67 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2012 11:36 AM by rarelyhomeppm RSS

Are Platinum Members a "Pain"?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A GM at an unnamed Marriott Property indicated to my friend, another Platinum member that "Platinum Members are a Pain".  That they ask for too much, and are just too demanding. They always want upgrades, free meals, etc.  This person did not know about the MI site, and really didn't care.

Personally, I do not think that most of us are too demanding.  All I would like as a minimum is what Marriott has promised PP level customers.  Most of us have a choice and have been supportive of Marriott.

Do you think any Marriott level customers, especially Platinum, are too demanding?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are Platinum Members a "Pain"?
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I try not to demand too much because of Larry's status and I don't complain any more than I did when he didn't even have much of a status.

I do like using the PPE card to get the 20% discount on food, but for the most part, most of the hotels have just bent over backwards to be nice because of his status.  The exception is the one at which we've stayed for 18 mos.

I'm sure there were notes on the computer about my complaining before his status because the desk clerks at the JWM in Atlanta, GA looked at the screen and smiled sneeringly when I complained about the hardness of the beds there.  All 3 of us had a bad nights sleep.

They just don't want anyone to complain about anything, it seems.   

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mapka1 Platinum 2 Reviews

To respond to eb5147

JW Marriott in Atlanta, GA, to date, has been the worst Marriott I have ever had to stay in period!

Rude people, filthy carpets, old and damaged (hole in the walls) building.. Treated me as if I was a "Street Beggar", when I asked to be placed on a Concierge floor, which I was promptly told "your rate is too low for that"! I only am a Platinum Member with 140+ nights last year in Marriott Hotels, and when I called the Platinum Elite Customer care line told them about the whole experience, I was told by the rude Customer Service lady "your comments are noted"!!

Mapka1

The young man who checked us in was really nice and good at his job.  It was the young man who checked us out who was so rude.  He told us that it was impossible that the beds weren't good because Marriott had just spent $1500 per bed set.  Unless they checked each one out, that doesn't mean anything. 

Some of the worst beds we ever had were in a presidential suite at The Fountains in Orlando.  Super suite except for the king and queen beds.  The little twin beds in the 3rd BR weren't that bad. 

Also, the platinum line customer service reps are sometimes good and sometimes bad.

I just won't plan on the JWM there again.  I like the Renaissance Concourse in Atlanta since Larry and I like to watch the planes, even though we always have problems when checking out with a 2nd night free there.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I personally feel like they need to fire that GM since he seems to be insensitive to Marriott's best customers...Sad that a GM would make that kind of statement!!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I think there is something to be said about your best customers being your worst critic.  It's a rather simply idea, those of us 'family' members that stay the most in Marriott properties will, of course, note even the smallest of problems and abhor the big ones.  I would hope that Marriott would welcome our concerns as issues identified from seasoned travelers.    Also, I agree with Jasper.  The GM has his/her own issues and at the very least needs some serious re-training, if not a new employer.  By the way, on a positiver note, I just checked into one of my favorite properties, the Ritz Carlton in St louis, Mo.  I was greeted with a big smile, a welcome back, and "we have you in a very nice over-sized king room".  In the room was a hand-written note from the general manager welcoming me back and accompanied by a wonderful snack.  Very nice!  Good Job!

Maybe the Marriott should pay attention here and follow its partner's (Riz Carlton) example...Sure would be nice!!!

Jasper,

Never stayed at a Ritz, been to many, but you may have the right idea.

superchief1 Platinum

I recall that Ritz has a policy of allowing every staff member to be able to make independent decisions to satisfy their guests. This delegation policy allows them to excede customer expectations. This is a dramatic difference from the new Marriott, who now punishes hotels who go beyond the corporate standards.

I didn't know Marriott had that policy now.  No wonder service would be getting worse.

I do know that if a housekeeper (and maybe anyone) gets 3 complaints, they're gone.  The complaints do roll off after a year, but with all the rooms they do, that still seems harsh for some.  The complaints are judged individually, though.

kristyw Platinum 3 Reviews

Maybe undercover boss (show) needs to come do show on Marriotts like some in the examples you all have given.   Sometimes it takes an intervention sometimes to straighten out negative flows.    What do you think?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

A Pain? Hmmmmm, I can't imagine that.

Of course not from a pained platinum!!!!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Exactly, I'm not a pain, I was PAINED by poor customer service. I am in recovery now and can see brighter days ahead.

Yes,

What pain do you have as platinum.  At over $1400 an ounce, give me more of that pain?

