10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 6:39 PM by tef6178 RSS

Whats the best way to get air miles through Marriott Rewards

oneforthemoney Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Looking for the best way to use Marriott points for air miles. Going to St Martin using United Airlines.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Whats the best way to get air miles through Marriott Rewards
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This is a good question and probably can be answered best by a call to the "Hot Line".   They would be able to direct you to a good answer.

Please let us know how it turns out, and share with others, as I really have not tried this.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Whats the best way to get air miles through Marriott Rewards
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

There is a way to combine airmiles and stays on the Marriott website

fhllast4ever Platinum

You can exchange your points for airmiles at a 3:1 ratio -- you will lose 2/3 of your points and just earn 1/3 airmiles.

I think the better deal is the travel package where you exchange your points for airmiles and 7days of hotel stay plus car rental(25%discount).

Be cautioned--  should you decide not to stay for 7 days, you will lose the rest of the days.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Very good advice and information!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

oneforthemoney Platinum

Thank you everyone for the ideas and you are right! The best way is to use you points with a Travel package to get the most out of your points.

The other thing is Marriott doesn't have property in St Martin. :-(

Thanks again

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

As I understand the travel packages of air and hotel, you do not have to use the hotel certificate at the same time you use the airfare. Just arrange the airfare time and ask for the certificate for the 7 nights or whatever the timeframe is to be sent to you. The hotel certificate can be used anywhere within the timeframe it is good for.

fhllast4ever Platinum

Just a tidbit and I found this out the hard way.  I was in Southeast Asia on a travel package vacation (air + car + 7days

hotel) at a Renaissance Hotel, which I had to cut short due to a family emergency.  I had several choices : pay for two days or use

certificates on file.  The front desk staff told me it is less confusing if I just let the travel package as is.  She checked with her

manager who agreed.  I insisted that they call Kuala Lumpur Marriott rewards office to make sure only 2 days is used, 5 days will be

returned to my account. I was assured it will be handled as we agreed.

It never did get re-credited, so I tried to fix it with MR Salt Lake City, who told me it cannot be undone and gave me 5,000 points

for goodwill. On top of it ,unfortunately that particular Renaissance has severed ties with Marriott and is no longer a

Renaissance.  It was a hard street lesson for me, I hope people will read this and learn.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

very true, and I always check the various consolidators like Kayak before I buy airfare with miles--sometimes it makes more sense to go with paying rather than pointing

lizbeth Platinum

Hi!  I have always chosen the travel packages, but have used the miles and the hotel stays separately.  You have a year to use the hotel week, so why not double the fun and do it that way.  Even if you choose to stay in a hotel close to home, it can still be special.  Bette

kingkamea Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree! I never use my points for airline miles unless it's in a travel package. You get a far better deal for the points, and you can use the hotel stay separately from the airline miles.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...