42 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2012 8:17 PM by anadyr RSS

Jasper, Gift Card Post?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Jasper,

I cannot find your "Gift Card Post", on the MRI site.  Did you remove it?

Really had a hard time getting the proper information to order my $2500 card today.  Had to call the "Hot line", and they gave me the web-site.  Then when I ordered the card, my Marriott Number was NOT on the receipt.  Will have to call them at 801-468-4167 tomorrow to verify that I get credit for the card.

Thanks so much for your help.  I will need those points for the trips this year.  Will use the card right away at Camelback Inn.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
  • Re: Jasper, Gift Card Post?
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Jerry, I think the entry you are looking for is under the Marriott Rewards heading and is titled "Purchase Marriott Goft Cards and get Mucho Bonus Points".  It is located 6 entries below your current entry.  I have to order mine, too.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I think rbf is right.  Here is the link in case you still don't see it:

https://gifts.marriott.com/default.aspx

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Doesnt' seem like you can use the gift cards at the AC Hotels in Spain.  Is that correct or have the Terms & Conditions not been updated?

Thanks!

Newhilton,

Let us know, I cannot imagine the gift cards not working, but?

Hi Jerry,

The AC Hotels are not among the 'participating' hotels listed in the T&C.

Thanks guy's!

Found it, I think the "Mucho" thru me off.  After much trouble, I did get the card ordered!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Glad you found what you needed..I only just got online and did not see your message!!!

Jasper,

You post seems to "Come and go", I could not find it and then it seemed to appear.

Can you only get one of these per person for the year?

OK,

Got confirmation from Liz and more information to share.  They are discussing putting your Marriott Rewards number on the receipt to assure that you will get proper credit.  Likewise, she confirmed the last date to purchase the gift card is 1/8/12.  However, you can order your card over the phone, my easier than online, the number she gave me to order is:

800-813-4438

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

JC and Jas,

I didn't go for the full boat, but did grab $1000 worth. I included with the gifts on X-Mas for three of our kids. I was VERY surprised how much they loved them!! I held one back for my daughter...her B-Day is Jan. 7th.

painedplatinum,

Glad it worked out and you have some great gifts for the family.

It was indicated to me that this program has been so popular it may appear later this year, who knows.  I am thinking of getting another card for a loved one as well!

fitzit Platinum

I have made liberal use of gift cards both purchased through Marriott and also through other vendors as cashout of their loyalty points. I have been unable to get an answer though on the Visa issue. In the case of a Mega Bonus like the current offer, does the MGC ring up as a Visa for credit towards the MB offer?

Thanks

Any pros or cons to buying one big $2500 gift card vs. multiple cards of smaller denominations?

Obviously, if I wanted to give some as gifts... that would be a pro of buying smaller demoninations but... anything other reasons?

newhilton,

Why not buy the smaller cards as gifts.

I bought a big one, but I need it for a trip later this month.

Good luck!

Interesting.... depending on the quantity of cards and the denominations ordered, you get either a choice of the USPS shipping for $1 or the Express shipping for $8.50.  For example, request 5 cards for $500 each, you only get the Express shipping option!  Break it down into multiple orders and you get the $1 shipping option.

Got my card today, paid the $8.50 fee and it was worth getting the Fedex delivery.

Have it and now thinking of getting one more on Friday.

Hi Jerry,

Thought you bought the $2500 card which gets you the max points.  Is there a benefit buying another card at this point or wait to see if this promo turns up again in 2012?

newhilton,

What I am going to try to do is to buy another $2500 card for my fiancee' who also has a Marriott card.

I do not want to do anything unethical, but we are both Platinum members and I see nothing wrong with this.

Hi Jerry,

Certainly wasn't implying or even thinking of anything unethical! 

I didn't realize that you were buying it on a second MRI account.  Go for it!!!  And enjoy your trips!!!

And, congratulations on your engagement!  When's the wedding?

No,

I was not concerned about you, I just did not want to have a problem with a love one buying another card under there Marriott number.

Thanks!

nycedp Gold

If you are really into MR points, I think they will give give 150,000 bonus points for a wedding at Marriott with certain minimum catering/room budget.

nycedp Gold

1 other giftcard option is for each $250 card, you can get $50 off a Hertz rental instead of bonus MR points, so I got $2,500 gift card for points, plus several more $250 cards for the Hertz $50 discount -that's cash in pocket for savings at Hertz since I'll use the gift cards instead of credit card at Marriott. You can use 3 $50 vouchers for each rental.  I think they expire after a year, but are transferable if you want to give away the vouchers.

Good point, did not know about Hertz. 

Thanks nycedp!

Got my card already, and now am thinking about ordering another one for a loved one.

REMEMBER FRIDAY 1/8 IS THE LAST DAY TO ORDER FOR THE BONUS.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Friday is Jan 6th Jerry

SS,

Thanks, I just was not sure you could get these on the week-end.

I really think I will get another one.

I ordered my $2,500 worth of cards last night in 4 transactions.  During the first 2 transactions, although I had my MR Number entered in the input box, I neglected to click on the 'Update Cart' (?) button to the right of it.  I did click on the button on the final 2 transactions.

I emailed them this morning explaining what I had done.  I just received a reply that my MR Number was not on any of the orders but they applied it and I will receive the 25,000 points on or before February 20.

