12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2012 5:13 PM by anadyr RSS

Getting an upgrade - any advice?

grabba Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just (last friday) got my lifetime Platinum awarded, I've been waiting for that to hit before I start chasing this particular upgrade.

This spring break I'm taking the family (wife and 2 kids 11, and 2) to Thailand for 18 nights.  Will be staying at 3 Marriott properties all on points.  

Our primary resort we will be staying at for 10 nights and thus I'm very keen to ensure the best upgrade possible.  It will be high season so I'm hoping the property will be full in their basic rooms and thus give me a better chance at scoring something really nice but I'd also not leave it totally to chance if at all possible.

I'd seen previous threads on members reaching out to the GM or concierge onsite to lock in an upgrade (either free or paid) and I was wondering if anyone had previously had any experience in doing this and could offer any pointers of how to approach the discussion?

I've already tracked down the email addresses for the Hotel manager and Concierge and will be reaching out to them shortly.

Any advice or tales of your own experiences in doing this will be much appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Getting an upgrade - any advice?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Grabba,

Congratulations on your PP status!  It is not easy to get but should really help you in your upgrades!

You are on the right track by introducing yourself, prior to you trip, to the GM and Concierge, or Guest Relations.  Explain to them, your status, traveling with family, and desire for upgrade.  You will have an advantage with your PP status out of the US, and especially the Orient.  One thing is to make sure reservations has also requested an upgrade for you.  Likewise, if there is a "Special Occasion", that has helped me in the past, ie, Birthday, Anniversary, etc.

If you have special needs, (Private car from/to airport, billed to room, or whatever), let the hotel know ASAP.  Personally, I try to request a private car after long flights with loved ones.  It is usually about the same price as a taxi, but much more relaxed and secure.  Don't forget to let them know if you are going to arrive early, it is no fun waiting for hours for your room.

Lastly, you may not know for sure until you get to the property about an upgrade until you get.  Try to introduce yourself to the person who you have communicated with prior to check-in, if they have been helpful, thank them and go from there.

Grabba, please let us know how your trip goes and hope this was of some help. 

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if we can be of service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Getting an upgrade - any advice?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

My first Platinum Premier was exceptional--and totally unexpected in a good way. My Lifetime acheivement passed with no notice on the part of hotels--sadly.

But congratulations on making it.  As for that personal touch, it works many times, so contact the GM if you can and explain your new achievement.  Maybe, just maybe it will work and you'll be rewarded--as you should be--for your loyalty

gsueagle68 Platinum 7 Reviews

Grabba,

Congratualtions.  If you have a dedicated sales representative I would ask them for assistance.  My company reserves thousands of room nights per year with Marriott and we have a sales representative who we work with regarding all our needs no matter where they are.  She even helps with non-business related travel for those of us traveling on leisure.  Utilizing someone like that who may have direct access to the property GM can make the request for upgrade more simple and you may even be able to get the request guaranteed.  I have found Marriott personnel extremely helpful and willing to do whatever they can to please their guest and Rewards members.  I have yet to disappointed. 

Enjoy your trip.

kingkamea Platinum 1 Reviews

The best advise that I can give to you is "Flowers". Call the hotel and find out who they use as their florist, and send a vase of flowers to the room. This has worked for me numerous times when I am traveling with the family. Don't be surprised if you find yourself in the Presidential Suite. My wife did have one complaint.....she only got upgraded to the Governor's Suite on her business trip! Good Luck!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Love that idea!

grabba Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow, that does sound like a good idea.  Do you play up what the flowers are for  "happy anniversary" or something like that?

No, but I'm sure that would work too. For my wife's business trip to Tampa, I think my card said something like "Hope you enjoy the conference". At the Chicago Marriott Downtown, it said "Hope you have a great weekend". (We stayed on points and had the Presidential Suite for the weekend).

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I take it you had the flowers delivered a little before checkin time, and before they arrived?

Yes, I had them delivered the day of arrival and before checking in.

proelite Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm glad for you! I have not had much luck with upgrades with Marriott though I have been Platinum for most of my 20 year membership

I  decided to pay an extra 5,000 points to cover the resort fee and get a confirmed upgrade. I have not often seen this option when using points but I like it because I have been dissapointed too many times at not getting an upgrade.

gsueagle68 Platinum 7 Reviews

I am happy to report that I was able to get upgraded this past weekend at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis.  My initial check-in wasn't going so great as the front desk staff did not recognize my Platinum status and when I asked about an upgrade she went through the whole explanation about the additional cost.  When I explained that I was a Platinum member, she gladly offered the upgrade at no cost.  It was nice having a suite, though it was small it offerred plenty of room for us for two nights.

The only thing that I did recognize at this particular hotel is that all of the other hotels I have visited usually go out of their way to say "thank you for being a Platinum Elite member", or something similar to that.  Never heard that at this hotel, though all the staff we encountered were friendly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...