71 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 10:25 AM by phillybased RSS

Have they ever considered.....a level ABOVE Platinum

shawnecooper Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am sure like most of you I reach Platinum by June.  Why not another level with a few more perks. I stayed 110 nights last year and did 28 meetings.  I could retire on points and just live there.  Although sitting in one right now I can say only thing I miss is my family and dog.  First time at San Mateo and I have a 2 story room and this property is perfect for smaller meetings close to SFO.  Easy to deal with and very attentive unlike the massive SFO Airport Marriott.  The line dancing conference did me in before Christmas.  I have found my new home for 2012!  Congrats San Mateo.....you just got my meetings and a new housemate!  Karie in sales even offered to keep some of my things so I do not have to lug them every week form the east coast! Mimi in the Lounge....my new Mama!

I would like the challenge for Executive Platinum or Diamond.  Could be fun to try! Ever thought of it?  I already have lifetime but they only kicks in when we retire and loose status...many years away for me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Montgomery, Alabama, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Montgomery
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
  • Re: Have they ever considered.....a level ABOVE Platinum
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Shawny,

You have no idea how often this comes up. Some folks have monikers for this new level..Plutonium being just one. I, for one, would prefer that the benefits afforded to the existing elite levels be administered consistently across all properties. Once we can get that down, lets tweak these levels to meet the needs and even exceed expectations. THEN let's talk about another level.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

very true painedplatinum,

No matter what the level added, benefits can get eroded up to that level too.  Still comes down to keeping control of the levels, benefits awarded, and percentage of people allowed at each level.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Based on your comments painedplatinum, it seems like it will be a long time before another level is added...Based on recent reviews I have been reading here, seems like the service has been deteriorating at Marriotts and not improving even though we were told that a massive training program to improve service was implemented!!!

• Have they ever considered.....a level ABOVE Platinum
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with PP and tryt53.  It makes no sense to add another level when the current level can't be managed.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Don't see another level coming!

This has been talked about for a long time.

Wait a minute..have we all forgot about the Platinum Premier and Lifetime Platinum levels that are above Platinum????

jasper -- don't think we've forgotten, but those levels typically aren't recognized appropriately either.

I agree but just wanted to set the record right!!!!

nu,

That is a sad note as well.  It really bothers me to read about the lady and her husband staying at the Montgomery, Al RI and having that experience after 1 and a half years there.  Maybe, I am missing something.

williston Platinum

NOt been my experience.  Virtually always upgrade to a suite at full service marriotts.  Could be better at Courtyards though

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Stayed there a lot over the years and always got the two level suite you mentioned.  It was great.  And the lounge has excpetional offerings as well.  Other than the maze of roads leading to 101 from 92 (I was headed to Stanford down the road) it was a great place

Marriott Associate Member

Greetings!  Yes - the thread is correct, we do offer Platinum Premier status, which is selected annually based on the top elite night achievers.  And yes - I know many of you think the benefits that come with PP stink - it's on my list.  FYI, Lifetime is based on a number of variables, and the level is 'anchored' by the number of years in which you remain at the level you qualify for.

Shawnecooper - I'm sure Mimi can arrange for a rent-a-family/dog while you're in residence!  ;-)  Mr. Marriott just blogged about a woman who spent 10 years in a room at the TownPlace Suites - she's so cute!   http://www.blogs.marriott.com/marriott-on-the-move/2012/01/index.html

Travel well, Michelle L

traveler2 Platinum

It would be nice to have some specifics as to how to obtain PP so we can try to reach that goal. Instead of it being a "chosen" level!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

traveler2,

I may be wrong here, but I'm not sure you would know exactly what the mark is, being that I think it can change.  I think it is the top 3% of Platinum Elites, and so the top 3% is just in relation to how all the other Platinum Elites are doing that year, in terms of stays, etc.  Anybody else care to correct or add to my understanding?

Hi again - Platinum Premier is calculated every year based on room nights and tenure, generally the top 5% of Platinums.  And tryt53 is right in that it changes every year based on the total Plat population.  Essentially, it's the top traveling membership.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Michelle,

We got 510 nights in 2011.  There's no telling how much longer we'll be here, whether 1 night or 1 year, but anticipating it's being a while, but just with no guarantee.  

The rates are so good for long term and after a couple of months in Montgomery, one is deemed "transient resident" and doesn't pay taxes for the room anymore.  So it's better to keep the room even when we go on vacation, which he has to do every quarter or lose any more accumulations for vacation.  

