58 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2012 5:54 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Sedona_AZ.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This week was special because I had a chance to visit a place that was always sought after to see.  Staying at the RI Scottsdale, taking a two hour drive North, it was a special trip.  Did not know there had been so many movies made around Sedona, nor was it a developed or beautiful as it was.  Will look forward to going back.  There are no Marriott's there, but it is sure worth having dinner at L'Auberge de Sedona.  The drove me around town, parked my car, and would not take a gratuity.  The staff was really great, and the drive back to my RI, was easy, especially thinking about the great day it had been.  Will let the pictures do the talking, but if you like John Wayne, Ernest Borgnine, and many more movie stars, you will enjoy this "Classy" town.  Your family, loved ones, and you will all have a great time.  The pictures do not give the place justice, especially the on of Cowboy Club, a very famous "Hang out" of "The Duke"!

IMG_1852.JPGIMG_1862.JPGIMG_1858.JPGIMG_1864.JPGIMG_1860.JPGIMG_1865.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley
Sedona, Arizona, USA
  • Sedona, AZ, "Favorite Travel Story"!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Lovely, Jerry thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Sedona, AZ, "Favorite Travel Story"!
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks for the photos.  Glad you had a good time.  Any place good enough for you and the Duke is good enough for me.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Enjoyed..thanks for posting!!!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jerrycoin,

Thank you for taking the time to create the recent posts on Arizona.  I am planning a trip to Phoenix this October and you have provided me with some ideas for additional sightseeing activities beyond the Grand Canyon.  The pictures are excellent.

gm1,

Am going to the Grand Canyon this year and will have a report.  Have only flew over it, but Sedona/Flagstaff allow me to see it up close.  Can't wait.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Looking forward to your post on the Grand Canyon.

curiousone Platinum

My wife and I are part of a group of 5 couples that spend a long weekend in remote Arizona locations the weekend before Thanksgiving. Last year we stayed at the El Tovar at the Grand Canyon. (The disadvantage of going to remote Arizona locations is there will never be a Marriott.I keep trying to get the group to go to the JW at Desert Ridge) The El Tovar is a magnificent OLD hotel designed and built before bathrooms were a given part of our lives. In the process of adding bathrooms to every room the rooms can get pretty oddly shaped. Note that there are a limited number of restaurants on the South Rim, so they can get real busy around meal times. Just my opinion, but I think the company operating the El Tovar is taking advantage of the history and not doing a good job of maintaining the property. The Grand Canyon is a beautiful part of our amazing country.

Since we live in Phoenix we have made "day trips" to Sedona over the years, but never stayed. In Feb. 2011 we were able to trade into the Hyatt timeshare in Sedona, a very nice property and well located for walking all over town. The week that we were there we had a cold snap in Arizona and every fountain in Sedona froze solid and became an ice sculpture. (That is ice in the second picture.) We were not prepared for the bitter cold so spent a fair amount of time reading. When it was warm enough we hiked around town and took some hiking tours. Initially I was wondering what we would do for 7 days, but there was no problem keeping busy. It is another beautiful part of our amazing country.

Balcony 01.jpg

Sedona 2011 Frozen Fountain 01.jpg

Thanks jerrycoin, sounds like an interesting place.

Forgot to ask, did you see any Vortices?

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Sedona is definitely a gorgeous place.  We've enjoyed hiking in the area.  On our visit a couple of years ago, my husband just couldn't understand how a child (probably 10-12 years old) could be engrossed with playing a video game when we were speechless when viewing the beautiful scenery.

We've been looking for a place to take my aunt for a special meal and I think we will consider L'auberge de Sedona.  I've done some research on their website and it seems like a place she might enjoy.

Dear fan we have eaten there and it was special and nice too.  Took my mom there for her 85, four years ago.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Gorgeous, Jerry!  Thanks very much!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks JC.

We were in Sedona for an afternoon day trip yesterday. It was our second trip. We were there 15 years ago. It's grown a bit, but still breath taking. We are in the Flagstaff SHS this morning heading up to the South Rim of the Canyon.  From one great sight to another.

pp,

Could you share any advice on seeing the Grand Canyon?

Am planning a trip there later this year.  Have flown over but never up close.  Plan to stay at the RI in Flagstaff, but am open for suggestions.  Thanks, for any help you can offer.

JC,

A few basics:

It is, without a doubt, as close to a spiritual experience as one can have. Adults can spend the day. Young kids tend to like the view and want to head back to the hotel to hit the pool after a couple of hours. Either way, it's a bucket list item.

Flagstaff is about 1hr 30min away from the The Grand Canyon. The four Marriott properties there are the closest to the canyon. We opted for the SHS vs the RI this time. No special reason. The SHS was heavy with snowboarders and hockey teams this time of year. Somewhat of a feeding frenzy at breakfast, but not too bad.

Wear your most comfortable walking shoes. You'll want to walk the trail along the southern rim. This gives you different vantage points to "breath" in the awesome beauty. Bring a light jacket. Sometimes the temp can change quickly.

