5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2012 10:00 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Question Re rewards points and upgrades

edtyler61 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I won a trip through my company to the JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort in Costa Rica.  I am a gold member and have a couple hundred thousand rewards points.  My question is would it be possible to use points to upgrade my room even if my company is the one paying for the trip?  Would I need to contact the hotel and make sure my rewards account is linked to my reservation?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Guanacaste, Costa Rica JW Marriott JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa
  • Re: Question Re rewards points and upgrades
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

edtyler61,

Your situation sounds like two choices.  Contact Marriott Rewards and see what they can do to help you, or contact the hotel directly.  Explain your situation to the hotel, I have been pleased at how supportive most of the hotels are.  Hope it works out for you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings edtyler61 and congratulations on your trip - that's exciting! Unfortunately through, Marriott Rewards points can only be used for upgrade rewards in conjunction with a rewards paid stay. So, because your company is paying for the regular room, you cannot pay for an upgrade with points. Another option if you choose, would be to  redeem points at the time of check out for a payment credit to their bill.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Could ET purchase a gift checque/gift card and use that to upgrade the room?  If so, he could buy one of these with points and then redeem for the upgrade.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

edtyler61,

Unless your company has a policy against it, I would still make sure my Marriott Number is associated with the reservation to get the points.  The company where I worked, as many others may, allowed us to keep what ever points we got when they sent us somewhere.  The points and nights stayed are usually tied to the person who stays and not necessarily just the one who makes the reservations or pays.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...