selection of restaurants than Amalfi and Positano.

Foreigner's Club is a great place for lunch and cocktails... the view is stunningly beautiful!

General Info:
          7:30pm - Corso Itailia closed to trafficReturn rental car before 7:30pm!!!
          TIin the Foreigner' Club at Via Luigi de Maio # 35get maps, bus and boad schedules
          LaundryCorso Italia # 30 full service is 13 euro/load8am - 11pm
          BusesAll stop in main square , Pz. Tasso, under flags closest to seaA - to Meta beach (2 miles), goes right to beach
          B & C - to port (Marina Piccola)
          D - to fishing village (Marina Grande)
          1 euro
          Bus to RomeCurreri Viaggiwww.busit/curreri/inglese/lineecentro_e.htmlLeaves at 6:30 am
          Arrives at 10 am
          € 16
          Bus to RomeMarozzi (2nd choice)www.marozzivt.itLeaves at 6 am
          Arrives at 9:45 am
          Sites:
          Foreigners' ClubMagnificant views from terrace (both harbor and Bay of Naples)Via Luigi de Maio # 35 (behind TI, public WC)Daily til midnight
          Self Guided WalkSee Rick Steve's book
          Views from public park net to Imperial Hotel Tramontano
          Lemon Grove Garden (L'Agruminato)lemon and oranges growing on same tree
          Tasting stand
          Enter on Corso Italia # 275 (100 yds north of train station) or at Via Cipasso/Via Roba (next to La Mondrian Hotel)10am - 4pm
          Shopping:
          Lemoncello!
          Lemons!Via San Cesareo
          Dining:
          Trattoria San' Anna da EmiliaGnocchi, seafoodVia Marina Grande 62No credit cards
          Il Pozzoin old quarter
          Zintonia Marein Marina Grande
          Da Giginosin city center
          Ristorante Donna Sofiabest dinner in Sorrento, not in center but if make reservation they will pick you up at no charge, very romantic, pastas outstanding, fish was best of trip
          Nightlife:
          Foreigners' ClubMagnificant views from terrace (both harbor and Bay of Naples)
          Music nightly at 9pm
          Reasonably priced snacks and drinks
          Via Luigi de Maio # 35 (behind TI, public WC)Daily til midnight

Here is Capri:

Very much enjoyed my lunch at Ristorante Pizzeria Aurora... Caprese salad and pizza.

You must climb up to the balcony in St. Michael's Church to see the magolica floor from that view point!

General Info:
          Boats check w/ TI for schedules and prices
          Take the early boat to avoid Capri crowds!
          Tickets sold at port (Marina Piccola)
          Buy one-way ticket so return tkt can be on either company
          Ferry30 minutes, infrequent (run by Caremar)11 euros
          Jetboat (Aliscafi) - recommended20 minutes, more frequent (run by LMP)15 euros
          Ride funicular down to Marina Grande for boat to Sorrento
          Sites:
          Blue GrottoCheck if high tide or rough waters (ask hotel or TI) before buying boat tickets.
          Go early for best light, don't bother going if gray or cloudy
          Silverman's say don't even bother going at all!!!!
          11 euro roundtrip boat from Marina
          5 euro rowboat
          5 euro grotto admission
          2 euro tip
          Anacapritake bus from grotto (asked to be dropped at dock by grotto)Go to Villa San Michelle for view (best from sphinx)5 Euro
          St. Michael's Church - magolica floor ornately tiled
          Best view - climb spiral stairs by postcards
          Capritake bus from AnacapriCathedral
          Old City (to left of City Hall)
          Fancy shops, villas, gardens, views
          Shopping:
          Dining:
          Ristorante Pizzeria AuroraWolfgang Puck likes the pizzaCapri
          Da PaolinoWolfgang Puck likes the anitpasto buffet and pastas.  Under lemon treesCapri
          Villa VerdeDr. Silverman recommendation - restaurant/pizzaeriaCapri - not far from top of funicular
          Via Sella Orta 6

Here is Positano.  Took the bus from Sorrento.  Make sure you sit on the right side of the bus for the breath-taking views on your way there!