This trip calls for the best pair of binoculars you can get your hands on... a really nice camera is important, also.

The price to enter the National Park is $15. If you're a Nat Park regular, you can pick up a yearly pass for all parks for around $75.

I'll come up with a few more when I get home.

PP,

Great information, Thanks!

Never really thought about going to The GC, till this trip.  This is one of the benefits of meeting with NU Husker.  He really likes traveling around the US, and has also lived in Europe.  It got me thinking of all the things I have not seen, that I would like to experience some day.  This information will get me started on making plans for The GC experience.  I am not excited about having to drive from Phoenix, but with a stop/meal in Sedona, I can break the trip up.

Again, Thanks, and if you have more, please send it on!

JC,

Also, keep a full tank of gas. We drove from Las Vegas to Sedona to Flagstaff to The Grand Canyon to Las Vegas. There a quite a few areas that are open desert like stretches. If you let the tank get down and figure you'll see a gas station soon, you may be out of luck.

And water and sunscreen too. Thanks for the reminder, I was driving a rented SUV with an insatiable thirst over these distance watching that needle move toward E and worrying.

PP and SS,

Very good advice!  Last week, driving from Phoenix to Sedona, it only took two hours, but I would make sure next time I have water and a full tank.  They had just had a major car auction in Scottsdale, and the Interstate was full trucks and cars pulling trailers.  I expected to see some accidents but didn't.  When you have vehicles doing 75+mph, you may be delayed. 

That is a tragic story on I-75/Gainesville, Fl, the other night when 10 people lost their lives in the smoke/fog.

By the way, the advice to take a good pair of binoculars will be heeded as well.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Just fyi for anyone eligible or interested, any U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident age 62 or older can purchase a Senior National Park lifetime pass for $10.  Good at all NP's, wildlife refuge, forests, etc.  It's a truly great deal.

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

And if anyone hasn't yet visited Yosemite Nat'l Park, it's calling your name.  (Have to plug my home park here in Cali).  Seriously though, it IS a worthy bucket list item.

Lori,

Thanks for bringing this up.  I have been to a lot of places, but three elude me so far, will hope to make it soon, they are:

Grand Canyon

Yosimite

Yellowstone

Thanks for you information on the senior pass that can be purchased for The National Parks.  Unfortunatly, I qualify

Jerry, it sounds like you have been saving the very best for last!  Also worthy, the NP's in Utah (Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef).  I haven't been since I was a kid, and seriously need to get back there.  My cousin takes his family boating to Lake Powell every year.  Vivid orange rock and deep blue skies, much like your lovely photos of Sedona (which I've never been to).  So, so beautiful. 

I'm pretty sure Marriott used to have a property at the Yosemite gateway (Fish Camp), but they must not own it anymore, as I couldn't find it.  Ya, get the pass!

Tenaya Lodge was a Marriott but no longer

Thanks SS, I was beginning to doubt myself, because it was a while ago.  Along the same line, have you ever been to Salzburg?  Because I'm sure that I found a Marriott there when I did research for a trip I did in 2010 (for which the Austrian leg eventually was postponed).  When I went to look for that hotel recently, there were no Marriott hotels in Salzburg, and I do not believe I am confusing Salzburg with Vienna.  This makes me feel a bit like I'm losing my marbles.

Lori,

Thanks!  These are all great ideas, and with the price of gas and travel in general, I just may not be able to make it to my overseas favorites.  This may be the answer, to frankly enjoy these wonderful spots and avoid the 10 hour flights.

Thanks again.

It's true Jerry, in just about every region of our country, we can all find beauty and wonder, as well as local and national pride, right here in our own backyard.  There is so much to see and experience.  We are blessed to live in such a lovely land.

(But I still have many Europe trips left in me.  Sigh.)

Lorifleenor,  I agree.  We are indeed extremely fortunate.  God bless America!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

It has been 8 years since we went to the Grand Canyon, so it must be time for us to return!  Some of the details are rather fuzzy, but we took the train from Williams which was fun, but I remember being disappointed in the scenery along the way until we got off the train and actually saw the Grand Canyon.  As others have said, pictures just do not do it justice--it is indeed GRAND.  We spent several nights at one of the lodges.  I had always wanted to ride the donkeys to the the bottom of the Canyon, spend the night, then ride back up.  When I saw the path they follow, I was relieved that we had been unable to schedule the activity because my husband was too heavy.  I guess it's just one of those things that I should have done when I was younger.  I do remember being astonished at how close to the edge some people get.

Friends of ours of all ages (aka, my age and older) recently did a down and back in one day hike of the canyon.  They swear that it's the most exhilarating thing they've ever done.

razor,

I have a fear of heights so I will not be going near the edge of The GC!

Thanks for your comments.  Am getting excited about the upcoming trip.

Husker and I will hold you back Jerry

As they say, jerrycoin, steppingstones and I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you.  I have to say, though, that I no longer have real good balance.