Newhilton,

I had the same concerns, but did get it taken care of.  Note, the toll free number I previously posted.  If they are working this week-end, I am ordering another gift card.

Just remember, the maximum bonus points you will get is 25,000!!! But I see you are getting the additional gift card under a different user...good thinking!!!

Offer ends January 8, 2012.

Gifts For Them, Points For You Terms and Conditions

Offer valid on purchases of GiftCards made online at gifts.marriott.com now through January 8, 2012. Offer not valid on
    Marriott GIftCards purchased via Marriott properties, 3rd parties or
    1 800 813 GIFT and cannot be combined with any other offer/promotion. Marriott
    Rewards members earn 10 points per dollar for each GiftCard purchase made online
    at gifts.marriott.com and by entering their valid Marriott Rewards number. A
    maximum of 25,000 Marriott Rewards points* may be earned per member. Points will
    be posted to your Marriott Rewards account within six weeks after the promotion
    ends on January 8, 2012. Shipping and handling fees apply. $1 shipping option
    available to U.S. addresses only. For Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions,
    visit marriottrewards.com. For Marriott Gift Cards Terms and Conditions, visit
    gifts.marriott.com.

Jasper,

Then a person in my family can get a card/points and it is approved.

Thanks, Jasper.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Just found out some disappointing information.  I purchased my gift card this year to specifically use on this year's vacation.  Problem.  Just now when I went to book my reservation online, I chose the "pre-pay in advance, no refund rate" which I had planned all along, but guess what?  You can't use your gift card to make a pre-paid reservation.  You can only use a credit card.  So now I have to pay an extra 33 euro/night to book a non pay in advance rate and then pay with my gift card at hotel (about an extra $300 for the stay).  Or else I can pre-pay with my credit card to get the better rate, but then I'm stuck with a Marriott Gift Card that I don't need.  Since the vacay is expensive to begin with, can't really afford to pay for a vacation AND have a gift card laying around that's not being used.  Live and learn, I guess.  Just wanted to share that tidbit with you all in case you weren't aware.

Did you call MR and see if there's a way around this

No, well, what happened was I thought I was clicking a continue button (or something similar), and bingo! my reservation was complete, and charged to my Marriott visa on file.  With the pre pay no refund thing, you do have 24 hours to cancel, so immediately noticing my mistake, I called Marriott right away to have my visa card reversed (which they did reverse my visa and cancel that particular reservation), and while on the phone with them I noticed that when you make your reservation and click on 'edit' payment preferences, there is no drop down option for the Marriott gift card, only various credit cards.  I talked to the agent, and she spoke with her supervisor and told me that, yes, you cannot do the advance purchase rate or payment with a Marriott gift card.  I did consider calling the hotel and asking them directly if they would honor the rate.  So I'm still wading through it.  The senior discount price is the same as the pay in advance price, but I'm not a qualifying senior (my mom is, and will be with me, and she is a Marriott customer also, but I don't think they'll accept her id when the reservation is in my name.  I'll probably just pay the higher rate and write it off to a learning experience.  I didn't know if this was general knowledge to everyone, so thought I'd share, in case anyone else was contemplating the same thing.

nycedp Gold

You coul dhave your Mom make a regular reservation at the price you want, check in using her name, and pay for it with your gift card, since gift cards are transferable.  Only downside is she would get the MR points for the stay instead of you, but that may be your best overall bet.  You already got 10 points/dollar with the gift card purchase.

Interesting plan, next time I'm just going to buy two gift cards, and make it easy.

There's an idea.  Thanks!

Not being able to use a gift card on an advance purchase reservation stinks!  I was going to do this at the EWR Marriott the night before my flight to Asheville.

I know, huh?  It might not be so bad, but what we thought was going to be a vacation for a 5 night stay plus two round trip airfares for a certain number of Marriott points (see my post in another discussion topic) ended up being a bust.  What was supposed to be 250,000 points turned out to be about 450,000 points, plus a ton of money on top of it all to Air France for 'fuel charges.'  So we ditched the hotel + air package (NOT a good deal) and are just doing the hotel stay on points and paying for airfare out of pocket.  So now because of that, we're WAY over budget just right out of the gate.  So ya, being able to use the gift card for the advanced pre-pay rate (which is why I purchased the gift card to begin with!) is a real bummer (I could be more colorful here, but will maintain decorum, hehe!).

excuse me, NOT use the gift card...

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Isn't it somewhat of a given that an airline put fuel in the tank and that is already figured into the cost of the ticket? If their fuel costs go up, they can certainly raise ticket prices. Now the consumer can choose to purchase the ticket with the higher fare or not purchase. For Air France to gauge you for extra $100's of dollars is almost criminal. There is no way the actual cost increase of the fuel could amount to that high of a surcharge per ticket.

that is really too bad in one of the hidden flaws in the gift card process. I just wish there was more transparency in the development of these programs and we could see that certain fees are going to be added.  In terms of US airlines as you know there is a requirement for them to list all these on their website.I am not sure if this applies to foreign airlines do business within the United States and based on your recent experience it seems that Air France either forgot to tell you about these surcharges or ignored the rule for US carriers since they are based in France. Sorry that this all happened and that your budget is busted.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...