General Info:
          TIat bottom of church steps, 1/2 block from beach
          Get off bus at Sponda stop (2nd stop in Positano)40 min. by bus from Sorrento, bus in front of train stationLeaving Sorrento - sit on right side for views
          Returning to Sorrento - sit behind bus driver
          If doing both Amalfi and Positano in same day:Do Positano first, then Amalfi, to avoid problems coming home
          Ferry back to Sorrento?Still running in October?
          Get the 24 hr bus ticket (6 euros) or the 3 day bus ticket (15 euros)?
          Orange Bus (Interno Positano)Goes thru lower town and to the 2 bus stops1 euro - pay on bus
          Sites:
          Chic and picturesqueEat, shop and go to beach
          See Rick Steves' self-guided walkNo real siteseeing
          Shopping:
          From top to bottom of town:Ceramics and linens
          Piazza dei Mulini
          Les Chic - custom made leather sandals in 10 minutes
          Brunella - linen
          Church of Sant Maria Assunta - orig. abbey of 12th C Bendictine monestaryManger scene in 1st chapel on left
          Black Madonna
          Bell Tower
          Majlorca tiles on dome
          Beaches (Spiggia Grande - pebbly and sandy and Fornillo Beach - less crowded)
          Dining:
          Facing beach - overpriced but pleasant and convenientLa Cambusa - places nearby are good too
          UptownRestaurant Brunobetter than average value
          located at top of Via Colombo

After seeing Positano, I then continued on by bus to Amalfi:

General Info:
          TI100 yds south of the center, next to post office facing the sea
          *** Check return bus scheduleLast bus can be full!!!
          Sites:
          CathedralMoorish and Byzantine flavor2.50 euro
          10am - 5pm
          English flyer
          Cloister of Paradise - 120 column courtyard
          Basilica of the Crucifix - 9th C orig. church
          Crypt of St. Andrew - under huge bronze statue
          Cathedral - fine 13th C wooden crucifix
          Bus to Ravello?Buy lunch and picnic at Villa Cimbrone for great views from Terrace of Infinity
          Shopping:
          Lemoncello
          Ceramics
          Dining:

Pompeii... I used the tour in Rick Steve's guide book but you can hire tour guides or an audioguide there.

Easy train ride from Sorrento.

General Info:
          Train from Sorrento (Circumvesuviana)
          Sites:
          PompeiiRick Steve's Tour (pg 752)Allow 3 hours11 euro
          Daily 8:30am - 7:30pm
          Live tours - 115 euros for 2 hours!  Gather other people to split cost?  Use Gaetano Manfredi at Porta Marina entrance
          Audioguide - offers basically same info as free booklet6.50 euro

And, last but certainly not least, Rome!

Had 5 nights here and it wasn't nearly enough!

Favorite restaurants were Colline Emiliane and Tullio.

Make sure you see the Trevi fountain at night when it is lit up!  Same advice for many of the main attractions!  Great photo op!

Enjoy your trips!