Location Brand Hotel
          Montgomery, Alabama, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Montgomery
          dionnec123 Platinum

I've been Platinum Premier (and lifetime Platinum)  for the last 3 years and so no additional benefits over that of a Platinum. In fact, some front desk folks don't even know what a PP is.  I see absolutely no difference in the service given to Platinums compared to Lifetime Platinums, compared to Platinum Premiers.  I would say that 2/3's of the time, I am welcomed as a Platinum and not Platinum Premier.  If Marriott is going to have this level, make sure that there is a difference in benefits or treatment and perhaps considered changing the name so it is more easily recognized. 

We agree here and I find that it is bothersome to have to aaask if the desk can figure out that your loyalty deserves mentioning.

ltplatinumwtb Platinum 8 Reviews

I couldn't agree more.  I have been Platinum for 10+ years and Platinum Premier for at least 3+ of those years.   There is no difference in benefits.  I have stayed 75 nights at the same hotel (Renaissance), so not low level brand within the chain and still not get requested room preferences or best room available.   What ever happened to pre-blocking rooms for Platinum members.  Marriott just doesn't seem to value their most loyal customers as they did years ago.   There must be too many these days.

mijoh1 Platinum

How about issuing an exclusive black membership card for lifetime platinum for one? Secondly, instead of points OR market items on check in, how about points AND market items for lifetime or PP members. The old school gift bags that they used to give out would be another good choice for lifetime or PP members. A guaranteed upgrade to the BEST room available for lifetime and PP members would also be good.

mijoh1,

Have a black marriott, MR card.  Using that when checking in along with my black Marriott Visa.  Are all the Marriott Rewards card black?

Jerry,

Larry's is black, also.

Are you PPE?

If so, there will be a statement on the back of the card that 20% will be deducted from your food bill by showing it when ordering at certain full service hotels.

great suggestions-I vote yes on all your suggestions

Greetings!  Lifetime has their own card which they receive annually.  Regarding your benefit suggestions - noted, thanks!

Hi Michelle, thanks. Is there a rationale for reissuance of lifetime cards (a nice gesture)?  Is it that the cards themselves look different or is it to recharge the Kyptonite level they contain?

Sending out the membership kits is our opportunity to 'formally' speak to our members once per year, so - nice gesture yes - but also a chance to talk about changes to the program, etc.  The graphics and colors on the cards are a funciton of brand voice, available assets and the ease with which our fulfillment partner can recreate it (color can be extremely tricky).  You won't see black because that is the color of one of the Ritz-Carlton Rewards cards.

Okey-dokey, and all this time I thought it was just a card

mijoh1 Platinum

I am a lifetime platinum and I do have one of the cards. It is EXACTLY the same as a regular platinum card, but just has the word "Lifetime" added to it. All I am suggesting is something a little more distinctive than that for a "lifetime" of brand loyalty. It does not have to be black, but something that stands out from the regular platinum card. Perhaps a multicolor or something. Let's think outside of the box here, for a change. You seem to be dismissing the suggestion out of hand. No disrespect here, but your excuses about color of cards are just that. Why not research this before replying with such an answer? In this day and age there are a number of graphics vendors that will jump through hoops to do anything Marriott would need in this regard. Really look into the matter THEN get back to us.

I guess you're right.  They're only such a dark, charcoal gray that they look almost black.

wearytraveler Platinum 18 Reviews

Michelle,

I have been a Lifetime Platinum for several years (3 or 4) I think.  The only Lifetime card ever sent to me was the original card. When should I expect another Lifetime Platinum Card. 

Hi Weary!  We just completed a research project that included Insiders and other members relative to the types of communication that our Lifetime members (and future Lifetime members) would like to receive from us.  Hope you had a chance to participate!  In the past, the program did not send Lifetime members new cards after the first one was sent -- why -- beats me!  I expect we'll begin sending them annually, probably beginning in 2014.  And you'll see more outreach and Lifetime recognition as well - not sure what that will be yet as we're still digesting the feedback from our members.  Anything else I can help you with today?

michelle

phillybased Platinum

I think it's a great idea!  I was a Global Services member on United; I was always recognized, thanked, and a car at the bottom of the jet way when traveling International. 

As a newly anointed Platinum Premier I will be interested to see if there is really any difference since I stay at mostly FS properties. 

Customer loyalty is hard to get and easy to lose.  I hope Marriott listens to it's best and most loyal customers.

Let us know if the treatment changes

dejamo Platinum

Good luck with that.

You're right about the loyalty, but I don't think you'll see any difference.  Perks are about the same.  Recognition is usually, "Do you want points or merchandise from the market?".

What really irks me is that they don't give any consideration to a room reservation that's not even getting an upgrade.

