16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2012 7:13 PM by nuhusker RSS

What gear are you looking to invest in to improve your golf game this year?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

6771246943_51ba1cd045.jpgThe Marriott Golf Pro team is attending the PGA Merchandise show in Orlando this week.  This industry only event showcases everything from new technology to fashion to business seminars. We asked Marriott's Senior Director Golf Operations (and pro golfer) for the best thing he's seen at the show and Jim said, "Taylor Made Golf's new line of golf clubs called "rocketballz" it is amazing new technology to help all players hit the ball further and straighter." 

Jim also gave us some news... "Taylor Made is a key partner of Marriott Golf and they are planning an extensive advertising campaign about these new clubs.  The clubs will be officially launched to the world at our Doral Golf Resort in Miami Florida in March!"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What gear are you looking to invest in to improve your golf game this year?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

No major equipment changes or purchases, but I do hope to be able to attend one of the Faldo Golf Academies later this year.  Then thinking about getting on the golf channel amateur tour.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What gear are you looking to invest in to improve your golf game this year?
      shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

cm

thinking about a new driver.  taylor made ,of course.  Wouldn't it be a great idea for Marriott to offer BONUS prizes of Taylor Made equipment? 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

husker:

Do you need a caddy?!

Hey tef, Other than a pro-am about 10 years ago, I've only played one course with a caddy.  That was the course at the Orlando JW and Ritz Carlton hotels.  You still use a cart to get around, but the caddy gives great insight and advice on how to play each hole.  Unfortunately, the Golf Channel Am tour doesn't use caddies. 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

OK Husker, I can see you don't want my services as a 'caddy'. Probably for the best because I'd be like that commercial where the pro has a little wedge shot to the green and the caddy tells him he only has a 2 iron left in the bag because he had to 'lighten the load'. But, at least I'd tell you not to swing hard.........

Kapalua-Dream Silver 8 Reviews

Guys, there is no better way to play the game than walking with a caddy.  We try to find places that have caddy programs when we travel.  Whistling Straits in Kohler Wisc is an example of one where you have no choice.  Caddy and walking is required.  No carts available.  (happens to be a fantastic and very hard course)  Pebble and Spanish Bay are two others that have great caddys.

Other than playing the next best experiences I have had on the golf course is actually caddying for a couple of LPGA Players out on the Tour.  Not only has it given me a new perspective on the game, but I have also been able work with a couple of the nicest gals you can imagine.  I do not do it for a profession, but have had the chance to get out a few times and look forward to doing it some more.  If you are interested I wrote a blog about it the first time (see  www.carryingthebag.blogspot.com - read it from the bottom up as the blog was written over a 4 month period.) and tried to share some of the experience.  Most recently I was out with Kim Welch who won the Kaanapali Big Break four years ago.  We did a couple of Monday qualifiers as well as a US Open qualifier and a Canadian Women's event in Vancouver.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

That's funny!

Oh no, if I was going to use a caddy, it'd be a toss up between you and Bill Murray.

Kapalua-Dream Silver 2 Reviews

Sorry guys, but "it is not the bow nor the arrow that makes a difference, it is the indian."

By the way have done the golf school at Faldo in Orlando and that makes the indian better.  Great facilty for training and the Grand Vista is a great resort.

One other hint guys, watch the LPGA play if you want to learn more about the game.  We will never play like Tiger, but many of us can hit the ball as far as Yani.  It makes much more sense to learn from the girls who hit similar lengths as many of us do.  We can learn all about the short game and the one most impressive thing is how they use tempo instead of strength.  Get out to a tournament and walk along some of the girls.  Watch it on tv.   Besides most of them look better than the PGA players.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I will be staying & playing at the Marriott Desert Springs, CA in December, the Vinoy in St Petersburg, FL in January,  Orlando Faldo Grande Vista in March 2013 & then on to the Doral in Miami.     Will there be any Marriott-Taylor events, rates, prices at these venues?     (Being retired does have its privileges )

kroywen -- sounds like you play alot.  I've also played the Vinoy course and the Blue Monster at Doral, both over 5 years ago.  Enjoy!

Kapalua-Dream Silver 2 Reviews

Desert Springs is one of our favorite places to play golf.  Lots of Marriott options.  The courses at the the Marriott locations are execellent, but don't forget to try some of the other great courses as well.

We own at Grand Vista and spend a lot of time in Orlando.  Lots and lots of Marriott options in the area.  (Met my wife at the Marriott Orlando World Center)  Grand Vista may be the best practice facility anywhere and their instructors are very good.   Falcon Fire is one of our favorite courses in the Orland area and they offer a Marriott discount.  Diamond Back which is about 50 mins away is one you will never forget.  Very difficult and isolated.  Nothing but the course while you play.   The courses at the World Center and at Grand Vista are well worth playing.  (Grand Vista has the 9 hole practice course and then across the street is their 18 hole.)

Have never been in the St. petersburg area.  You will have to let us know how it is.  Doral is Doral.  Let us know how you do on the Blue Monster.  Sound like you will have a great time golfing over the next 6 months.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...