General Info:
          Monday - many museums closed.  Plan!
          Roma PassTo avoid lines at Colosseum, Forum, etc. For best value, use at Colosseum and Borghese Gallery.  Valid for 3 days (public transportation, free/discounted admissions (1st 2 sites are free, rest are discounted and skip lines)Buy at a less crowded site€ 20
          Open during siesta:St. Peter's, Colosseum, Forum, Capitoline Museum and Natl Museum of Rome
          Lots of con artists, thieving childrens' gangs, pickpockets!!!!!
          Tues - pick up Vatican General Audience TicketTuesday October 13 at the visitors' reception desk inside the Church of Santa Susanna between 5:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.Via Venti Septembre 15 (1 block north of Piazza della Republica, a major bus/metro stop), Corner of Via Venti Septembre and Largo Santa Susanna at top of Via Barberini/Via Bissolati€ 10 donation requested
          Papal Audience - Wednesday 10amBe there at 8:30am
          Scavi Tour - Wednesday, 3:00pmBe there 10 minutes before!
          Vatican Museum - Thursday, 2pm.Be there at 1:45pmTicket booked online, show receipt
          € 18
          Airport Shuttlewww.airportshuttle.itWill pick up at hotel, 3 hrs before flight25 Euros
          Rome Shuttle to AirportCost?
          Rome Cabs to Airportwww.romecabs.com€ 45
          Launderettes (Lavandarias)Available on Via Montebello, Via M. D'Azeglio, Via Dei Marsi, and Via Milazzo
          Supermarket - by the hotel metro station?
          Sites:
          Before Dawn - go to Janiculumn Hill to catch sun rise - see Vatican , Borghese Gardens, Pantheon, Colosseum, Castel Sant' Angelo and Camidolgio all conme to klighr in one breathtakeing cityscapeHA!  Think this will really happen????
          Roman Forum Walk
          Dolce Vita Walk
          Night Walk Across Rome
          Ancient Rome Use Roma Pass -buy in advance
          R. Steve's audiopod
          Metro to Cavour stop
          St. Peter in Chains Church (San Pietro in Vincoli)Michelangelo statue, chains under high altar, Moses status (up a hill from Forum and Colosseum)free, daily 8am - 12:30pm and 3pm - 7pm
          15 min uphill from Colosseum or shorter walk from Cavour metro stop
          Colosseum (Colosseo)Need to wait in security line but not in ticket line, stay to the left and muscle past ticket-buying crowd to go directly to turnstileTil 6:15pm
          Use Roma Pass
          Buy Roma Pass at Palentine Hill
          Nero's Domus Aurea (Golden House)Near Colosseum, recently opened, entrance off Via Labacana in Pareo OppioNear Colosseum, underneath one of the Palantine HillsDaily 9 - 8pm, Tour required
          Closed Tuesday
          Visits: 9:20, 10:40, 12:00; 3pm, 4:20pm, 5:40pm
          10 Euros tour, 6.50 regular visit
          Arch of Constantine
          Palantine Hill (Monte Palatine), same ticket as Colosseum, great view!

Also, see House of Augustus
          Try to get ticket to House of Griffins on Palantine Hill (3 stories underground, recently opened
          hill above Forum, huts of Romulus & Remus, Imperial Palace, House of Livia & Augustus, view of Circus MaximusUse Roma Pass
          Roman Forum (Foro Romano)

Also, check out Temple of Vestal Virgins in Forum area (girls as young as 6 yrs. Old) mission was to keep the sacred fire of Rome burning

