60 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2012 11:17 AM by nuhusker RSS

NU and Jerrycoin meet, what FUN!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Suggestion! 

Meet another MI, and share some great experiences, with other travelers.

Tonight, NU and I met for the first time, with more to come, in Phoenix, at the Marriott Buttes.  We really had nice things to say about Marriott and the MI giving us a chance to share some travel tales.  We both expressed our admiration for what many of you have contributed to our travel experiences.  There was only positive things said about how your "Tips" had helped even "Experienced" travelers enjoy their travels more.

He is from Iowa, and I am from Missouri, so we can't "Glamorize" anything.  However, "Husker" is a person that evokes a special love for what he does, and what he believes.  He is a Veteran and has an immense fondness of family, duty and country. 

Hopefully, we all will get a chance to have a "ChinWag", (I learned this in Canada), from other Insiders.

Here are a few pictures from our visit:

Note the beauty of Buttes, "Old Glory", and the classy status of the hotel.  Don't forget to enjoy the great NU jacket he enjoys!

Thanks Marriott!

PS, We are inviting a great "Chap", Chris to meet us in Burlington, Iowa for a personal tour from us "Yanks".

IMG_1829.JPGIMG_1834.JPGIMG_1832.jpgIMG_1830.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Tempe, Arizona, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Monterey, California, USA
Burlington, Iowa, USA
  • NU and Jerrycoin meet, what FUN!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

wish there were more like you two

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: NU and Jerrycoin meet, what FUN!

ss,

Thanks for your kind remarks, "You are what you are".

I am sitting here in a nice RI in Scottsdale, AZ and each day is a blessing.

By the way, I got a direct call, from the GM today, Terry, asking me if all was OK!  That impressed me, and all is well, but I cannot remember that happening to me in a long time.

I think we should all gather at a Ritz somewhere and compare stories of travel and our lives.  We could have a reunion of sorts.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

That is such a great idea. I hope I will find a way to meet one of you, or one of the many others I have gotten to know here, also, in the future!

tryt,

Thanks for your comments, and so true.

By the way, and I hope I speak for all other MI's, we discussed, "We are not any more "Special", than others, but having a laugh together, was fun. 

Even loved ones do not understand, nor sometimes appreciate travel, like those who have done it.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Jerry, did you all plan the meeting or just happened to be there at the same time and just started talking?

What made your stay at The Buttes special?  We are considering staying there for a couple of nights after a visit with a relative.

razor,

Husker saw from one of my posts that I was going to be in the Phoenix area, contacted me and we set up a meeting at the Buttes.  He stayed there, I stayed at the Scottsdale RI.  The Buttes was very nice, but not a place for me.  It is a little too much out of the way for me and was very hard to find.

We did have a good visit and exchanged some good Marriott stories.

Hopefully you mentioned us all in kind terms of endearment?

SS,

Yes, and it was all positive! 

We laughed about having a "Reunion" for all in Burlington, Iowa!  We know Chris would enjoy that!  We had good things to say about all.  I am sure we will do it again, and in Burlington, Iowa (Really!).

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

That's so cool - I'm glad you had the chance to meet each other in person. Great idea and photos, thanks for sharing!

now you can facilitate meetings for the rest of us--Monaco, Silver Spring, wherever

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

How about at your house?

We can seat 120 comfortably, so OK. Can you arrange transportation?

CM,

One thing for sure that came out of the visit, was that the MI site had a very positive impact on our travel plans and experiences.  It will probably even have a larger impact on MI's as costs go up and travel becomes even more challenging.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm finally settled in back at the PHX airport Marriott for my last night here.  First, what a pleasure netting jerrycoin and his wife!  They are classy people and absolutely that was one of the highlights of this trip.  Even better than my three rounds of golf!  I'll definitely keep watch on Insiders and if someone mentions being somewhere that I'll be also, I'll try to do this again. 

Razorback fan, I thought the Buttes was very nice if a resort location is what you're after.  It is kind of spread out...lobby to parking to room makes for a lot of walking.  But, the staff in general, and a couple of folks particularly, were just outstanding.  Not sure if I'd stay there again by myself, but my wife wanted me to check it out was possible future trip with her. 

So anyway, back to the subject, I say do yourselves a favor and take an opportunity to meet another insider.

Does anyone want to meet me?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

let's have a poll!!!  Jasper can hock people to vote. 

SS,

I would, and plan on it when we get to come down sometime and go wine tasting!

SS,

Yes, for sure!  We all want to meet you!

You could invite all to your buddy's seafood place, on the water, in Monterey, at The Sardine Factory.  We could have some Dom P. for the Professor, some NE steak for NU, some wild game for Jasper, some Virginia wine for Chris (I am sure he would not mind CA wine). Shoeman, Tryt, and all the other great insiders will just have to RSVP, what they want.

Two more things, Steve Tyler will sing, and Andy gets to pick up the tab!

Fair enough?

Location Brand Hotel
        Monterey, California, USA

sure 'nuff

I will have a Bud Light.  or 2 ,3,4, or more...

Showman, jerrycoin would've bought you one if you'd been here yesterday.

Shoeman,

We cut you off at 12!

AB, is HQ in St. Louis, and has been bought out by InBev, but we must keep our local economy growing.

I'm pretty sure I settle for Dom P, or a really nice Cab or Pinot Noir!  Would be a lot of fun!!

Tryt,

You will have to discuss the Dom P. with the Professor.

I can remember buying my first bottle for $29, now Sam's sell it for $119 a bottle.  Love it, but just don't drink it anymore.