PP,

It does not seem to be imagined?

fhllast4ever Platinum

No, I don't think so --we belong to the "brat club" so I think all golds and plats do behave appropriately.

We want attention and recognition,  we expect you to keep your promise (breakfast and upgrades),

we want perks (better offers,etc), we want excellent service and we want it now!

After all we spent many nights at Marriotts  and spent many $$$ to sleep in those beds, the status of

brat or plat is well-earned.  So...expect us to request, ask, examine, question all aspects of Marriott experience

(without a swagger, of course).

Yes,

That makes sense to me as well, but why should we worry about check-in's and nice rooms?

Really hate to worry about things.  Most of the time I don't care, but when you have loved ones, it really matters that they are comfortable.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I am never a brat, and always am extremely polite, and almost always try to either speak in the local language or at least greet them with a hello in that language.  Is it too much to ask that most frequent stayers get recognition?  I almost never complain, even though most of you have asked me to do so on a few occasions.  Frankly, having been brought up in the 50s and the 60s as a girl taught to be polite, it's still hard to try to get out of all those old habits, no matter what I've done since.

Maybe some Plats are brats, but I am not, and I think most of us are not.  We are asking for something we've earned.  As I said in another post, Delta earned my loyalty and they reward me greatly.  There has not been a single incident in the past five years in which Delta has dissed me or treated a complaint with disrespect.  In fact, almost every time I fly, they send me an evaluation form that ranges from the SkyClub to the gate agents to the flight attendants, with comments requested.

I think when Marriott discarded the Comment cards some years ago, they damaged their brand.  Admittedly, an individual hotel could just discard it, but we had the option to mail it in.  Nowadays, no one seems to care whether we had a good stay or not (except outside the US, where they do).

Also, on the related breakfast issues, which have received so many, many posts under different titles, I do not feel we have remotely received an adequate response.

ProfChiara

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"Frankly, having been brought up in the 50s and the 60s as a girl taught to be polite, it's still hard to try to get out of all those old habits, no matter what I've done since."

I hope you don't change that positive trait about you.  We could use more of the 50's and 60's values in our society today.

Hi NUHUSKER,

BTW, Go Pats tomorrow night! They're one of my great loves in life, from the olden days when I moved to Massachusetts in 1975 (the bad old days for Pats' fans who don't remember but I am no fair weather fan, as I'm sure you can appreciate from the days of Steve Grogan, Tony Eason et al.  I even was so vociferous about what I viewed as horrible coaching that I got letters published in the Boston Globe).

Still, while I valued what I learned, there also is a time to speak up.  I felt when I turned 40 and 45 that that's when I first spoke for myself, and when I first started to learn what I wanted.

But no fear, I am the politest of people you'll ever meet -- which is why I only complain here.  I will never, ever, take my frustrations out on a customer representative or some person who had nothing to do with a bad experience.  And I will always highlight a wonderful experience, as I hope I have done. And I will always reward especially those service representatives -- especially the cleaning people and CL people -- who do a wonderful job, whatever they are told.

Go PATS, once again

Cheers, ProfChiara

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"from the days of Steve Grogan, Tony Eason et al."

Wow, professor, you really weren't lying about your age!!

And I do appreciate your tone, which I'm sure in person would translate into class.  thanks.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

ProfChiara:

Were you a fan during the quarterback days of Joe Kapp and Jim Plunkett? Remember Mike Taliaferro? And that Chuck Fairbanks (head coach). To make it worse for me, I was a season ticket holder then. I suffered through every game at the game. At least Steve Grogan got them to the Super Bowl...but they had no chance against 'da Bears'.

So, I'll be here tonight rooting for Brady, Gronkowski, Welker, Belichick, et al and hope their 'worst in the league' defensive backfield can hold down the Broncos enough for the offense to outscore Tebow.

Go Pats!!

Hi, Tef,

You better believe it.  Though born in Philly, the only team there I like is the Flyers, which turned me on to sports in high school. It was Chuck Fairbanks whom I wrote about (and got published in ) the Boston Globe.  When he stuck with Grogan even when Grogan could no longer perform (though I liked Grogan), I could not longer take it. So I wrote to Fairbanks himself, and got a canned letter back saying 'thank you for your comments', then I wrote to the Globe. I was still in college then (albeit a late entry), but I'd always wanted to a sports journalist, not a historian.  But alas, a woman in the 70s couldn't do that.