NUHusker,

It's only a mile down!  As long as I land in the Colorado River I should be OK.

Right now, I am having more trouble trying to get this story to qualify for the contest.  However, I won't jump off the edge of the GC if I don't win!  I am "Batting 1000% in the CY contest, lost every time!

By the way, if you are near Evansville, IN next week, get it touch!  Same with other MI's.  Sort of enjoy "Stoplight City".

And depending on the price we may just throw you over!!!!!  Actually since my ballet days are far behind me (they were never there rally but it sounds good on a resume), I thought there'dbe plenty of time to take in the heights, as it were.

Where are you applying for work, it must be the theater or stage.  We will probably see you act/photo on one of Jaspers posts!

As far as throwing me over I am sure NUHusker will help!  I put a bottle of Dom P. on his bill at the Buttes!  I didn't think he would mind, but the lobster tail could get an NU "Beef lover" a little upset.  I will ask for forgiveness!

Then I guess you definitely won't be walking out on the glass floored observation deck that spans out over the canyon.  If it makes you feel any better, I am an ex-Marine and have rappelled out of a helicopter and off of a tall building (many moons ago), and yet I think I would probably pass on that too.

Lori,

Yes, you are most astute.

Didn't even know that this existed.  Once walked in Toronto on the glass floor at the CNN Tower in Toronto, would not do it again.

irishrose Gold 60 Reviews

If you can, stay at the hotel right on the south rim. It's called the El Tovar. It's wonderful, not fancy, but very nice.  Reservations must be made well  in advance of your trip.  The views of the Grand Canyon are spectacular. You have great options for hiking or tours from there. Also, the food in their restaurant is very good.  Have a good trip!

irishrose,

Thanks for the tip!

This will be a special trip and experience.

Again, thanks!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

jerry:

Great pics! Thanks for posting. How's the temperature out there this time of year?

Enjoy the trip!

tef,

70's in the day, around 50's at night.

Very pleasant.

Jerry, a couple years ago the whole family took my Mom on her trip of a lifetime to the Grand Canyon's south rim. It is one of those places that few cameras can actually portray since it is so massive and awe-inspiring. I'd been there a few times before and always felt as if the canyon were pulling me in, over the edge!  The color changes during the day are amazing.  Here are a few shots from my last trip.  Also check out Williams, on Historic route 66, as you head north.

Grand Canyon and Williams AZ.jpg

SS,

Wow!  So beautiful, and am going to try to get back soon.  Will take in Williams/RT 66.

Here is a picture I took the other day in St. Louis.  Got some strange looks from people while I was taking these pictures.  I am planning to do another post on Rt. 66 someday.  Am always amazed at how popular Rt. 66 is in Europe.

IMG_1824.JPGIMG_1825.JPG

Pay them no heed Jerry, got to get your kicks on Route 66, as the song says.  We've been on almost the entire length (though there are places where its been eaten by Interstates, sadly.

SS,

I can still pick up the show here in St. Louis!

It is actually a good show.  Am waiting to find the two parter on St. Louis, Gas Light Square, it was wonderful.  Thanks!

Yes it is--the highway of America.  Perhaps the only one more interesting is US 6 that traverses the lower 48!

• Re: New_Locale_Story_Sedona_AZ.

CM,

Does this now qualify for the contest?

Thanks,  JC

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Almost, don't include quotes around the actual tag - sorry for the confusion.

CM,

Hope I got it right, this time!

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.  Remember I am only a "C" student with a public education!  Likewise, this help others who may have had the same problem as me in getting this post done correctly.

• Re: Sedona_AZ.
    designdeva Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

So glad you enjoyed your day in Sedona.  Wish I had known you were coming so I could  have given you info on lots of very interesting things to do.  Have lived here for 20 years and still feel very fortunate to be here.  Come stay longer next time!

designdeva,

Thanks for the comment!

Tell me where you would recommend to dine and stay.  There are no Marriott's, but the Hilton on the South part of town looked good, and there is L'Auberge.

I'll let you know when I'll be back, and maybe you bring someone to join my best half at the Cowboy, (If it is really worth it, I liked the history, but don't know?)

Thanks, designdeva.

Here is a couple of other pictures!IMG_1865.JPG

L' Auberge is a wonderful place to dine in Sedona!

Location Brand Hotel
        Sedona, Arizona, USA
        curiousone Platinum

jerrycoin:

My wife and I spent a week at the Sedona Hyatt timeshare in Feb 2011. We traded into it, but I would assume you can rent. The Hyatt is in a great location, right at the "Y" at the heart of old and new Sedona. There was a cold snap in Ariozna that week and every fountain in town froze solid. This was the fountain at the Hyatt that spilled out of the pool. I was always told that moving water did not freeze, but it was COLD!

Sedona 2011 Frozen Fountain 01.jpg

curiosone,

Great picture and story!

Sedona really has a lot to offer, and I cannot imagine what it would be like when it is very cold.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...