From Forum, pop out the side gate and visit charming medieval chruch Santi Cosma e Damiano - 6th C mosiacs (Via dei Fori Imperiali 1)
          open til 1 hr before sunset
          Use Roma Pass (same admission as Colosseum)
          Mamertine Prisonworth a look - once held bodies of Peter and Paul.
          Capital Hill Area and SquareMichelangelo designed square, Palazzo dei Conservatori - use public entrance for non-museum visitors off Piazza Caffarelli for 2nd floor view of Rome from Caffe Capitolino - stunning!!!
          Palazzo Nuovo2 must see statues - Dying Gaul and Capitoline Venus (1st floor)
          Rome from the SkyElevator located near top of Victor Emmanual next to café.  To rooftop for best view of Rome (better than St. Peters), go in late afternoonTil 6:30 in Oct.
          €7
          Follow signs to ascensori panoramici or shortcut from Capitol Hill
          Pantheon Neighborhood Heart of Rome
          Piazza Navona Bernini's Fountain dei Quatro Fiumi
          PantheonMon - Sat 8:30 - 7:30pm
          free
          Church of San Luigi del Francesichapel by Caravegregeniofree
          Santa Maria sopra Minervaonly Gothic cathedral in Rome
          Church of San Ignaziobaroque, see multi-dimensional painting!
          Trevi Fountainsee it at night!!!!!
          Near TerminiSanta Maria degli Angeli
          Santa Susanna ChurchVia XX Septembre 15 (meto stop: Republica)PICK UP VATICAN TICKET - TUES
          Pilgrim's RomeLooks close to Colosseum… are they?
          Church of San Giovanni in Lanteranobuilt by Constantine, the 'mother' of all churches in Rome!Daily 8:30am - 6:30pm
          free
          Stairs climbed by JesusTil Noon and 3-6pm
          Church of San Clementefrescoes by Masolinofree
          Mon-Sat, 9am - 12:30pm and 3 - 6pm
          Via di San Giovannin in Laterano
          Descend to:
          1.  Ruins of earlier church and
          2.  Eerie remains of pagan temple to Mithras
          € 5
          Santa Maria MaggioreBest surviving mosaics in nave, 1000 yrs. Older than St. Peter's, built after Empire collapsed. A purported fragment of Jesus' crib, tallest bell tower in RomeDaily 8am - 6:30pm
          Free
          Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore
          North RomeVilla Borghese GardensBest entrance is at Via Veneto,
          Cafes, foundatins, statues, lake, museums, take a boat ride?
          Borghese GalleryPlush!  Former cardinal's mansion.
          Bernini's David, Apollo chasing Daphne (the best!), start at top floor and walk down
          Make Reservation
          € 8.50 (Roma Pass)
          (includes €2 reservation fee??)
          Closed Monday
          Tues - Sun, 9am - 7pm
          www.galleriabofghese.it
          www.ticketeria.it or www.pierreci.it
          Entry times: 9, 11, 1, 3, and 5pm
          Cappuccin CryptBelow Church of Santa Maria de Immaculata Concezione on Via Veneto (up from Piazza Barberini).
          Bones of 4000+ monks in basement, soil from Jersualem 400 yrs ago.
          Donation requested
          Daily 9 - 12pm and 3 - 6pm
          Piazza del PopolaArt-filled churches, North entrance to Rome, Starting point of evening passeggiata, 10 story obelisk from Eygpt's Rames II temple
          Santa Maria del PopolaOne of most overlooked churches - 2 chapels, great art, façade built from scavenged Colosseum travertine, Chigi Chapel (2nd on left) designed by RaphaelMon - Sat
          7am - Noon and 4pm - 7pm
          Spanish Steps AreaSpanish Steps
          Ara Pacis (Altar of Peace) - 9th C BC altar where Augustus led sacrificial slaughter€ 6.50 or look in thru window for free
          Tues - Sun
          9am - 7pm
          Long block west of Via del Corso on Via di Ara Pacis (east bank of Tiber)
          Catacombs of PriscillaSmaller, lesser known instead of going to Appian Way, less touristy, better choice than other catacombs€ 6
          Tues - Sun
          8:30 - Noon and 2:30 - 5pm
          Via Salaria 430 (northeast of Termini)
          Vatican CityTI to left of basilica
          Vatican Museum3-4 hours to enjoy, 2 hrs for quick visit
          Best entry 12:30 or later
          Use R. Steve podcast (don't rent audioguide as returning it will screw up entrance to St. Peters)