AH, Tef, I love your loyalty. And I actually envy you those days of having season tickets in the bad ole days.  We can claim true loyalty! Alas, I was in Paris doing my Ph.D. research when the Pats played the Bears. I was so upset I couldn't watch the game that I called the History Dept. at Brown (duh, what was I thinking) to find out the result.  The secretary didn't have a clue, and there was no internet then.  Probably as well, or my research would have gone to he((.

All the newbies who came on in the 21st C. once we started winning are still newbies to me.  You have to be there through thick and thin, as I was and you were.  But boy, if Brady (key) has a good night along with Gronk and Welker, let's pray ( big ) for the best...  I am very superstitious about predictions.

One of my former male students told me (about 2003) that I must be a 'guy magnet'.  I found that incredibly funny, since I'm, twice divorced and neither of my husbands liked sports.  (If it had not been no fault, that would have been the deal breaker.)  When fellow college people introduce me for talks, they always point out I am a Patriots, Nascar, Red Sox, and European soccer fan (almost always to grimaces, except for the last). Then everyone in the audience looks at me like I am some sort of crazy woman. So be it.

ProfC

GO PATS, GO!  We have a postseason losing streak to break!

ProfC

The Pats will win!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Yipee, they won by a bunch!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Prof:

Big night it was!! How about that offensive clinic!? And Hernandez running the ball out of the backfield.....talk about throwing the other team a curveball! The Broncos didn't know what to make of Hernandez coming out of that backfield position...he was the leading rusher of the game! Now, the tough games begin....and the better defenses usually rule in Playoff games. I only hope their defense can stand up like it did last night. Getting those regulars back who were hurt during the season on defense makes a big difference. They sure didn't look like the worst defense in the NFL last night (although I think they moved up to #31 in the league instead of the worst (#32) the last week of the regular season).

Playoff losing streak broken!

Hi Tef,

Although it took two large cups of coffee to keep me awake (I'm an early morning person), it was well worth it!  I think we're pretty healthy now and Tom looked fantastic, as did Gronk and Hernandez. I think having Chung back was especially important. They made it look so easy which was a relief, as you said, after the past few playoff seasons. Definitely worth forcing myself to stay awake .  Two to go...

ProfChiara

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

wow Prof, you sound like a Pats blogger.....

Hi Shoeman,

I only responded. But Foxboro is a lovely place not far from Cape Cod and I believe houses a Marriott or two...

Cheers, ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Our expectations are fueled by the system in which we are enrolled: the hierarchical Elite system that replaced Club Marquis many years ago and touted itself as the saviour for Marriott's most loyal guests.  When that system breaks down it is human nature to complain (nicely) and that is not equated with being a brat or hard to take in my opinion.  So, as Tom Brady might say after the game, "what happened?" in a good way or not.

I di get Marriott Survey's after my stays in my email.  Does anyone else get these?

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Perhaps Marriott should check with some hotels that have long-stay consultancy teams as to whether Plats are a pain or not.  Over the last few years that I was working, I had two large teams staying at Marriotts ... Preston Marriott near Blackpool and Sprowston Manor in Norwich.  In both instances, I built a relationship with the hotel management and we resolved any customer or hotel issues promptly and to mutual satisfaction ... There were very few of either.  By the time we had finished the two assignments, there were many more Plats than when we started.  I think that both of these hotels found the Plats to be great customers and provided recognition for us on a number of occasions ... Proactively and without any prompting.

Well said and Marriott would be in quite  pickle if not for Platinums and their ilk, who choose to spend their monies at the hotels rather than elsewhere.

Chris,

Great comment!

SS, also brings up the point that Platinum is very important to Marriott.  I do not understand why so many of the properties don't?

No, I am not complaining nor looking for something, it is just a matter of inconsistency.

I do the same.   I crfeate a relationship with the hotel prior to stays and meet the staff that I can partner with doing our stay and have built several relationships with hotels we frequent.   Nowadays - a quick email to my contacts gets things in place quickly and we always have a POC assigned to our group to handle their needs during our stay,    It works perfectly for us.

Great plan!

