12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2012 5:19 PM by anadyr RSS

The pencil

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

DSCN0030.JPGJust an unused little pencil; but an instance that demonstrates that the spirit to serve can be measured in small ways. 

My wife is in inveterate puzzle player and does them in every newspaper she finds.  At this point she has not gotten into pens so the good old wooden yellow Number 2 soft pencil is her weapon of choice.  She was wearing the ones we brought to the nub at Shadow Ridge and asked a front desk associate  if she had a pencil sharpener, or failing that, a pencil she could buy or have?  Elizabeth, one of the front desk associates, looked sadly at my wife, and said, "My Mom, who just passed away, was also a puzzle fanatic.  I'll bring you some of her's tomorrow.  In  any event let me check in the back for a sharpener."

None were to be had and no pencils were found to buy or to borrow--must be a fading item like upgrades I thought to myself.

Today, Elizabeth gave my wife the pencil in the photo, and as you can see it was never used.  Her eyes glistening, she gave it to my wife with a flourish, saying, "Mom would be proud to know that the pencil was being put to good use, like she would have doing  her crossword puzzle."

Was this an instance of tremendous importance?  Not really, but it is the smallest of gestures that make a stay a memorable one. That is what service is, a host of small kindnesses that are at once unexpected and welcomed.

Thank you Elizabeth, for everything, but not the least, your Mom's pencil.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Palm Desert, California, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
  • Re: The pencil
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

First of all, sorry to hear about the loss of your Mother.

This is a wonderful story, and it's appreciated in a world of "Reality" TV.

My Mother, is also a lover of crosswords, (I can't do them), maybe it is a "Depression Era Thing", I don't know, but if it made/makes anyone , I am for it!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Actually Jerry it was the Associate's mom who passed, mine is still alive but suffering from dementia. When we speak it is always of the past, not the present but she is still a wonderful person

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Sorry, I got it mixed up, and so-sorry to hear of the dementia. 

Not a problem, we all have memories

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ss,

So sorry to hear of your mother's condition.  Thank you for sharing the thoughtful associate's story.  It really sounds as if it was just as special for the associate and her ability to bring back a little of her mother into your life.  Every time we are tempted to give up on humanity, we find that there are special people out there.  It is all how you look at life, and memories of other lives, past and present (and future).

So true and what matters most is not upgrades or amenities but kindness and thoughtfulness, even on this small a scale

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Boy..you get right to the "point" don't you?

Incense cedar Jasper (google that one)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

as my mother used to used to shout upstairs to me every school day  "get the lead out"......   moms are precious.

Thanks Shoeman

superchief1 Platinum

Shadow Ridge is a Marriott Vacation Club resort. In my several stays over the years, I have found their staff almost always to be very helpful and friendly. We often see the same staff year after year, and are always recognized and welcomed back. I have found Marriott hotels to be much more inconsistent.

Note: MVC corporate has really downgraded the timeshare ownership experience, but the staff at the resorts continue to be outstanding.

The manager Daniel S, is a great fellow and always ensures that the place runs well.  There are a number of associates there whom I have commended to Daniel and to corporate, and they appreciate the kindness. Every guest is made to feel welcome there by every associate.  Though we are multi week renters, not owners, we never feel second class.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...