Great stuff!

Paid 11 bucks for it at the O club in 1970

SS,

That's when I bought mine at a place called 905 in St. Louis.

Thanks for the memory. 

Also have been to Epernay, where they make it, have you?

SS,

Yes, and one thing I would like to share with you that "Husker" and I talked about the other night is this:

Just because anyone has been so fortunate to have done a lot of nice things in their life, we are NOT BETTER, than anyone else, nor that we cannot learn from others.  Yes, most of us have lived some great dreams, but we appreciate how fortunate we are to be able to have done so much.  Likewise, we respect others that may have different desires and travel wishes.

In downtown, Epernay, there is a small monument to General Patton.  I discovered it by mistake, I have no pictures, but it commemorates his march to the Rhine.  Likewise, I was at his church in Haute Villars, where Dom P. was a monk and invented Method Champ.

The area is very nice to visit, and a fun drive from Paris.

Yes and I have the Patton photo

here it is

Patton.jpg

SS,

You are too, too much!

Where did you ever find this?  I was sitting in my car and saw this, driving from Paris to Basel, Switzerland.  I wish I could have stopped along the way and paid my respects to the Americans buried in the graves.  Spent many trips in Alsace, and love every one of them!

Thanks for the photo, and the memories.

I also saw his grave in Luxembourg, but out of respect did not take a photo

Husker

was this a golf trip?

This was a work trip which I added a couple of days to on each end, at my own expense of course, for some fun.  Played all three military courses in AZ.

Husker,

I am not more enjoyable than "Three rounds of golf" in January?

Wow, I guess what everyones been telling me is true, "Not much fun"!  But I am cheap.

Hey Jasper

I saw your poll, but it will not let me vote in it.  anyone else having the same problem????

Could it be that Stepping Stone has implemented his magic here..or because I put in the Celebrity category...I don't know but everyone interested should be able to vote in the poll?

duh.  figured out I had to join the group first..........

Sorry I meant to type meeting jerrycoin and his wife. Doggone iPad!

Husker,

It sounds like the first World Summit for Marriott will be in Burlington, Iowa. 

We'll have to make arrangements.  London, Paris, Monte Carlo, and the others just can't "Ante Up"!

We will have to notify the FF.  Maybe they will give us all a corporate rate, $49.99 per night?

Location Brand Hotel
        Burlington, Iowa, USA
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

It's true.  Traveling makes for a great commonality in forging new friendships.  Shared passion and similar experiences with folks who "get" it.  I really got a kick out of reading all of this!

I meet such interesting people when I travel, and assume everyone else does too.

I am hoping to meet interesting people on my upcoming (Leave Sunday morning) trip to Australia and New Zealand!!!

Marriott Associate Member

You guys are making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!  Glad you're meeting up and Chin-wagging (OK - the visual on that just plain cracks me up!)  I have had the good fortune to meet Stepping Stones a time or two -- delightful chap, but his wife is the real charmer!   Frankly, you're all gems and I'm glad we have you...

I will pass the compliment along to Mrs SS, Michelle, and thanks--you and the rest of the staff are great folks to know and in my past life, to work with as Ambassador.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry and NU:

What a great idea!! Glad to see that you both had such a good time getting together.

What fun it would be for a bunch of us to gather and talk tales of travel! I hope I get to meet as many of you as I can some day during travels or 'come on by' if you're in my area in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. We'll enjoy wine and the sunset with the company we share it with!

We may be in FLA later in the Spring (Feb/Mar).

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Let me know when and where! You can't be coming for Spring Training since the SF Giants train in Arizona..........or.......are you still partying with the Spring Break crowd?

Ha, not really, just mooching off friends in S Florida

I guess thats what friends are for!!!

NU,

Why is this story "Reappearing"?

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Jerry ... I just had a quick recap on this ... sitting here with a big grin and looking forward to a major catch-up!  I am actually glad this resurfaced as it is a great refresher.  What happened to the promised 'Burlington Summit'?

Chris ...

Chris,

It is going to happen!

Just our schedules have been in different directions.  I have been in a lot of other "River towns" here in the US.  Most recently, St. Joseph, Mo, Kansas City, Mo., Jefferson City, Mo, Columbia, Mo, Washington, MO, Hannibal, Mo and so on.  Sort of feel like Mark Twain, I have spent so much time in these "River Towns!"

NU is heading for Washington DC in the near future, so I am hoping to catch up to him later this Summer!

Lastly, I sure enjoy "The Pub Book" you gave me!  Makes me kind of "Thirsty"!  Here's a picture you might enjoy.

IMG_0260.JPG

The Albert, a great place we stopped in after seeing The Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.  "Our throats were severely "Parched" and The Albert was a great Oasis in The London "Desert"!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Jerry

Yes, the Albert is a nice pub.  Ironically, I was in the 'Burlington' Arms the week before last with my two sons.  Nice little Victorian pub that serves good ale and has excellent Scotch Eggs!  It is very small though and, in good weather, many people stand on the pavement (sidewalk) with their drinks.  It tends to be a very safe pub ... it is directly behind the West Police station!

Chris,

Don't think I have been to The Burlington Arms, will have to put it on my list!

I noticed that some of the other Pubs attract large crowds that stand on the pavement.  Note this "Pavement" crowd at The Audley,  near The JW Grosvenor! The guys in the yellow are security to keep people from getting in the street!  What a "Happy Hour!"

IMG_0288.JPG

Not sure why this has resurfaced.  Good news is worth repeating, I guess.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...