26 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2013 12:32 AM by cruisetraveler RSS

Great Job by Mike and Matt at The Buttes, Phoenix

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'd like to give special mention and thanks to a few employees at the Buttes in Phoenix.  Mike, front desk clerk, greeted me with a big, welcoming smile which made me feel right away that this was going to be a good stay!  As soon as he confirmed my reservation, he immediately thanked me (yes, thanked me!) for being a loyal Marriott platinum member.  WOW!  How often does that happen these days.  And then, without asking, he offered a couple of breakfast coupons.  This really surprised me since the Buttes is a resort without a concierge lounge.  I know that other Insiders have not had this same experience at other properties.  So, good job to the Buttes management for continuing to offer this perk.  It really means a lot.  I saw Mike a couple of other times over the next two days and each time, with his big, welcoming smile, he waved, and made sure that I was being taken care of.  As a matter of fact, I was.  All of the staff were very helpful.  Another employee I want to specifically mention is Matt, who was helping the bell staff when I arrived.  He patiently waited during my check in while I enjoyed conversation with Mike, and then assisted with my luggage while he showed me to my room.  I'm glad he did that.  First, I think I would have found it difficult to find.  But, more than that, it made me feel like an important guest...like they really appreciated my business, and Matt couldn't have been more pleasant and informative during the walk to the room.  I also saw him again during my stay, and he called me by name and made sure that everything was ok.  Now maybe I would have thought that it was just these two guys who stood out.  But in the dining room I had the pleasure of being attended to by Samantha.  What a great personality!  Once again she remembered who I was and asked on the second day if I wanted a waffle just like the morning before.  Bottom line, these three may be representative of the entire staff, but these are three that I had the privilege to meet and it was so obvious that they really enjoy their jobs and better yet really enjoy their guests.  Great job to you three, and again thanks for making my stay very comfortable!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Tempe, Arizona, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
  • Re: Great Job by Mike and Matt at The Buttes, Phoenix
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Thanks, nuhusker.  I'm glad to read such a positive review.  We are thinking about staying at this resort for a couple of nights after visiting a relative in Phoenix.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Great Job by Mike and Matt at The Buttes, Phoenix
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Go Big Red!  You deserve the recognition NU

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

nuhusker,

Hope all went well with the rest of the trip!  Great report!  Will have one coming shortly on The RI in Scottsdale.  Great get together.  Thanks!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

nuhusker:

Glad to hear you had such a nice experience. It is nice to be noticed and acknowledged for your loyalty. Thanks for the report. I'll have to put this location on my radar screen for when I pass thru Phoenix.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I am reading all these nice posts on the Buttes however, I read other sites that were not as complementary.

Supposedly Marriott took over from Wyndam in 2006 and put little or no money in upgrading it.  It has been described as a Holiday inn with a nice pool.  It is located in an industrial area with nothing close by.  It is close to the I10 and rooms on that side get freeway noise.  On the other side is the pool and often loud noise from pool users.  Best choice for a room is high floor on pool side if you can get it.

How much of this is true?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

californian,

I stayed at The Buttes in Fall 2008.  I found it to be a nice resort with comfortable rooms, nice pools and grounds.  The staff was really friendly and outgoing.  I remember when checking in how welcoming the staff was and I was immediately given a cold bottle of water upon my arrival.  The property is located on a Butte (large hill) so in that aspect it is sorta isolated.  As your driving up to the top you pass a ball park.  However the general area is not really industrial.  There are other hotels and office park near the entrance to the road that takes you to the top of the Butte.  Restaurants are slightly limited in the immediate area, mostly fast food but there are nicer restaurants which are a short 10-15 min drive away.  It wasn't in no means a high end resort but still a very nice property.

Your description doesn't sound like the place I stayed.  I didn't have any problem and was treated great.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Same here, that place is impressive!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It is not my description but what I read on other sites and am looking for a more accurate description from MIs.  This is why I put time into this site.  I find the information is more accurate than other sites.

Okay, somebody else's description doesn't sound like the place I stayed.

What else do you want to know about the Marriott Buttes?

I stayed in a room overlooking the pool.  Very nice view although the pool wasn't getting a lot of business at the time.  But it looked good.  I suspect that a room facing the highway is more noisy.

I didn't really notice any industrial area.  But this hotel is somewhat isolated.  I had a rental car so it didn't matter to me.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I'm going to be in Phoenix in June.  I thought about staying here, but I ended up just doing an advance purchase for the Courtyard Phoenix Camelback.  Too bad.  This one sounds nice.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I just made a reservation here based on the review   I'm using points and could still swap to another place but have been looking for a nice one nighter with a comfy room, nice property and ideally ease of getting back to PHX for my flight the next day.  The resorts all have a $25 fee and the Ren downtown has a $27 parking fee, so from the more unique type full service Phx area properties, this seems like a good choice.  If anyone has any other suggestions though, please let me know

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

zukracer,

I spent 7 nights at The Buttes earlier this month and really enjoyed my stay.  They do treat Platinum members really well.  When I checked in the clerk told me that I could get the cold breakfast items for free each day or if I wanted to forgo the welcome amenity of 500 points I could get the full breakfast buffet each morning of my 7 day stay.  To me that was a no brainer.  If you can try to get a room with a resort view as the other rooms face the highway.  Also if your lucky enough to get a room on the 4th floor you will get a better view of the pool area otherwise you may just see some rocks and landscaping outside your window.

Don't tell the Marriott police but I wrote a review for The Buttes on Trip Advisor:  Good Stay despite Renovations in Progress - Review of The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, Tempe, AZ - TripAdvisor

I have also been frustrated with the number of reviews on Insiders causing discussions to get burried so I decided to post my review with Trip Advisor instead of Insiders.  Once the site is reorganized I'll start posting reviews here again.

As I noted in my review the hotel is undergoing rennovations.  During my stay most of the work was being done in other areas of the hotel.  On my last day there some work began in the hallway of my floor with the removal of wallpaper.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the rooms look like following the rennovation.

Have a good time and let us know how your stay goes!

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi!

I have stayed at the Butte many times over the years.. They really go out of there way to make sure you enjoy your stay.For example,we were checking in and my husband and I were talking about the front windows on our rental car, they were extremely dirty and streaked ( we tried to find someone to clean them before we pulled out of hertz location but nobody was around). The front desk person at the Butte said, I can clean them for you, just give me your keys and we will have some one bring them to your room.when I am finished. My husband and I were both amazed at her kindness. It will be nice to see the renovations. (They also renovated the Marriott at McDowell Mountain, I haven't been back there since they finished)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...