Yesterday, we were placed in a room across the hall from the elevator and ice machine.  Last month when we were here, a couple with young children who were really noisy and crying were placed across the hall from us.  This when the place was not nearly full.

Once, a barking dog was placed next door.  I can't even understand why they allow pet dogs in the rooms, even with the $100 charge.  Dogs bark!!!!  They had to move us to another floor that time.  These are complaints regarding the Fairfield Inn that I had said in another post that I liked, and I do, but I don't understand why, with the training they supposedly get, they aren't taught to go through some thought processes regarding room assignments.

At the Residence Inn, they've booked parties out in the room above us and they should surely know that even footsteps can be heard through the thin ceilings. 

Location Brand Hotel
      Columbia, South Carolina, USA

EB,

Ever had kids?  If you check into a hotel with a couple of young children, would you like the front desk to assume your kids are "really noisy and crying" and stick you on the end by the staircase? You do realize that some kids cry from time to time....some kids are noisy from time to time...some grown ups are noisy from time to time...some people complain about things that would never bother you from time to time.......

A hotel is a building where all types, sizes, ages, stay when on the road. All types, sizes, ages should be treated as if they are welcomed guests. Trying to figure out how a front desk person had the audacity to put living breathing humans within ear shot of you may be viewed as a bit much.  Just saying.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

EB

I support your feeling entirely.  I don't have any problem whatsoever with crying children, loud guest, elevators, etc.   I just refuse to be put in the room adjacent to them.  period, amen.  If that makes me a bad person, maybe politically incorrect, so be it.   I pay good money for a restful night as a guest of the hotel, and I expect to get peace and quiet. 

Shoe,

I'm not sure how, prior to a person taking up temporary residence in the room, that a front desk person could "profile" loud. I'm fine with folks asking to change rooms if they experience a problem, I'm just not sure you can lay the issue at the FD clerk.

I thought eb5147 made his case fairly well.  First he spoke of the elevator and ice machine.  If that bothers a person, they should be moved.  Then he talked about noisy, crying children in a hotel that wasn't nearly full.  Maybe a desk clerk should have tried to locate the family (at check in) further away from other guests...a little forward thinking maybe.  Then he talked about the dog barking.  I agree with him.  Why do they allow animals, other than service animals, in the rooms anyway?  And if I'm disturbed by a barking dog, I'm going to first ask to be moved, and then pursue a complete refund.  As for the party in the room above him, he shouldn't have to move, the people disturbing the peace should be evicted. 

right on, Husker!!!

Husker,

Granted, the argument was laid out well. I can see the issues as all being a pain in the you know what. In total, they can add up to quite an unpleasant stay.  My point is that it may be easier said than done to determine which little ones may be irritable tonight. Short of a GM designating "these six rooms" for families, I can't fault the desk clerk.  The pet thing is a different issue. There are many hotels that have a no pet policy. I do tend to see the pets at the longer stay hotels, ie. Res Inn, TP suites.  I believe many of these pets belong to families that are involved in temporary/long term stays. I don't travel with a dog or cat, but I have empathy for the families that do. I'm certain the pet owner would prefer that their animal be as invisible as possible to other guests. The party people....I'm with you.

painedplatinum -- I'm not suggesting that families be relegated to a certain corridor, etc.  But eb said the hotel wasn't full. I just think it would have made sense to spread the guests out a little more to avoid any cross noise and so on. 

"would you like the front desk to assume your kids are "really noisy and crying" and stick you on the end by the staircase?"

In the first place, we were at the end of the hall near the staircase.  In the 2nd place, as stated, the place was fairly empty.  In the 3rd place, my age is fairly obvious and I'm a senior, and with PP status for my husband, I really think there can be some common sense used.  If not common sense, then maybe some common sense guidelines from Marriott training. 

My real point was that even if an upgrade can't be considered for status, room assignments should be at least.

And with the barking dog, that whole wing had to be moved.  How would $100 make that worth it to Marriott?  I'm not even sure the $100 isn't just a deposit.  Going for the pet business and letting the MR be worthless doesn't make good sense to me.

Sorry you can't understand.  When your children are grown and you're my age, then you'll walk in MY shoes.  I've been there in yours, but 30 years ago is a long time.  And as shoeman said, I pay for a good night's sleep. 

Phillybased,

Welcome to PP, and we all look forward to your comments on MI.

Your points are well made.

musictomyears Platinum 6 Reviews

I am wondering why even look at adding  a new level, until Platinum

perks and treatment are "Platinum" many

Reward Members have stated they are looking elsewhere. 

Each level needs to be secure before another

is even looked at or else they will be unhappy too. 

