36 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2016 8:05 PM by clebert RSS

Key West Marriott...very disappointing!

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just returned from 3 nights at the Key West Marriott.  This hotel is a category 7...really????!!!  I used points and feel quite ripped off!!!

The architecture, room size, etc. aren't much better than a Motel 6.  First of all, the layout and design of this property is horrible.  On the ocean, but it appears that very few rooms have a view of it.  Ours had a view of a wall, with the echoing sounds of highway traffic outside our window.  How romantic!

While the style of the furniture is updated, the quality is poor.  It looks nice, just don't sit on it.  The bed comfort was so-so.  The room was VERY small, but the bathroom was large and probably the best feature.  I have such trouble believing that this is a category 7 property.  The location is right on a major highway, you can't see the beach from the restaurant, the pool area is okay...but not great like other Marriott's I've stayed in.

Another major problem was the electricity kept shorting out and our internet connection was deemed unfixable.  Unfortunately, I was in meetings most of the day and my husband wasn't up to raising a big fuss over the situation after multiple attempts at repairs.  If I wasn't so tired at the end of the day, I would have been complaining...but gosh, I thought hotels were supposed to take care of problems...not wait until a guest raises hell for them to be remedied.  Especially as a platinum member, I expected at least to have them move us to another room if the electricity and internet weren't working.  No such offer was made...we just had to endure 3 days of loud traffic, drunk guests screaming at 3:00 AM with no attempt by management to deal with it, no internet and half of the outlets not working.

It should also be noted that this hotel is far from Duval Street, restaurants and other areas visitors might enjoy. There is a hotel shuttle, but I felt staff discouraged us from using it.  Saying it would only be able to drop off and pick up in an area that was not convenient for my needs.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Key West, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel
Key West, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Key West Waterfront
  • Re: Key West Marriott...very disappointing!
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

mgoes2:

Sorry to hear that your experience wasn't up to the standard that was expected. Should be no excuse for some of the issues you encountered. Send an e-mail to customer service at Marriott. They might see a reason to return some of those points that were used a a gesture of goodwill for a bad experience delivered to a loyal customer.

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Does not seem like we are getting a good start in 2012 with the Marriott!! Hope this is not going to be the pattern here!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Yes, also so sorry to hear of your experience.  This hotel has got good marks in the past. 

Have stayed down the street at the CY and FF and never had a problem.  Great staff at both hotels!

IMG_0596.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
    Key West, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Key West Waterfront
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks mgoes2, I've relayed that information on about your disappointing experience but have you been in touch with customer care? customer.care@marriott.com

Yes.  Thank you for having forwarded my comments to them.  Cliff from the Key West Marriott responded and made amends for the problems we experienced during our stay.  I appreciate that my issues were dealt with fairly and expediently.  It will keep me loyal to the Marriott brand to know that if I do experience problems, they will be dealt with. 

mgoes2,

Glad you had this situation addressed and resolved.  From most accounts this is a fine property, and certainly not inexpensive, especially this time of year.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

mgoes2,

Really glad that they resolved this so well for you!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Unless they were packed full, it doesn't seem right that they didn't offer to put you up in a different room. AND if they were packed full, they should have mentioned that and offered you the moon.

True.  They never offered to move us (maybe they were full), but they did make amends by returning a fair number of points to my account, along with a letter of apology for my problems there.  I do appreciate that effort to make amends, even though it was after the fact.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Very odd. While reading this I was wondering if you were talking about the Beachside resort, especially  when you said "The architecture, room size, etc. aren't much better than a Motel 6". I thought this was one of the best properties I've every been to in the entire Marriott system.

