8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2012 10:23 PM by jerrycoin RSS

DSM IV Dining Delight

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Founded by a Psychotherapist and excellent chef, John Henry's in Palm Springs CA remains our odds-on favoirte for excellent food, cozy surroundings and fantastic value.  Only as recent convert to web-dom, the place is still hard to find, but well worth looking for. Even Jill, our GPS, spent lots of time figuring out the location (though at times I assume she's being passive/aggressive, to re-coin a DSM IV phrase).

My wife had her favorite, Rack of Lamb at the astounding price of less than 20 dollars, including a large salad.  I tried the Halibut with Macadamia crusting and Mango Butter for 18 dollars.  John Henry wants you to have a good time, stay a long time, and enjoy the food and drink.  (top shelf Cocktails are $4.25 BTW).

If you can do it, order desert, where a quarter of an Apple Pie with a Quart of vanilla Ice Cream comes on a platter, and is enough for 10 people!

Reserve a seat early--the place is always packed in season and times are hard to get.  Oh, and do not eat for several days beforehand--makes that desert choice more do-able.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Palm Springs, California, USA
  • Re: DSM IV Dining Delight
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Love these reports!

Have not been to Palm Springs for a few years but two places, will never forget!  One is Melvyn's (Sp?) and the other was a fantastic Italian place, where the servers sang!  Do not remember it's name, and do not know if they are still there, but what a wonderful town.

By the way, can't find my picture of a place you should take Mrs. SS.  This is where they make Makers Mark.  I cannot drink it, but love their BBQ sauce.  It's just a short drive South of Louisville.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am still waiting for a great review of one of your Marriott stays to supplement your great restaurant reviews!!!

Stay tuned--there are many interesting things to say about this stay and I will make them clear as soon as I can.  And Melvin's is still home of the Rat Pack it always was.  Bing Crosby's is out of business--it was a SS favorite, but they did not pay their taxes and we all know happens then

SS,

I used to work for Chesebrough-Ponds (1970-1980), until they sold the company to Uniliver.  It was a wonderful company, and a great place to work.  That's back when you really believed you were going to "Retire" someday from a company.  Things have sure changed.

We use to have two sales meetings a year in Palm Springs.  It was always exciting to go to Melvins.  There was a piano player there that new the Rat Pack well and had stories of much fun they all were.  Great food and enjoyed the fabulous cars parked around the front door. 

This was all pre-Marriott, and I was a big HI customer.  Back when you would win a trip for two anywhere their was a HI, in the world!  Including coach airfare.  Luckily, I went to Hong Kong on one trip, and Paris on another.  Another era.

Vicky's of Santa Fe has Doug Montgomery at the piano helm--worth a visit.  We also go to hear the duo play at Trattoria Amici on 111 in Rancho Mirage.  As you'll recall the streets are named for Hollywood Legends (alas Jasper is not among them) and it;s a very clean, very modern place.  The Museum in Palm Springs is a delight as are the Palm Springs Follies.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Wait a minute..I am a legend in my own mind!!!

All Legends have an element of truth, which grows fainter with the retelling--I am living proof of that

Jasper,

Your are a legend!

Now for Palm Springs, thanks SS, for the memories.

You guys make my day!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...