          €14
          Cipro is closest metro
          Mon - Sat
          8:30 - 5:30, last entry 4pm
          See Pinoteca early or will miss it and have to backtrack
          St. Peter's BasilicaFrom Sistine Chapel, exit thru Group Tour exit to go into St. Peter's directlyDaily
          7am - 6pm (Light at 5pm is good!)
          € 7 - elevator
          Don't miss the Pieta!
          Elevator to roof top of nave for commanding view (don't do steps to dome!) and view of church interior
          Blessed Sacrament Chapel
          Pope's tombs
          Wednesday Papal Audience - 10am
          Scavi Tour - 3pm
          PICK UP VATICAN TICKET - TUES at Santa Susanna
          ThursdayVatican Museum and Sistine Chapel - 2pm
          Near Vatican CityCastel Sant' Angelo - see at night also!Hadrian's tomb, castle, prison€ 5
          Tues - Sun
          9am - 7:30pm (closed Mon)
          Ponte Sant' Angelobridge to castle, 3 middle arches are Roman originals
          Trastevere (tras-TAY-veh-rey: across (tras) the Tiber (tevere)Best look at medieval village Rome
          Wander around
          See Rick's pg. 678 for transportation to/from
          Santa Maria in Trastevere Churchmade a basilica in 4th C, most from 12th CDaily 7am - 9pm
          Piazza di Santa Maria
          Villa Farnesiniearly 1500's, richest Sienna banker's loggia, orchards,flowerbeds€ 5
          9am - 4pm
          Via della Lurgara
          Gianicolo Hill Viewpointpark atop hill w/ outstanding views, start at Trastever's Piazza di San Cosimato, follow Via Luciano Manara to Via Garibaldi uphill to St. Peter's in Montorio
          Jewish Quarter
          St Paul outside the Walls ( Basilica di San Paolo fuori le Mura)one of the 5 major basilicas in Rone, origianlly founded by Constantine in 4th C.  Is burial place of St. Paul the Apostle Via Ostiense 186 (metro: Basilica San Paolo)Basilica: daily 7am-6:30pm
          Cloister daily 9am-1pm and 3-6pm
          Bacca della Verita (Mouth of Truth)stick hand in!  Ancient marble mask Church Santa Maria in Cosmedin
          Aqueducts on Viale Appio Claudio
          Shopping:
          Campo de Fiorimorning market
          Spazio SettePremier homeware storeVia dei Barberi 7 off Largo de Torre Argentina
          Piazza San Cosimato Market in TrastevereVia Natale del Grande
          Via Baccina marketOpen 7am - 7pm
          Closed Sunday
          Dining:
          Colline EmilianeAbout the best pasta in Rome, near Via Veneto, reservation highly recommendedVia Avignonesi 22 (off Off Piazza Barberini)
          Near hotel
          Tues-Sun 12:45-2:45pm; Tues-Sat 7:45-10:45pm
          Tel: 06-4817538
          Colline EmilianeVeal in cream sauce over mashed potatoes, moderate to expensive Via Avignonesi 22Closed on Fridays or see above?????
          Tel: 06 871538
          Reservation required
          Restaurante MontevecchioA small, intimate place tucked away in a late-medieval neighborhood. Scrumptious antipasti and a wonderful spaghetti with a lobster and tomato sauce. High end, but, believe me, worth it.Piazza Montevecchio 22A
          From the north end of Navona, walk down Via Coronari about 100 meters. Via Montevecchio is on your left. There is usually a planter in the middle of the alley. Turn left, walk a block, you can't miss it.
          Tel. 06 686 13 19
          Armando al PantheonVery cute, good menu, highly recommendedSalita del Crescenzi, 31 (by Pantheon, street on right of Pantheon past newpaper kiosk)Tel: 06 688803034
          Noon - 3pm and 7 - 11pm
          Navona NotteGood menu, not bad looking, pasta and pizza look goodVia del Teatro Pace, 44 - 00186 Roma (couple blocks west of Plaza Navona)Noon - 11pm , accepts credit cards
          La BruschettaWhat a great, fun place! Near hotel.  Can be a ripoff per one review.  Great Caprese salad and Margherita pizza.  For good opera, walk downstairs and listen to the amateur singers.Via Sardenga 39   (Walk down Via Veneto from the Grand Hotel Flora. Via Sardenga is the first or second cross street. You can see the sign from Via Veneto.)Tel. 06 42 01 37 21
