15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2012 12:03 PM by profchiara RSS

Istanbul - The Spy Who Didn't Come In From the Cold

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This is especially directed at Shoeman and SS,

Believe it or not, there was a snowstorm in Istanbul today, and the temperature.) was the same as my town in Maine.  Nonetheless, I browsed the Egyptian Spice Market, then a very old mosque, took my Bosphorus cruise, then after getting to Asian Istanbul (where the snow was even worse) the tour guide (Mustafa aka Hit the Road Jack) and the driver (Evit, no aka) disposed of the Indian-American couple from California into another vehicle and took me up to Camlice Hill.  I don't have my regular computer nor have I figured out how to post photos on the Marriott website using the camera feature on this page (it doesn't take), but I have a lovely photo of me in the snow surrounded by Mustafa and Evit with a power tower behind us.

What secrets were disclosed at lunch?  Why were we standing near a power tower?  Why was it snowing?  All this will have to wait for what the Community Manager has asked me to do in an upcoming blog that I may call Where In the World is ProfChiara? Perhaps a better title might be What the **** is She Doing? And I will try to post the photo when I am home.

The process is refusing to allow me to post this at any other hotel than a Marriott (I am staying at another hotel, its name better left undisclosed) so I'm going to try to do it using the Polat where I stayed in 2009 when here.  (But I'm not there.)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Istanbul, Turkey Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel
  • Re: Istanbul - The Spy Who Didn't Come In From the Cold
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Look forward to hearing more about your trip..Sounds like a "Snow Job" to me though!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jasper,

All the FACTS I gave you are absolutely correct.  However, as a historian, I know facts just provide a shallow basis for interpretation. I leave that to you, at least until you see the photo.

I look forward to your photo's..I was only kidding about the "snow job" considering the elements you were facing in Istanbul. My wife and I have not been to Istanbul but that is on our "bucket list" and I am sure we will get there in the next year or so.

• Istanbul - The Spy Who Didn't Come In From the Cold
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

It is Professor as you say, A wilderness of mirrors or so it's called in the trade, and as someone once said to me, "it's like finding a needle in a haystack, full of needles, not hay!"

I have passed on the coded message you sent to our friends, and thanks for posting it

Only to be a Guru and be a member of this cult...I can only wish!!!

Yes, Jasper, medieval historians do indeed constitute a bizarre cult and thank you SS for passing on the message.

You Swiss account has been credited Professor

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof/SS

the two of you may have unwittingly blown my cover.  No longer will 'shoeman' be looked upon as a mild-mannered shoe salesman,  but as a globe trotting member of you know what......

Oh ss, my account has not yet received anything....

safe travels

I hear that the "check"is in the mail so to speak on new credentials.  Reminds me of an incident near Paris, but then it is still close hold!

OK..we look forward to hear more about this incident once the case is closed!!!

Three passports, red blue and black, and an ID with another name (not mine) and I pulled out the wrong one--and was not arrested though it was a close call.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

reminds me of the time I was departing Brasil and was called aside as my passport showed no entry into the country.  Long story behind it, but it did include an extra night in Rio and a certain sum of $$$.....

Evit and Mustafa informed me of the outcome of your latest mission, Shoeman. Congratulations!  A dangerous one indeed! Kudos for going to a place I dare not.  I hope you too finally received some money posted in that large Cayman's Islands account. May your next mission be on less dangerous ground.

Agent X

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Have a safe trip back, and if you can get some pictures to us, if possible.

Never been to Istanbul, but it sounds exciting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...