9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2013 11:57 AM by anadyr RSS

Points?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
Current System (Points)
No Points
What You Get NowWhat You Would Get if there were NO Points in Marriott Rewards
Earn points with stays (ten points per dollar or more is using the MR Visa card)Status and stay frequency trumps, no points given (Marriott keeps track of your loyalty for you, always recognized at check in) at checkout.
Upgrades uncertainUpgrades to be guaranteed, based on your level of achievement versus that of other  status holders at time of check in--might be guaranteed 24 hours in advance sometimes, or a lot.
Megabonus, other points earning venuesNo special earnings, no points, but free nights based on stay frequency and Elite level
Chance to buy merchandiseDiscontinued
Alliances with airlines for miles rather than pointsCould continue, but without points to trade, seems to a thing of the past
Points equal nights, can use for things or nights (subject to categories of hotel chosen)Status, Stay frequency would allow for nights to be earned on a ten per one basis (or some other formula)  Categories of hotels discontinued
Bottom LineBottom Line
You get points, you spend points, you take your chances on upgradesYou stay, get rewarded with upgrades more often, have free nights credited based on your stay frequency, and smile a lot more

points.gif.jpgOK, here is my point (no, or all  puns intended).

We remain loyal because of the perks we get, even if they seem to be less frequent.  But a points earning system is not as efficient or rewarding as the Stepping Stones Pointless Rewards System (SSPRS) aboveWhy not give us the things we want at the time we check in, including upgrades and status recongition instead of a future promise of points sent to an account to be redeemed later? 

Cut out that middleman, the points, and give us a reward at the time we show up!

Just my musings on a Friday night in January before a long, very long Status-enhancing Marriott trip!

Comments, suggestions, critiques, agreements, disagreements?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Points?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I think I prefer the points-based system that exists across industries presently.  The main reasons the quantifier of having x amount of points that have value.  the value may not always produce everything you want, but they are real and they are yours.  I believe the system you are proposing leaves too much power in the hands of Marriott and less in the hands of the traveler.   just my opinion.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Good points. I was only suggesting that the delayed gratification of points is not a perfect system

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Well put.  Love the points.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Have to agree with Shoeman.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

thanks newhilton!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with newhilton, but not necessarily with Shoeman.

Actually, I like the points. I'm numbers driven. I enjoy when the numbers go up and feel the loss when the numbers go down. I'm not a points hoarder, but appreciate sitting on a boatload. I normally use them cautiously, thoughtfully, and best bang for the buck. I will be spontaneous, but that's usually for the benefit of friends or family.  

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

painedplatinum,

Your view and mine are identical on this.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

As a Lifetime PE I get upgrades virtually every time I stay. Don't need more. I use my points primarily to buy United Points so I can move from Business to First on trans-Pacific flights. So I want the points.

Wish I could say the same regarding upgrades.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...