32 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2012 5:28 PM by NathalieF RSS

When will Marriott stop taking benefits away?

carolinacouple Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Seems every time we find something we enjoy to spend our hard-earned points on Marriott takes it away.

Like all-inclusive - October 17th - gone.

Like the 4 course dinner, well they change it to three, then they eliminate, but you can now spend 22,000 points (previously 20,000) for a $100 gift card...

Want to travel for 4 days to the same resort, okay, but you don't save on points any more...

We purchased a Marriott timeshare since we are Platinum Premier, but I am not sure that was a good plan since now they want to convert everything to points.

They have roll-over nights, but who can even understand what they are doing, last night we had 92 roll-over nights, this morning it was reduced to 47 without explanation.

Very disappointing since we have been loyal to Marriott for so many years.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When will Marriott stop taking benefits away?
    designdeva Platinum 3 Reviews

They will stop taking benefits away when enough people leave Marriott for other chains that value and acknowledge loyalty.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I assume they know what they are doing, but I'm not so sure.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I think the supply/demand part is overestimated.  Businesses have been cutting down on both where people stay and your per diem.  Since it became clear over the past year that every other hotel chain would comp my status, I've done so with all.  Even if I only stay at most of them occasionally, I can translate it into miles and also get great service while I'm at those hotels at their highest levels. But considering the lowering level of Marriott benefits, it seems to me that if a chain or boutique hotel offers the same or benefits, I would be stupid to pay 3 to 4x the price per room.

I think Marriott needs to start getting real again, since the competition is mighty.  Everyone will comp you.

Your points are well taken, but it also occurs to me that not many people have voiced their outrage or concern. Let's face it, other than a few of us regulars here on the Insider, there haven't been hundreds - or even dozens - of other Elites complaining. In order for Marriott to get the message, there has to be vast outcry from the paying customer, and that just isn't happening.

Hi Mikieg,

I suspect (and I could be proven wrong) that it's because the vast majority of people are NOT frequent travelers.  But those of us who are count in the transportation/hospitality industry, which is why they do a lot to court us in terms of credit cards, frequent stay status, etc. Most of us, me included, will never make the qualifying level by stays, but I got it (I assume) because of the amount of places in Europe and the Middle East where I stayed that were not only more expensive per day but much more so in currency exchange.

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Brilliantly stated Professor.  Competition is there and the recognition that we have a choice in hotels has not yet dawned on Marriott (sadly).  I have comped into all the others as well, and shall see what offers I can get.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Just started asking for "Reciprocity" today from HI.  Your point is well take, what kind of offers might I miss from other chains who would relish my business.  Plus, because of a lack of Marriott properties in many locations, I am going to stay at some of these hotels anyway.

Jerry, my concern is that Marriott seems to take us old timers for granted, which is never a good thing!!!!!

Hi Jerry,

There's another aspect of reciprocity. As I said, I've been comped by all the other hotel chains, some of which I may use frequently because of where I travel (e.g. Best Western), but for those where I can only do so once or twice, I convert them into airline miles. Win win.  I wish Marriott wasn't forcing us into this, since I ALWAYS stayed at Marriotts wherever possible 2-3 years ago.  But nowadays, why?
                ProfChiara

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

profchiara,

That's a great idea, and makes sense when the few points accumulated that won't be used for anything would be wasted, if not turning them into miles!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am hoping Marriott can turn things around in 2012!!! 2011 was not a very good year for the Marriott, in my humble opinion!!!

columbussig Platinum

I agree with all the comments above!  This all goes to my point about the purpose of the insiders page!  

I know it is for us to share experiences, refer properties,etc. 

But I find it amazing that these are the posts that Marriott Community Manager and employees stay away from!  Why not utilize true Voice of Customer feedback and make some changes instead of commenting on food at breakfasts, your latest vacation, or some post that just lets you show that you browse the boards.

In today's world if you do not act on VOC data, especially from Platinum Members you will soon find yourself in a downward spiral and will not have to worry about Platinum Benefits because no one will want to stay at your properties 75 nights in one year when we are not being properly recognized.

Well said columbussig...If Marriott does not address the lack of service that seems to be growing, then they will surely lose many customers!!!

We have the voting block as it were in terms of staying at the properties but the problem seems to be that no votes are taken (except here at Insiders)

The vote is the number of customers leaving the Marriott for the competition. It may not be an official vote count but it sure will reflect on Marriott's bottom line.

While I am in total agreement with you Jasper about this, let me make a admittedly contrary agrument, one that may be in the subliminal thinking at Marriott HQ:

The wrath of us (Platinum members) will never outweigh the non-wrath of the number of new members who join Marriott Rewards.  So, in my scenario as a contrarian, you can stand to alienate some or most of your most loyal members as long as there is a steady stream of new members who are willing to pay for rooms, even at full rate.

New members help the bottom line.

SS brings up an interesting point which I've often thought about before and is somewhat related. It's not cheap to keep the Lounge open and supplied and I wonder if the number of paying guests staying on the Concierge level justifies the costs for the properties.

A GM once told me 20 years ago that the Lounge is a cost issue and that if only one in three honor bar users actually pay for their alcohol he breaks even. Most evenings he did not

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

mikiegfla -- I think your point is right ,on the money.  In fact, on several occasions the West Des Moines Marriott concierge lounge is not open on Sunday evening as publicized both at the hotel and in Marriott T&C.  I was told that unless they have at least 10 authorized users (gold and platinum members) they don't open.  They do, however, give you a coupon for a free appetizer in the hotel bar.  And then the lounge opens on Monday mornings for breakfast.

If it is a question of not being cost-effective to serve us Oldtimers in the CL, I think Marriott needs to reconsider, at least if they are planning to continue their loyalty program.  All the comped hotel chains I've stayed at have given me free breakfasts as part of the deal as well as wifi.

But perhaps more important is the future demographic.  As a college professor, I know my current students will cut costs whenever they can, but they always want to eat and drink. In the past I've always told my best students who go on to travel a lot to stick to one airline and one hotel program because of the benefits. Those people will, once the economy gets on track again, be the motivator of future growth. If Marriott continues to cut back on its perks (and to me the CL and the free breakfasts and hors d'oeuvres/drinks outside of the US is the biggest one), why wouldn't they just go to travelocity, expedia, orbitz or priceline?  I have had to stay at many boutique hotels in the past year because there were no Marriotts in the region.  But guess what?  Shoeman, you'll like this -- I got treated like visiting royalty (trust me, I'm nowhere close in my bloodlines) even when I booked in summer in Venice through expedia.

Just some thoughts...

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings carolinacouple, I have an update from my colleagues on where we stand with the rollover nights from 2011.

On Sunday, January 15, our systems began updating accounts with rollover nights (any night credits above your Elite level requirement) that were earned in 2011.  During the process, we experienced a systems glitch that caused eligible members to be double-credited with rollover nights.  Within hours of catching the error, the extra nights were cancelled from your account.  You will now see two entries for Rollover Nights, and one cancellation, which correctly reflects the rollover nights you earned in 2011.  There are a small number of members who were incorrectly granted a higher Elite level because of the extra nights.  These accounts have been identified, and will be adjusted to reflect the earned Elite level by the end of the week.  We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.  Should you wish to discuss your account, feel free to call 801-468-4000 or email elite.member@marriott.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...