It really does pay off to communicate with the hotel directly.

j&b Platinum 60 Reviews

while I've noticed a few people being a pain - I can say that from my experience as a platinum member that the marriott staff provide extra attention and service to those of us who travel frequently.  And that certain "pain in the necks" are "pain in the necks" to all hotels not just the marriott. I greatly appreciate and thank the marriott staff for their efforts.  I haven't forgotten where I've come from and I see the pain of other friends and relatives in this economy - so to get the extra benefits and perks that we receive - I greatly appreciate marriott's efforts.  At times I'll notice a staff member having a hard day - but I can recognize and separate those events - from the staff who give bad service, as it occurs not just to our level but to others who haven't gotten this far -  bad service is not restricted to a certain level nor hotel chain.  And by talking to the hotel staff directly, you get past the bad day or crisis of the moment, and you get the service without being a pain. I know from my experiences that Marriott puts an emphasis to their staff to treat their guests well  especially those that travel and visit often and that they address any bad service and/or experience.  And when I've given nights and stays to my kids they've always responded how nice the marriott staff has been to them during their stay.  So when I see a pain in the neck in line in front of me - I make sure the hotel staff knows that the rest of us greatly appreciate their efforts and commend them on their professional, friendly, and courteous attitude to someone who greeted them with far less.  I have yet to witness the marriot staff do anything less.

j&amp:b,

Nor have I!  That is a great practice to show appreciation to people who are really just trying to do their job.

Just because you've never had any problems doesn't make those of us who have as "pains".  For the employee first mentioned to have even made that comment to anyone shows a bad attitude on that person's part, even if he thought it.

I don't expect free breakfasts on weekends because usually the weekday rate is a lot higher to incorporate the extra costs of the CL and other possible perks.  I think that if a place were to charge more for high volume tourist weekends, then the breakfasts should be included like for business travelers.  But I'll stay away from the higher weekday rates usually.

On weekends, I usually pay the extra fee for a breakfast if it's available, because they are certainly worth it.  If the hotel gives an extra free breakfast for a 3rd person, I'm grateful.

What I do expect is courtesy and it really peeves me also for some rooms to have flat screens and others not and for us not to be able to get a flat screen with a good picture, but I'm not going to make a fuss about it.  I'll just try to remember to check on it the next time, or I decide not to go there again, like the one in Atlanta.

BTW, my son and I got a better room at the Airport Courtyard than we can get at the Renaissance.  :-)   

I feel that when we act as you describe in your post - greating the staff and communicating with them and thanking them that they recognize you and treat you the way you treat them.   I don't think that the snbby attitude is what anyone wants to see even if we are Platinum or not.    I agree with your post.

dejamo Platinum

If I am considered "a pain" at a Marriott property, I would consider it a badge of honor.  If being "a pain" is expecting courtesy,  a clean room, attentive associates at check in, and a correct bill..............call me SUPERPAIN!  I will demand the above, but nothing else

As a PP,  I have come to not expect the "extras" that have been implied in the past, and as a result, will not go out of my way to stay at Marriott properties anymore like I used to.  If it is convenient, so be it.  If not..............Marriott lost the revenue on their own, and I will no longer drink the Koolaid, nor spend 200 nights a year in their inconsistent properties.

They have not walked the walk for a long time,  and appear to give more and more lip service than anything else. 

As an LP, I no longer need to spend the nights to maintain a "status".  "Status" at Marriott = Status Quo

dejamo,

Well put!

You are like most of us that just want what was promised us. "Top Billing", for loyalty and solid business support.  We will see what happens?

Heres hoping that Marriott turns around it's inconsistent treatment in 2012 and becomes the Marriott we once knew..but I am pessimistic!!!!

Dejamo,

You're right and that's one thing that businesses seem to forget.  It's the ones who complain who are actually the optimists and who are trying to help more often than not.  Those who don't complain will usually just not reappear, but the do complain to others.  Isn't it the power of 20 that the car salesman who wrote the sales motivational help book mentioned?

And speaking of inconsistencies, the housekeeping departments in different places vary in policy so much.

At some places, a "do not disturb" sign out at 8:30 a.m. means they won't visit you all day.

eb,

This has happened to me, a DND on the door meant, no service at all, even when I took it off at Noon.

Did you see the post by SS on DND, and they called him?  That was too much.

I was not disturbed by the call of the sign that was not there, after all

SS,

Forgot that part, but it was too, too much.  Again,  why don't they just "Welcome" you at check-in?  A message light on makes me nervous in a hotel room.

• Are Platinum Members a "Pain"?

Didn't we learn all this from Marriott giving us these perks for staying?   lol   We are doing what they taught us and trying to do it well.   Does that mean we are a pain?   I say nay!!!      I think that we are both as customers and hotel learning from each other and the relationship is a give a take that benefits both Marriott and us - - especially if we keep coming back, right?

kristyw,

I agree with you, and my experience has been great.

However, there are a lot of properties that seem to care less.

That is what is wonderful about this site, let's identify places that are not worth it, vrs. places that appreciate your business.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry,

My thoughts exactly!

