9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2012 12:48 PM by rogerdoherty RSS

Use 12 month rolling window to achieve rewards level

rogerdoherty Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi I'm new to the forums and I'm sure this has come up before so I apologize in advance if this is repetitive.

I'm a loyal Marriott customer and I really like the hotels and the rewards program, let me say that up front.

I was very dissapointed however to discover that in January my "nights stayed" balance rolled back to 0 and I missed achieving Platinum Rewards status by about 5 nights.  To make matters worse I had several trips scheduled in February that would have put me well over the required nights to achieve platinum.

Has there been any discussion about changing the way this works to more of a rolling window approach, so that if you achieve the nights stayed goal within any 12 month cycle you get a bump to the next level?  Having it happen in January seems arbitrary.

If I could have made this a voting item I would have, I'm sure everybody who is a rewards member would vote "YES"!

Thanks for your consideration and for putting up this form to get feedback from your customers.

Sincerely,

Roger Doherty, Microsoft Corp.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Use 12 month rolling window to achieve rewards level
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Roger

Interesting post.  In my mind, the rolling window idea is a knife that can cut both ways.  It's my opinion that the official window should be as it is, a calendar year.  That said, many have posted about "challenges" that have been offered to members that would give them Platinum status if they achieved a certain # of nights in a certain amount of time.  That idea seems to cover those that have a heavy travel period, then a dead period, etc.   Have you called Marriott Rewards and inquired about such a plan for you?  Give it a try, it seems Marriott is willing to work with you to find a way to get you where you want to be. 

let us know how it goes.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Use 12 month rolling window to achieve rewards level
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Roger, Marriott Rewards, and its predecessor Loyalty program, has always had a calendar year requirement, but there have been instances when close was counted as making it.  Seems you are very close and should be ushered in as a Platinum member.  As Shoeman suggests a call to Marriott Rewards and a sympathetic agent might get you that, especially considering your forthcoming trips.

I have always thought that frequency of stays should count as much as total nights, BTW, but that's just me.

browell Platinum

Roger, I don't mean to sound negative,but before you get too "dissapointed" are you aware that every US Airline and Hotel program (except for Hilton Honors, I believe) uses the January-December period for elite status?

some allow 14however.month membership 

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Browell,

Not technically true in my experience (at least of airlines, and in some respects).  I'm at a very high Delta Skymiles level, but there have been times in the past when I have reached that threshold (or a new higher one) in September or November.  I immediately get the new level and it continues through the next year.

ProfChiara

Same here with Rental car companies  and with other hotels like IHG, where the status is granted when you make it and for the following year as well.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

When I have talked to customer service at Marriott, they have stated that if you achieve a level during a year, like let's say December, you get it for the rest of the year, and the whole next year.  If you don't make enough the next full year to maintain it, you should be evaluated at the beginning of the next year.  So you should keep a level for the partial you achieve it and the next full year.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

roger:

In a positive spin...if they don't grant you Platinum status now for 2012 (since you're so close) you will get all those nights rolled over and credited as Elite nights for 2012 right away. It will make 20 or so less nights you need to make Platinum this year.....and, when you hit the 75 level this year (including those nights rolled over), you will be Platinum at that point in time...and keep it through 2013 and into Feb 2014 (gives you plenty of time to re-qualify at the Plat level).

Good luck and Happy Travels!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...