20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2012 12:13 PM by anadyr RSS

Fungus on Breakfast Bagel at a Marriott Residence Inn!

ksinghal Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

This is very serious in my opinion. 

I have been staying at a Residence Inn in the state IL for almost a year now... I completed about 300 nights in 2011.

Early Jan this year, my wife picked up breakfast from the lounge and got it to our room over a weekend and believe me not, I was just about to eat that bagel and I notice a green dot on the bagel and I look at it closely and there is fungus on the Bagel! I am so glad I noticed it before I ate it.... it was the worst experience in my opinion!

I am not sure how many guests would have had breakfast that morning and would not have noticed that and ended up in the ER or something!

I was very dissapointed, I did bring that bagel to the front desk and the GM was there and he took the bagel and heled me with some fresh bread instead! But this in my opinion in a serious health threat!!!  

I am never having breakfast again at a Marriott property!! At least not at this one for sure!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Fungus on Breakfast Bagel at a Marriott Residence Inn!
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Yuck - thanks for bringing this to our attention and notifying the general manager during your stay! The health and wellbeing of our guests is paramount for Marriott so while you've expressed disappointment with this experience, we hope you'll allow us the opportunity to demonstrate this commitment.

Safe travels! Andy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Although a serious and disgusting situation...it doesn't make Marriott in a general sense a bad place for breakfast. Yes, the food server should have noticed the problem before it was placed in front of a customer, but also, there is the possibility that their supplier or vendor has not been diligent in the rotation of their product (first in, first out) to insure proper freshness. With the turnover a free breakfast creates, I would be more likely to say a vendor has an issue rather than the RI. I say that because.....

In the restaurant we owned (for 30 years...only a sideline business for me, but a big one) we found on numerous occasions that a bread (or other) supplier would pick up outcoded product at location A and try to slip it into location B (our place) where the big (fast) product turnover might give their bad business practice a chance to slip poor product through the system without them taking it back (not a chance with the way my wife checked quality). Unfortunately, in tough times like these, there are some suppliers who do these types of things. So, I would give Marriott...and that RI...another shot. After being brought to their attention, I would bet their diligence of product checking just went up a bunch!

And that restaurant business of ours......we GAVE it to the employees (who had worked with us for about 20 years) when I retired from my turnaround business. It still exists today; they all still work there and have done well enough that they exercised their option to buy the property from us the business sits on last year. Good for them!

Nevertheless....and back to topic....the RI food server still should have noticed the bad bagel.

Bon Appetit!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree with tef,

I would never rule out a place, especially if I have had previous good experiences with that location, on a one bad incident.  I believe they will be looking even more carefully at everything that comes in the door from their suppliers.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Yes,

I have to think this is an exception and not a norm.  Since I am staying at a RI right now, will check my bread products tomorrow.

Really think the manners and volumes of food some people concern is more likely to make me sick than the food.  I swear some people eat like they'r "Going to the chair"!

Thanks for sharing this will all of us.

• Fungus on Breakfast Bagel at a Marriott Residence Inn!
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"I swear some people eat like they'r "Going to the chair"!"

jerrycoin -- that is absolutely classic!

Not joking!

Laugh about it with the help all the time!

That was one thing I noticed on the Cruise Ship.  How many buffets can you eat a day?

Seen in the CL people there as long as there is food.  They should bring their "Camping Gear"!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I've seen that last meal mentality.  :-) 

I've heard of some who were taking all the cookies when they came from the kitchen and keeping them for themselves without sharing them with anyone.  My husband and son saw this and weren't able to get any for themselves.  Some people are just too narcissistic for words.

eb,

One of the RI, GM's told me he had two lady's at his place that he thought were feeding a large number at people at their church!  That may be why more places are going to "Common cup" servings verses individually packaged items like milk, cereal, etc.  In Europe, many places charge you for catsup, mustard and other condiments, as well as the bags you put your food into.

Jerry,

The RI here had to start bagging cookies because too many people were taking several.  So they got small cookie bags and put 2 in each bag.

This particular family would take all the bags and repackage them, stuffing several bag contents into just a few, so they weren't even going to eat them.  There were empty bags all over the place and they were making sure nobody else could get any with the whole family crowding around the tray.

That was what I meant by narcissistic in this case.  I could have chosen a few smaller words that wouldn't have been that flattering, like greedy for one.

I doubt that they even had the intent of giving them away for a cause.

But the case you told of was really not very exemplary for their cause, was it?  It's hard editing my words at times.

eb,

I was surprised at how nice the evening snack was at this RI.  The weather was icy here so I stayed in and enjoyed burgers, beans, chips, etc., all were very good.  Took it to the room and had a relaxed evening.

eb,  Sounds like the "Cookie Monster" visited your RI!  Pretty pathetic.

Bread is so easy to mold.  I know they wouldn't have intentionally set it out because they don't want the reputation.  This was possibly from the distributor as someone else mentioned.

• Fungus on Breakfast Bagel at a Marriott Residence Inn!

jerrycoin -- so let me try to understand this.  In Europe they give free alcohol in the CL, but charge for ketchup and mustard????????

NO,

The CL everything is complimentary, but when you go to most fast food type places you pay extra for condiments that normally are free in the US.  Likewise, if you shop in the supermarkets, you either bring your own bags, or buy them at the store.  You need to bag your own groceries as well.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

JC,

The bag thing has made it to our side of the pond, also.

PP,

Have not seen it here in the Mid-West yet.  At least where they charge you.  The recycle bags are pretty common in most retail chains.

jerrycoin, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know about paying for condiments in fastfood places.  I, also, have not seen bagging your own groceries at our local grocery stores.  Do you suppose the groceries are cheaper at those stores where you pay for bags and bag your own groceries?

NU,

Don't see any difference in prices.  The profit margins are so small on groceries that it seems to be a matter of personal preference as to where a person shops.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...