14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2016 5:03 PM by phctourist RSS

Marriott Rewards for weddings or other social events

jonathang. Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi.  I heard that if you book a wedding or other social event at Marriott, you can earn a special bonus, e.g. 50,000, Marriott Rewards points.  Has anyone else heard that?  Does anyone know how to do that?  Thanks for any feedback you have.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards for weddings or other social events
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jonathang,

Thanks for joining the MR insiders and we appreciate your question. 

Your best best is to contact Marriott rewards directly, AND the location of your event.  Make sure they are in sync.  Clarify, what you are doing and make sure your understand the point outcome.

Good luck, and keep the questions and posts coming.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

For my daughters wedding a couple of years ago I verified the 50000 point bonus (as well as room credits, etc) with the hotel at the beginning of the process.  Everything was credited as agreed and they did a fantastic job!

fhllast4ever Platinum

Go to the Marriott home page and click on Meetings and Events, then ask for a proposal (RFP - - request for a proposal

where you will detail date, place, reason for event, number of people, etc).   Marriott will contact your chosen Marriott's group sales person,

who will then  give you a written proposal in detail then follow-up by phone.  Or you can just call them on the phone or e-mail.

Their turn-around is pretty fast.

As far as earning 50,000 points - -this is also on the website for events (promotion-  -needs registration).

Just make sure you get the points in writing before you sign on the dotted line.  I hope this helps.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

One of our daughters had a "marriott" wedding two or three years ago.  Not sure if I got the 50k points, but definitely got a big bill!  Now just one more to pay for and that's it.  We're not having any more!  weddings or daughters that is.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

That's right, a wedding counts as a group event. I can especially vouch for that after my own wedding a few months back. Check out the Rewarding Events page for more details, http://www.marriott.com/meetings/rewards/travel.mi

TKlimited39 Member

What about baby showers? Because my baby shower event was at Marriott in 2011, and I never received points for having a group event there. Plus, I stayed the entire weekend as well.

YogiB Platinum

It depends on how you organize your event.

If you "only" book a suite to invite a few people, it's not in the category "meetings & events", so no bonuses (boni?)

Get a event space with services from the banquet team and reserve a big number of rooms and you should be in business for extra elite nights and bonus points.

But, as mentioned above, it saves a lot of trouble by verifying this up front. And a year later, books are closed and it will be harder to still make something happen.

TKlimited39 Member

Yogic, the hotel hosted my baby shower. They catered my event. It was set up through their sales department, and paid quite a bit of money. The banquet room was rented out to me, and they catered my event, food, beverages, the whole nine yards. So, no it was not me renting a suit there, and I inviting a few people. This was a PAID event.

YogiB Platinum

Then I think you should have been eligible.

I'm not an expert on meetings & events, so don't hold me to it.

It doesn't hurt to pose questions.

You already have a no, but you might be able to get a yes. (Dutch proverb.)

Platinum

wedding pix perchance?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

When planning my daughter's wedding, I asked about MR points and was told that the event qualified for up to 50,000 points, depending on the amount spent and the number of rooms that were booked by wedding guests.  We were given somewhat less than the 50,000 because we did not meet all the requirements.  In fact, we got little credit for the guests that stayed at the hotel, because there were better room rates available than the one specified for our event. 

The important step, however, is to ask about MR credit when you book your event and get the hotel to explain credit you can get, in advance.  

In fact, the event put us just over the top for our first Platinum membership, which we have maintained, ever since.

Platinum

phctourist Wow - nice frosting on the cake to bump you to Plat. I have to agree, as with anything contractual or subject to interpretation, it's always so much less stress to ask and get it clarified before the event.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

They didn't bump me to Platinum.  The nights that I got with the wedding, barely pushed me to 75 so I qualified.

Incidentally,  the event, was on one of the slowest weekends of the year for the hotel industry and they really wanted our business.  (It was the weekend before Thanksgiving.)  I asked if I could buy CL access for all our guests who were staying in the hotel.  The response was "we'll comp you with that for the night of the wedding".  The following morning, instead of hosting a brunch for our out of town guests, we just joined them in the CL for brunch.  That sure saved us a piece of change. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...