Mike,

Yes, this is  odd.  This is the first negative I have heard about this property.  Motel 6 is not what I would compare this property with.

tkodiak Platinum 1 Reviews

To be fair; which hotel were they staying at? There are five Marriott properties on the island. Two Fairfields, two Courtyards and a Beachside resort. The Fairfield Inn on North Roosevelt is newly renovated and was fantastic. We were just there August 22 to 26, 2015

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I've heard mixed reviews of this property and of Key West in general.  You'd think the place would have some sort of backup power as electricity in Florida is sketchy, especially during the summer/early fall when T-storms roll through constantly.  If anyone has an idea on how to deal with loud drunk guests who are disruptive at 3am, I would love to hear it.  I seem to get rooms by these types all over the place, and it is one of my greatest pet peeves.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Best way to deal with loud obnoxious drunks is to get them into a public place and have called the Police beforehand so they can get a public intoxication arrest.  I know, not always that easy, but I wonder if the hallway of a hotel is considered "public area"? :

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for the info folks, I'm considering a stay here or at the new Autograph at Key Largo and had already semi-decided on the Autograph on the basis of "new beats old"

I'm now sure!

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

No no no no no!!!  The Key West Marriott Beachside is one of my all-time favourite properties!!  I would spend the rest of my life there if I could.  We loved it so much we went back a couple of weeks ago.  The one-bedroom suites are gorgeous, and the restaurant is nothing short of perfect.  Not to mention you'll be missing Duval Street.  You must go!

I should add that, as a Platinum checking into the Key West Marriott Beachside, you will receive a glass of champagne while checking in, an upgrade to your room, and breakfast vouchers for the restaurant.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

NB. Both the Marriott and the Courtyard in Key West are Cat 9's!

EVen the FFI is an 8!!

WOW!!!

brightlybob,

They are all very nice places to stay.  I think the FF, is the most unusual, and finest FF, I have experienced.  It was a real treat.  All the others are fine as well.  Just get used to taking the shuttles.  Don't drive, if you are going to any of the "Hot Spots"!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

My remembrance of Key West:  Shuttled over to watch the sunset.  Sat with many people and waited.  As the sun was ready to go down, a boat came and stopped in front of all of us and did not leave until the sun was down.  Much yelling from the crowd did nothing.

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

It is Key West!

superchief1 Platinum

The Key West Marriott Beach side Resort is a former timeshare property. The room set-ups are similar to many timeshare 2BR lockoff units: one bedroom with living room, kitchen and balcony; and a small bedroom with microwave and mini-fridge. I think a major reason for people having very different experiences at this property is due to the type of room assigned. If you are assigned the small bedroom (std room), you will be very disappointed because these are small rooms with no views. If you are upgraded (or reserve) the bedroom with kitchen & living room, you will be delighted.  I was upgraded as a platinum a few years ago, but I understand it is now difficult to get an upgrade. It may be worth paying more to confirm the full 1 BR. I also received a complimentary continental buffet for 2 when I was there, but am not sure whether this is still offered since it is a 'resort'. It is a nice property, but keep in mind there is not really a 'beach', just a small area of sand on the inlet.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight, superchief1! Thanks for sharing!

I was there a couple of weeks ago.  (See earlier posts.)  You definitely get the upgrades as a Platinum, as well as the breakfast.

superchief1 Platinum

I'm happy to hear that platinums are still treated well at this property. When I was there, they had a great happy hour with all wine at 1/2 price and excellent appetizers. This was very popular with the locals. This is the only Marriott resort property that matches my MVC timeshares as far as accommodations and comfort. It was only a Cat 6 at that time, and a great value at that. 

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this property.  Top notch.  An Gold so when I got there they upgraded me to a 1 bedroom with ocean view because it was available.  Pool area gorgeous.  Staff attentive and friendly.  Just a great, beautiful property.  I just wish they would not charge elite members for parking.

We really did not even need a car because the shuttle was readily available and ran often.

I recommend this site to anyone.

There are really no beach areas in this area of Key West and I have to say that everyone was by the pool anyway.  No one on beach.  I just walked down.  I could see the water and the pool from my vantage point.

No complaints.  Would go again and again.

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

Loved the property.  Gorgeous.  Pool area great.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

We stayed at The Reach, which is a Waldorf-Astoria property a block from Duval St.  Highly recommend!  It cost about the same as the FFI and was much, much nicer and had its own private natural beach, a pier/boardwalk, an excellent restaurant, and other amenities.  I try to be loyal to Marriott, but Marriott can't compete with Hilton on Key West when it comes to cost, amenities and location.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...