          Tullioone of the best restaurants in Rome specialising in Tuscan cuisine. The food is excellent (you'Il pay around 40.00 euro for a meal), the place is usually packed and the service fast and efficientVia San Nicola da Tolentino, 26
          Off Piazza Barberini (near hotel)
          closed on Sunday
          ph. 06 475 85 64
          Al 34combines Roman cooking with regional dishes from throughout Italy. It is consistently good and very popular so booking is essentialVia Mario de' Fiori, 34
          Near hotel
          closed on Monday. A full meal will cost around 25/30.00 euro
          All credit cards.
          Da BaffettoRome's most popular pizzeria, not far from Piazza NavonaVia del Governo Vecchio 114No lunch, no credit cards
          PerluigiGood reviews, 1/2 hour walk southwest toward Tiber from hotel
          Giggetto
          DitiramboPiazza Carcelleria
          Dar Poeta
          Antic Arco
          Il PalazzettoGnocchi w/ sausage & asparagus, near Piazza di Spagna (not far from hotel?)Vicolo del Bottino 8, SpagnaTel: 06 6990878
          Antico Ristorante del GiglioSpecializes in classic Roman and Lazio cooking, moderate cost (not far from hotel?)Via Torino 137 (located between main train station (Termini) and the Rome Opera House)Tel: 06 4881606
          Da GiovanniAgnolotti (pasta stuffed with veal) is the best, cannelonni, very good fishVia Antonio Salandra 1 (corner of Via XX Settembre)Tel: 06485950
          George'sPiano bar, elegant and expensive restaurantVia Marche 7 (on street behind the Excelsior Hotel on Via Veneto)Tel: 06 42084575
          Hosteria Guilio Fabulous pastas, homemade ravioli and gnocchi, veal.  Moderate (close to hotel?)Via della Barchetta 19Tel: 06 68806466
          Hosteria Da NeroneGood for lunch after touring Foru or Colliseum.  Roast rabbit, Homemade ravioli, fettuccine alla NeroneVia delle Terme di Tito 96Tel: 06 4817952
          La CarbonerraPiazza dei Fiori
          Café ManciniCute, menu looks goodVia Metastassio 21 (corner of P. di FirenzClosed on Sunday
          tel 39 066872051
          Paris in TrastevereP. S. Calisto 7aTel 39 065815378
          Da ToscanaGrilled veal, raviolini q/ ricotta & trufflesNorth side of city€ 40 person
          Ai Tre ScaliniBeautiful room, great service and food ,reasonable pricesNear Colosseum
          Largo del PallaroAll inclusive w/ wine too!  Good value, lovingly preparedLargo del Pallaro 15tel 06 68801488
          Les Etoilesrooftop dining, great night viewsin Hotel Alante Star
          Il FornoPizza on Piazza NavonaCampo D'Fiore
          La Cicala e la FormicaLunch - € 10 menu w/ choice of 1st and 2nd coursesVia Leonina 17 (metro line B to Cavour stop by Colosseum and Fiori Imperiali)Closed Sunday
          Lunch 12 - 3pm
          Dinner 6:45pm - 11pm
          Old Bridgebest gelato, directly across from Vatican Museum
          The Meetingnear American Embassy
          La Fraschettain Trastevere, bit pricey but worth it. Cute looking, ok menuVia San Francesco a Ripa 134Tel: 06 5816012
          Antica RomaVeal saltimbocca, fried apps, pasta all'amatriciana.  In Monteverde Vecchio beyond TrastevereVia Alberto Mario 17Tel 06 5816809
          Enteco CorsiOne of best and least pretentious to eat lunch.  Local favorite.  Wonderful gnocchi and great saltimbocca alla romana.  Go to back and turn right to the wine store for a rew extra tables and more charming atmosphere.Via del Gesu 88Tel 06 6790821
          No credit cards
          Lunch only
          Il Cantuccioone of my best meals, expensive but not as much as Via Veneto Piazza Navona
          Maccheroni or Da Francescognocchi   near Piazza Navon
          Vecchia RomaVery comfortable, pleasant staff, delicious carbonarra and saltimbocca alla romana, pricey and worth it, not cheap but not outrageously expensive.  Well positioned to ForumPiazza Campitelli 18 (ghetto area near forum)tel 06 6864604
          D'Augustoin Trastevere,  small place, locals, short walk fron Villa di Oglio hotelin Piazza Santa Maria
          La Maddalenablick from Pantheon
          Cul De Sacbest meal we had, not at all touristy, great selectionPiazza di Pasquino
          Nightlife:
          Shamrock Irish PubCeltic and Irish musicVia Capo d'Africa 26/d
          Charity CaféJazz live musicVia Panisperna 68
          Enoteccas
          GelatoSan Crispino