Well said Musictomyears.  The levels ought to be secured and mean something first

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

The recent changes certainly haven't had the desired affect and have turned off many long time stayers. I am sure Marroitt thought it was doing something good by dropping the lifetime numbers but it does the opposite. Many people stay as often as they do to get lifetime credit( i did) and now you lower it. You see many long term people on the forum talking about going to Hilton since there is no incentive to stay. They also up the points to stay in many hotels which cheapens the points. Also by lowering the lifetime points you eliminate a major advantage of the Chase card that is the 15 nights which are meaningless to a lifetime Platinum. So I always believe in offering a solution to a problem. Lets add a lifetime platinum premier say at 1000 nights and 2.5m points. then offer to this category say a 50% discount on whatever points it requires to stay at a hotel. What does this do it keeps people wanting to stay and it gives a real loyalty boast to people that have used Marroitt for many years.

erc Platinum

The issue as I see it, is that Marriott does not view themselves as having a problem needing a solution. We've had polls, ideas, suggestions, solutions etc. coming out our ears and other orifices for months to no avail. My time is now better spent researching deals (everywhere) rather than believing in our short term ability to alter the current corporate culture.  Interestingly enough, here's one of the reviews on Amazon about Bill Marriott's recent book, Without Reservations

Without Reservations is a testament to how a company creates a long-term  competitive advantage in a service economy—it is all about the culture. Bill  Marriott is the icon of the hotel industry today because he understands this principle better than anyone I have ever met.

- Michael D. Johnson, Dean - E.M. Statler Professor, Cornell University, School of  Hotel Administration

The culture certainly has changed - who knows, jasper100 may well be on to something in his posting up above.

Jerryl

your post nails the situation perfectly.  Also, your offered solution makes sense,  Now, if you could just get someone with any power at Marriott to listen..........

It's my opinion that they do not accept the premise that there is a problem, so no need to address something that doesn't exist.  sad.

There will only be an issue when it becomes a PR problem.  And that's far from where we are now.

erc Platinum

Putting on my Lloyd Bentsen cap, "Arne, I worked with Bill Marriott. Bill Marriott was a friend of mine (back when Jeremiah the Bullfrog was also; today he wouldn't know me from Adam). Arne, you're no Bill Marriott".  And so that no one thinks we're spoiled customers asking for a "soft touch CEO" back, remember what Laurence Geller, former CEO of Strategic Hotels (partners with Marriott in several deals, some involving litigation) said about Mr. Marriott on the recent CNBC profile, "he is as meticulous in his fighting as he is in serving his customers. He is an incredibly mild mannered, soft spoken competitor, who loves winning".

But like Anadyr says above, it could be a long time before it becomes an issue, and to be fair, Marriott is rolling along:   http://news.marriott.com/2013/03/marriott-aces-fortunes-most-admired-list-again.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MarriottNewsCenter+%28Marriott+News+Center%29

so sadly, perhaps us loyalist dinosaurs are the ones out of step.

Arne is a grad of Luther College and from what I hear a fine fellow.  Bill Marriott would have chosen his successor with care, of that I have no doubt.

We are indeed a group whose loyalty seems to be mattering less and less, and for that I miss the old Marriott style and the old Marriott leadership team a lot.

erc Platinum

Indeed, thanks for pointing that out - no knock was meant. Arne has been a highly effective executive (CFO and COO) for over 15 years at Marriott and certainly appears to possess the same thoughtful personality as Bill Marriott. Disappointingly for us, he's no Bill Marriott.

Arne is from all accounts a solid manager, and his leadership at Marriott is just starting.  There will be bumps, but based on his revenue now and forecasts the future looks good for Marriott and for him.  I am wondering, if in the biog picture, the loyal guest satisfaction issue ever gets mentioned at all?  I suppose they see it as a very marginal issue, from my perspective looking in as an outsider, and perhaps their points of view.

Several high school graduates from out town have attended Luther College in Decorah, Iowa.  Luther has a very good reputation in the Midwest among small private liberal arts colleges. I suspect Luther prepared Mr Sorenson well for law school and his professional life. 

phillybased Platinum

So .... As it turns out almost EVERY hotel fails to recognize a difference between Platinum Elite versus Platinum Premier.  Rarely do I get an "upgrade" other that what I had always received as a Platinum Elite.

If Marriott really cares about the top percentage of travelers, they will spend the time and money to educate the front desk personnel and monitor the treatment of us Platinum Premiers to ensure we get something other than what Platinum Elite gets.

shawnecooper Platinum

I just received a very nice package from Marriott for Platinum Premier, even came with a toiletries bag, that I will actually use! It was classy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...