36 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2012 3:11 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Asheville, NC - Any Comments or Recomendations?

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

Going to spend President's Day weekend in Asheville, NC at the Ren.

Any comments about the Ren there?

What are my chances of a free breakfast on the weekend? 

Any recommendations for restaurants?  Saw a few on TripAdvisor that look good or promising.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Asheville, North Carolina, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Asheville Hotel
  • Re: Asheville, NC - Any Comments or Recomendations?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

newhilton,

This is a very nice property.  There is a lot to do in this most interesting town.  Really enjoy the area.  Really liked the "Woolworth museum" downtown, and there are a lot of great, inexpensive places to dine.

Likewise, there is a very nice RI, close to the entrance to the Biltmoor that I also really enjoy.  Good luck with your trip, this is really a great place to travel to.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks very much, Jerry!  I've added the Woolworth Museum to my list!

Going for a look around to see if it is somewhere that I may want to retire.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

NewHilton

I would like to echo Jerry's comments.  Asheville is a beautiful area and a most interesting community.  Enjoy!

Thanks very much, Shoeman! 

Didn't you visit there a couple of years ago?

Any recommendations for things to see and places to eat?

Thanks!

Yes I did, my wife and I loved it!  We will strongly consider the area whenever we finally get around to retirement.  For now, the airport is just not sufficient enough for the amount of air travel I need to do.

I will get you some info regarding restaurants, etc.  in the days to come.  when are you going?

Thanks, Shoeman!

I'm going on President's Day weekend... 2/17-20.

The airport situation is also my consideration.  I also travel for work (although the last few years I've been lucky with local assignments) so the lack of flights from AVL is a major concern.... thought if I liked it very much that I'd move there now but don't like the flight connections.  But, we'll have to see....

Looking forward to any info that you have!

Call the hotel you want and ask them to help you.

You will enjoy hearing your choices, they may be able to have someone to pick you up and take you back.

Good luck, and I hope to have places to dine for you in my next post.

Good luck!

Hi Jerry,

So sorry, I don't understand... ask the hotel to help me do what? 

And, have them pick me up and take me back to and from where, please? 

Looking forward to your restaurant posts!!!

nukeferret Platinum 1 Reviews

For travel, depending on how much you travel, its not THAT far (~90) to the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport (GVL) airport.  Its something to consider if the connections out of AVL don't suit.  But, if you travel a lot, the drive could get old.  I know the congressman from the Asheville area uses GVL due to direct flights to-from DCA.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Agree with that -- we had a good time there

Thanks, Steppingstones!

I remember the grilled cheese sandwiches at Woolworth's!  Looking forward to having one at their soda fountain!

fhllast4ever Platinum

If you can save your money or points for some other time or place, stay at Biltmore Inn- -it's way grander than Ren.

Thanks very much for recommendation, fhllast4ever!

Since I'm thinking of Asheville as a possible retirement town, I want to stay closer to downtown to get a better feel for it.

have you considered the Grand Bohemian Hotel?  It's one of the Autograph Collection by Marriott?  the Location is more central than some others.  Several nice restaurants within walking distance.  Just a thought.

Thanks for the tip, Shoeman!  The Grand Bohemian is located in Biltmore Village.

I want to stay at the Ren which is downtown so I can get a better feel for the town.  If I retire there, I'd like to be close to downtown (if not IN downtown).

newhilton,

Sorry to be confusing!

What I was trying to say is once you decide for sure on a hotel, call them and discuss transportation from/to the airport.  I find that many times they can really help me with transportation, and save me money/time, and many times allow me to bill the charge to my room.  Likewise, The Ren. is a full service property that is across the street from Thomas Wolff's home.  Asheville, is a college town, and very charming.  You might want to visit the antiques shops in nearby Black Mountain, a few miles away.

Here are some enjoyable places to dine:

Decades

Bouchon (French)

The Biltmore (Bistro), but call first to see if you need reservations.

One of my favorites is a chaine, Bonefish Grill, but the the lines are long.

Lasty, The Stone House Market is also very good.

Have a great trip!

Thanks very much for the tips, Jerry!

One of the reasons that I am considering Asheville as a retirement possibility is that it is a college town so offers a good array of arts, entertainment, etc.

I've printed out your reply so I'll have your restaurant suggestions with me!

newhilton,

You will have a wonderful time!

Let us all know how it goes.

nukeferret Platinum 1 Reviews

Oh Asheville, one of my favorite places!

The Rennesance is great!  You should like it.  However, as a PP, I've never managed a free breakfast on the weekend (this was staying on points).  The Ren is in the downtown area, the Grand Bohemian is at the entrance to the Biltmore (and you have to do the Biltmore!) and easy access to Biltmore Village (charming shopping area w/restaurants).  I prefer to stay at the Ren and visit the Biltmore Village area.  Its a short drive by car.

Restaurants!  So many great ones and so little time!   <grin!>

I'd recommend Twelve Bones for BBQ, and get the ribs basted with the blueberry chipotle sauce!

You have to do Early Girl for breakfast, but be there and get in line before they open!

Tupelo Honey Cafe is great too!

For dinner, we love Vincenzo's.  Its Italian and a short stroll from the Ren (and Early Girl and Tupelo Honey are both easy walking distance from the Ren.  Twelve Bones is a drive, but worth it!).  Our favorite thing to do at Vincenzo's is to get there early and grab a table in the bar and eat there.  They usually have live music in the bar.  We had reservations and ate upstairs in the restaurant with friends last August, and that was great too!

And, on the Biltmore property, I second the vote for the Bistro, its over at the winery.

And, I'd double check the restaurant hours for Sunday meals and for President's Day.

You might also enjoy strolling around the Grove Arcade, not far from the Ren either.

Enjoy!  I'll be interested in hearing how your visit goes, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks very much for the info, nukeferret!  I've printed it out to research and take with me!

I think we will certainly try the Bistro!

Regarding the travel/airport situation, I typically would be traveling weekly... leaving on Sunday and coming home on Thursday night each week.  So, 90 miles each way to the airport would be a bit off-putting.  Even more so if I couldn't get direct flights to GVL.

Thanks again!

Yes, be sure to do 12 bones.  I believe it was either ss or tjcny that recommended it to me and I thought it was great.  I also did Early Girl and Vicenzo's and found them both fantastic.  I know Jerry said prices were reasonable, but I found them quite high for a small town like Asheville.  Enjoy!

Thanks very much, Shoeman!  Sounds like there are a lot of great restaurants in Asheville!

Has anyone tried Bistro 1896, Cucina 24, Table, or Fiore's Italian?

Shoeman,

I think I also ate at Vincenzo's, if it the old place that is a short walk from the Renaissance.

Yes, I may be "Conservative" on price opinions, especially after dinner tonight in Scottsdale at The Capital Grill. It was great but there are no Asheville prices here.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Stayed at the Ren in 2006 on business, and here a couple of good restaurants per my notes, both within walking distance: Mello Mushroom (pizza, sandwiches) and Ed Boudreaux's (BBQ).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...