7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2012 11:20 AM by 697120682 RSS

Platinum benefits

697120682 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just called the Platinum reservation line to try for the first time to use my 48-hour advance room guarantee.  They said sorry, the hotel is booked.  Doesn't seem like much of a guarantee if it doesn't work when the hotel is booked.  They were very nice but couldn't offer any explanation or other options except to book nearby inferior hotels.  Wouldn't you think they would at least offer the kind of compensation they give if they can't honor your reservation?  Has anyone else had this issue?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
  • Re: Platinum benefits
    697120682 Platinum

I followed up with Marriott rewards and they said the guarantee does not work on specific nights with special events so I asked what was the special event keeping me out of the hotel.  They said they checked with the hotel and there was no special event.   So I gues the rule is that you get the benefit when the hotel is not sold out, and by definition you don't need it.  Seems like an illusory benefit if you can't use it if the hotel doesn't want you to use it.  Since this is just about the only benefit of Platinum over Gold status I guess I wasted my time and money getting those extra 25 nights.  Great service.  Anyone know whether Hyatt or Starwood do a better job?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I know this is buried in the terms and conditions but it does seem to diminish the guarantee.  Afraid the competition is not much better when there's high demand, sorry

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

You really need to book "Way in advance", remember you can always cancel, but hotels in major cities are sold out early"!

sometimes that does not work Jerry

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

You are sure right, but advance reservations have saved me many times.

me too but there are times when a year in advance is not long enough

697120682 Platinum 8 Reviews

Have to give credit where credit is due: the hotel emailed me this morning and said they found me a room.  It was an annoying process but I have to say all of the people I dealt with were very nice and professional. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...