10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2012 11:04 AM by tef6178 RSS

Frustrated

jroes006 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Who else has run into this issue? Went to book a vacation with points to a Marriott property in the British Virgin islands and got the message that there were no properties available with points. Tried a number of other dates throughout the year and always got the same message. I think this is beyond bad. I understand that points aren't $ in their pocket, but the amount of money I spend in a year should count for something.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Frustrated
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

It's the mysterious "no blackout dates". The trick is to somehow find these opportunities. The Pain I've suffered is the one you're dealing with.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Don't even get me started on the "No Blackout Dates" bull$*&%! 

Why is it that I never have this problem with Hilton???

tmallon Platinum 1 Reviews

There is a resort property in Michigan that has had no availability with points from about March through November for the past couple of years...same this year.  It is very frustrating...another reason I've been looking and staying at Hilton and other properties lately.  I've been platinum with Marriott for several years but the perks keep going away and the frustrations keep mounting.

I may have to start looking at HIlton also. I travel a lot for work and the majority of people in my company use Hilton, but I've tried to stay loyal to the Marriott brand. The problem I have is that they have a bunch of great places but when you want to take your family on a great vacation you can never use the points. I travel roughly 46 weeks a year for at least 3 nights a week. I just expected a little more from Marriott,

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Instead of using points have you considered purchasing the marriott cheques ($1000 for 135000 p pts)?  I have had good success using these at properties and I get credit for nights stayed.

Not a bad idea. When using cheques does it usually equal out the same amount of points that would be used?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

In the case of this property it is not a good deal. Using straight points is much better. This hotel (I looked up and see the only Marriott property is the Autograph property in the British VI so I 'assume' this is the place) and it is a category 8 and requires 40,000 points a night to stay and staying for 5 nights is a ''get the 5th night free" deal.

5 nights = 160,000 points (4 paid with points and one free).

5 paid nights in March are $600 night (cheapest available rate) = $3000. $3000 in certificates would be 405,000 points. Not a good deal.

5 paid nights in June are $400 night (best available rate) = $2000.  $2000 in certificates would be 270,000 points. Still not a good deal.

I checked and points can be used in June (off season) but who goes there then?

If they honored their 'no blackout policy' (and all Elite Insiders know that policy is a joke) they'd let you use them in Feb or March or some other part of the 'cold season' (their high season) when you probably would like to go.

What property was this that wouldn't allow usage of points?

It was the only property on the British virgin islands. Category 8 resort. Almost makes me wonder if they don't want point using members to sully the establishment.

jroes006:

You have really pointed out in factual illustration that the 'no blackout' policy is just a fallacy. So many Insiders have joked and ranted about this policy because they (Marriott) continues to flaunt the 'no blackout' deal as something to be proud of. I guess the Marriott ivory tower crew thinks we don't know a charade when we see it.

To further your facts I tried making a points reservation at many different times on this property during the desired seasons and every time the points were rejected....but yet there was room availability for every time I tried.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...