Here is a quote from the link above.
Currently Being Moderated
Hey imagrits - I've confirmed the Elite-only $100 Marriott Gift Cheque and $1000 in Marriott Cheques have been extended for 2012. The Choice Golf - Peak Season, Choice Golf - Value Season, Select Golf - Peak Season, and Select Golf - Value Season awards have also been extended, while the Elite only Spa Experience award will retire on the 12/31/11.
Happy New Year everyone!
ALSO NOTE THAT THE COMMUNITY MANAGER ALSO STATED THE COST WOULD CONTINUE AT 135,000 POINTS..
Just about to head out on a trip to Hawaii to a Marriott hotel. I am a lifetime Platinum Elite member and just found out the E195 program ($1000 in Marriott dollars for 135,000 has been discontinued). I want to voice my comments to Marriott that this is a bad decision and make a recommendation to other members here:
I'd ask Marriott to reconsider because:
- As a loyal Marriott Platinume Lifetime member, I expect to be able to stay at Marriott properties with my family where I want to, when I want to, using points.
- I can not use Marriott points at many properties during vacation time (when kids are off of school). Marriott blocks out point useage, even to Platinum Elites.
- I would use the 135,000 $1000 in points certificates now to get the free room when the points were blacked out. It is now 202,000 points for a gift certificate, ridiculous.
Marriott, please treat your best customers better than this.
As a suggestion to all the Marriott folks out there:
- Cancel your Marriott credit card in favor of an AMEX card. Amex let's you stay at any hotel property using their Membership Rewards program. There are two ways to use points: 1) use the points as cash and check into any hotel. or get this 2) use your AMEX points to get a Marriott Gift Card. $500 gift card is 60,000 points and the card does NOT expire!. So $1000 in Marriott dollars for 120,000 AMEX points. Guess what? I will be cancelling my Marriott Visa cards and putting all my spend with AMEX.
- as another option, switch to Hilton. They have a credit card deal where after a certain spend you automatically get Diamond Status.
So AMEX offers a better Marriott gift card program than Marriott does. Really? Can you believe it...I can't. I can't post the link but I copied the fine print below.
Marriott $50 TravelCard
Marriott $100 TravelCard
Marriott $250 TravelCard
Marriott $500 TravelCard
Marriott $50 eTravelCard
Marriott $100 eTravelCard
Marriott $250 eTravelCard
Marriott $500 eTravelCard
The Marriott eTravelCard can be used for room accommodations, golf, dining, spa and more and is accepted at over 3700 locations worldwide, including JW Marriott® Hotels, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, AC Hotels by Marriott, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, SpringHill Suites®, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®, Gaylord® Hotels, Marriott Vacations Worldwide®.
NEW! Gaylord(R) Hotels have joined the Marriott portfolio of brands to offer you breathtaking family vacation resorts and convention center options. Experience live music, dining, dancing, sporting activities, shopping, golf, movies and more - all in one place. Gaylord Hotels are located in Orlando, Nashville, Dallas, Washington, DC.
Certificates are generally valid for 6 months from the date of issuance. Certificates may be valid for longer than 6 months in accordance with applicable state law.