4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2012 1:42 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Was I short changed on base Earnings on a recent Stay?

qwest09 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Stayed at the Marriott County Hall for new Year's eve on points. Still expected to earn points for the spend at the hotel however. Total spend was £315 of which £52.50 was taxes. Base points earned were 518 points - at 10 points per $ spent that equates to a spend of $51.80 - which is a lot less than my actual spend. Before I call Marriott Rewards to complain - does this seem wrong - whilst it was a points stay I still expected to get 10 points for each $ spent which should therefore have been around 4000 points for the base Earnings then the 50% Plat bonus added on.

Anyone have a view on this ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Was I short changed on base Earnings on a recent Stay?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

How was the Total Spend accumulated?  Restaurant? Parking? Depending on how the charges were broken out, some may earn points, some not.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

qwest09 Platinum

Restaurant - £280 and Car Parking £35.

qwest09 Platinum

More info.

it seems that the dinner that my wife and I enjoyed along with the bottle of wine - eaten in the hotel - but was classed on the bill as "Banquet" - so it may well be that the cost of eating in the hotel on New year's Eve is not counted towards MR points.

I think they consider I fall foul of this item in the Ts&Cs.

Charges that do not qualify for Points include taxes applied to the room rate, purchase of Marriott gift certificates or gift cards, purchase of The Ritz-Carlton gift certificates or gift cards, charges for third party-provided goods and services at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels, and catering or banquet functions charged to the guest room account.

So does eating in the hotel on New Year's eve count as a banquet? Whilst it was a special event evening being new Year's Eve with a special menu - not quite what I would have expected as far as earning or rather not earning points.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Okay, I think you're on to something. It looks like the parking amount when converted matches up with your points received. The meal sure looks like a meal to me. I would interpret "banquet" as a party for a large group. Was the meal deal  run by some type of outside caterer or the Marriott?  If it was in house, I'd argue a bit with the help desk to see if they'll reconsider.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...