24 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2014 12:13 PM by KatieC RSS

What happened to the "along a route" search feature?

harryb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

What happened to the "along a route" search feature?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What happened to the "along a route" search feature?
    harryb Platinum

Talked to an agent via chat...

Shawn P.:  Please accept our apology for the inconvenience you experienced when attempting to locate hotels using Marriott.com. The “Along a Route” feature you described is no longer available on Marriott.com, as our previous partner that supplied this information no longer supports this functionality. We are currently reviewing options in an effort to return this search capability to Marriott.com and work with a partner that can provide this feature for your use.

Shawn P.:  You can also try to locate the hotel closest to your destination, click the gray link labeled "Near an Address" near the top of the page at the following web address: http://www.marriott.com/search/default.mi. From there, you will be able to specify an exact destination address.

Shawn P.:  There's Bing Maps or Google Maps, you may also wish to speak with reservations, they can search by routes.

Shawn P.:  Reservations (800) 228-9290

Hopefully Marriott get this replaced soon.  My travel service will do this for me but will not do it exclusively for Marriott hotels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

harryb -- What a great question and such a lousy answer.  Just one more example of the "improvements" made when the new website was "launched".  Just a few mights ago, while wife and I were traveling by car, she was trying to locate the a Marriott property along our route.  Of course, as you pointed out, no luck.  I called Reservations and their question was... which city do you want to make a reservation for?  No city, but along a route.  They didn't seem to get it, so we found something on our own.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass along your interest in the feature!

lizmikep Gold 2 Reviews

Are they ever going to bring this feature back?  It's been nine months.  For those of us that drive to our destination, I used this feature all the time.

levelock Silver

That is a feature that I (did) use a couple time per year when taking a road trip.  Planning a March trip now and was disapponted that search feature was missing.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Us too levelock, it turns out the feature is no longer supported by Bing.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

So is this still supported by other search engines, such as Google, or is Bing the one that Jive has to use?

levelock Silver

Does Google support this?  It was just nice doing it from the Marriott site -- say trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles along highway 101. Marriott would tell me the hotel options along the route -- choose one and reserve.  One stop shopping.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Yes, IHG is still doing that on their site, and their interface uses a Google Map to show the hotels.  I'm guessing that the new site, which uses Jive, is limited to using Bing, which may not support this feature.

islandtimedave Gold

Let me also indicate how unhappy I am that this feature is no longer available.  When planning a Road Trip that includes destination cities more than 8 hours apart the "along the route" was perfect for fnding the "best" Marriott property as a stop-over!   If this feature was not used extensively on the old site it can only be because it was so hard to find!!  You've done a big dis-service to your loyal members by not replacing this feature ... now more than 6 months after it's demise!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Would be nice to have not only for us but reservations

Last year I was driving back from a wedding in MD during Irene.

Got out of the wedding which had been moved up to early morning and started driving back figuring if it got too bad, I would stop.

Made it to south of Philly ahead of the storm but there were also twisters, so I thought maybe I should stop, and headed to the Philly airport which was totally booked.  So I called reservations, told them my route, and asked for options which they were unable to look up for me.  They were really nice, stayed on the phone for quite awhile as I drove,and as I read off cities on the exit signes they looked them up for me.  Trying to help they would use the radius feature which always came up with a hotel about an hour in the wrong direction.

This would have been a really nice feature for them, and for us as well.  They would not have been tied up on the phone with me for so long looking for a property.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This is a feature that I used and would like to use.  From what I have taught, when a feature is in production and people are using it, it should not be removed unless the usage drops of to close to nothing.  It is gone with the new release and there is nothing but hard work to find hotels along a route.  It took me hours a few months ago to plan a road trip and where to stop for the night.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

typical downscoping to roll out less features in an upgrade, and say the milestone is complete when it isn't cause important functionality has been removed from the business and customers.  Whoever got credit for completing that goal should not have!

dsherlin Platinum 1 Reviews

Not only can you no longer find a property using "along a route" but you also cannot expand the search criteria to view properties outside of a pre-set circumference of your destination. Both features need to be remedied asp.

deboca Silver

Well we are snowbirds and drive south to Florida from Boston on Interstate 95  - 'The along route" feature still not available?? What a pity- Do the IT pinheads not realize that we are driving and not flying and dependent on our desires at any one moment we select a hotel

Sorry Marriott you are going downhill fast - the only saving grace you have is that Starpoint does not have this feature either

canadaeh Platinum

Cant find a darn Marriott between Park City, Utah and Jackson, Wyoming. Best I can find is Idaho Falls, Idaho which is an hour out of the way. I used to use "along the route" all the time. Another feature that was useful and Marriott decided to get rid of.

erc Platinum

A couple of observations about this two year old thread;

1) Note the number of views - this was normal back in the day before the contests of baseball stories (and let's say it together Insiders, "erc loves baseball, just not as a flood of stories on a travel forum") and hotel reviews (once again, with feeling, "erc likes hotel reviews, just not as a flood of posts clogging the travel forum") wore out posters, greatly and apparently permanently, diminishing participation and coincident insights . Today we're lucky if a topic exceeds 500 views.

2) On March 28th 2012, the community manager (remember them?) passed along our interest. Res ipsa loquitur.

erc  Right on.  I think the baseball posts were the start and the hotel reviews finished this sight.  In addition, login problems.  Many months ago, I suggested that a fix be put in removing reviews from ACTIVITY and was told that this would be in the next update but still not seen.

I have seen interesting topics just die.  This site used to be very interesting.  I used to check it daily and now hardly at all.

I also miss "along a route"  Marriott had this it should not be hard to add it back but as you said, 2 years and nothing.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Ditto.  I used the "Along a Route" feature a lot.  It was really useful.  It was also really useful to be able to zoom out on the map and see other properties further from the main search location.  Now it doesn't even pull up a property suggestion if it's out of a certain range.  I have to go to Google Maps for that info, and then come back to the "Find a Hotel" feature to get to it.  That's pretty bad when your own website can't even locate one of your properties for a customer.  I wonder how much business they've lost just from that alone.

KatieC Member

Interesting observation, erc. All (that includes you, californian, missgee, drbeaker ) - We'll share this with the team and see what we can find out. The specified item was not found. and I are on it!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I asked this question a few years ago, or at least it seems like it.  This feature went away without any notice to insiders or requests for how to make it better or more useful.  I'd like to see it's return buy ain't holding my breath.  But thanks for checking into it again.

drbeaker Gold

The amount of business from me that you have lost is probably 40-50 nights since this feature disappeared.  I now use Holiday Inn Express as they seem to be smart enough to have figured it out.

The answer is simple...if Bing won't do it, get rid of Bing.

And by the way, that Shawn P. guy hopefully is no longer with Marriott.  What an arrogant and uninformed answer...he might as well have said "why don't you drive it first and see where you'd like to stay so when you make the trip, you'll know where to stop."

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...