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

New Hilton Member:

Thanks for your information I am going to Venice in June and will put it to use!  One of the art classes I recently took at Emory was about a fresco cycle by Giotto at the Cappella degli Scrovengi also known as the Arena Chapel in Padua, Veneto, Italy.  It appears an easy day trip could get me there.  Have you been there? If so any thoughts on it?  Thanks in advance.............Bill

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

NewHiltonMember- Phenomenal recap of your trip!  I will be using many of your recommendations next week.  Thanks.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I stayed at the Boscolo once but did not think it was worth the price considering the location (back of the main island near Fontament.e Nova.  Since then I've stayed at the Pesaro Palace (amazing), Hotel Ai Reali (really good) and will in October be staying at the San Cassiano Ca' Favretto, with a Grand Canal view.  Venice is one of those few places in the world where having a really nice hotel room with a great view can make all the difference.

You're welcome, Tom68.  Glad to be of help.

Have a wonderful trip!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

NEWHILTONMEMBER,

Thank you for taking the time to post the information on Venice.  I will put it to good use in planning my trip.

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

I have not been around long so limited info to draw on but I think this is the best series I have seen and I am not even going to Italy.

Thanks

gandg Platinum

There are many reviews of the Boscolo Venice on tripadvisor; for the most part they are positive. It is good to remember that Venice is unlike anywhere else on Earth. So we have to adjust our expectations while there. Being flexible is the key to enjoying Venice.

We are thrilled that Marriott has a nice place in Venice now because we have been wanting to return there for the past 20 years. It is possible to book the Boscolo with points....it was available the last two days of May when I checked two days ago. We will post details after our stay in May.

It looks like an easy Alilaguna boat ride on the Orange line from the airport to Madonna dell'Orto, the first stop. And a short, flat walk to the Boscolo. And yes, the church bells will be LOUD, so think only happy thoughts when you hear them! Just remember to take very little luggage to make life easier on the road, especially in Venice. For packing help, go to packinglight.com; their video is wonderful.

The best advice from the guide books seems to be to take a good map and mark places you like on it, dress up (not down) with comfortable walking shoes, have plenty of down time just to enjoy the out of this world scenery, head away from San Marco for better food and fewer crowds, read up on the history of Venice before you arrive, take lots and lots of Euros, get a multiple day vaporetto pass so you can ride the boats all you want in every direction, being lost will be an wonderful adventure and pretend that you are on a magic island. Hope this helps!

heh Silver

Thank you for all the great ideas and reviews. Can anyone help with directions on how to get from San Basilio Ferry Port to the Boscolo Venezia? We will be coming on the fast boat from Rovinj, Croatia.  Thanks.

jose_oliveira Platinum

THis post was fantastic!

I've booked with points and I'm really waiting to visit Venice and this great hotel!

Can you tell me if this hotel has club lounge or executive lounge...?

Thanks

lor111 Platinum 1 Reviews

We just stayed! Its great. Ask for Phillip. He's great. So the hotel is very comfortable. Very clean. When you get to Venice (we took the train) Go to information booth located outside and get a ACTV ticket for 3 days. It will cost you 30 euros per person. They will tell you which water bus to get on. They have a map like a subway. VERY NICE.VERY EASY. You take your luggage right on. Be sure to stamp your ticket prior to every ride. They do random checks. The stop is right at the hotel. You just have to walk through an alley (safe) to get to the front door. The part you see on the internet is the back of the hotel. Yes.... you can walk to the square 15 min Nice walk but your feet may be tired... So walking every time? Maybe not...You will come to many restaurants. Ask Phillip to make you a reservation at a restaurant right near the hotel. Won't get in without one. Sorry I don't know the name. If your taking the train make a reservation in advance. They fill up quickly. Have FUN!!!! The first coffee shop still standing.

kirknason Platinum

I stayed there in 2012 and it was one of the best places my wife and I have stayed.  The property used to be a villa private residence.  The room we had felt like pure elegance in the corner overlooking the canal, the breakfast in the court yard was amazing.  Have both canal and ocean access.   Water taxis can pick you up right in front of the Boscolo!!  We definitely will stay at this property when we visit Venice again!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...