I would like to see more consistent customer treatment from the Marriott chain of hotels, but I guess that is a "pipe dream."

Jasper,

No "Pipe dream" here in AZ, treated pretty special this week.  Weather is pretty good two places said thanks for being a PP!

evilchez69 Platinum 60 Reviews

Free meals and upgrades is the point of having a rewards card. That's why its called "rewards" because you expect rewards for your loyalty.

It seems GM's forget that there are plenty of choices out there. In this economy I believe businesses should be fighting for our dollars.

Especially the business travelers that are not looking for discounts on rates but incentives and comfortablity.

Yes..and the rub is although the rewards seem free, they are paid for in increased hotel rates!!!!

rarelyhomeppm Platinum 1 Reviews

Too your point, business travellers don't appreciate the benefits of a lower corporate rate, as in my case it is paid by the company, with the amount of time I travel, usually 250 + days a year, I appreciate having a few perks for being loyal to Marriott, I don't have to stay at a Marriott in most cases, I have the choice to stay at any hotel I wish, however my loyalty has been to Marriott for many years, seems they don't understand the fact that I don't have to stay at their properties globaly.

So to expect free meals, upgrades, and true upgrades, is not much to ask for when Marriott benefits from tens of thousands of dollars yearly from my staying at their properties globally, does that make us PP members a pain, put the shoe on your foot, how would you treat a customer who spends that kind of money on YOUR business, personally my top clients get the best service, why? BECAUSE THEY ARE MY BEST CLIENTS plain and simple, seems Marriott forgets this simple rule.

As for an earlier comment that the bad service is limited to the US and international hotels are much better is not completely accurate, here are some great and not so great international Marriott experiences for PP members.

Hong Kong Sky City Marriott: world class, upgrade was something else, room was world class, service CL all world class highly recommend.

Marriott Manila Philippines: Overall hotel is world class, dining room staff world class, house keeping great, but that is where it ends, front desk staff useless, was advised via email that I would benefit from PP member check in, what a joke, this means you check in at the CL, hmmm to get to that floor you need an access Key, hmm to get an access key you need to check in at the front desk, asked the Concierge to help me and he advised me I would need to obtain a CL access card to get to that floor in the elevator so I would have to wait in the very long line so that I could get the card and then check in on the CL floor, stupid, if I am going to go through that experience, I might as well just check in, all I got was "I'm sorry" the only words they know at that hotel I'm sorry but not follow up, so 45 minutes later I had my room card and CL access, and they don't honor the upgrade feature for PP members, again just sorry.

Marriott Escazu Costa Rica: very nice hotel, great free meals daily, very clean, well kept, however again staff not so helpful, very friendly but so what when you have to wait 3 weeks to get something fixed in your room, their solution was to move me to a smaller suite so there goes the upgrade, then when they finally fixed the item, something else needed to be fixed, funny for a hotel that is relatively new. and what is with the 7:30 AM cleaning schedule on the weekends, doesn't the hotel know that people tend to stay up later Friday and Saturday nights and maybe want to sleep in, and if you put the DND sign on the door that's it no service for the rest of the day, doesn't matter when you take it off, I would sometimes leave the room at 10:00 AM take the DND sign off only to return at 6:00 PM with no service, response you guessed it "I am sorry"

Worst hotel experience is the Renessance Plantation Florida (Fort Lauderdale) stayed there over a month, they cleaned my room every second day, only because I would complain every second day, after 2 weeks of that I advised the GM that every day my room was not serviced the room was free and he would have to credit my account with 2500 points, well I got 10 free nights and 25000 points because of it, seems they would have learned after the first free night, nope. and the staff wow rude as hell.

Worst staff: Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, if you don't speak French they treat you like garbage, here is an example of some of the treatment I received: Check in was advised my upgrade not available therefore given the dirtiest room in the hotel, I think the room wasn't even available for occupancy, since when I contacted the GM after my stay she was shocked I was given that room, she didn't say it was not to be occupied, however her tone seemed to say enough, every time I would leave the hotel the doorman would walk away and have me open the door myself, the valet would park my car at the end of the street and tell me there it is, even though hotel has a driveway in the front, on the last night valet left my rental on the street instead of underground, freezing rain, he watched me try to scrape the windows with my key card as the snow brush had no scraper, these are just a few examples of that hotel.

I would have to say that my most pleasurable stays overall have actually been in the US not internationally, southern states seem to have the best overall service, however the Marriott in SLC by far has some of the friendliest staff.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...