11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2012 2:06 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Top 10 for 2011?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

One blogger made this list of travel loyalty stories of 2011.  I assume we can agree or disagree with the list of add our own to it.

Anyone want to try?

I'd include on the list the steady rise in cost of hotel rooms, which on the one hand increases the points earned for a stay, and on the other, means more out of pocket costs for all of us,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Top 10 for 2011?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

The number one story about AA is most interesting.  AA really did it to the passengers first, they ruined a great airline, TWA, and gave us nothing.  I guess it is "Welcome to the New World", and now they are bankrupt.  Could not happen to a more deserving company!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I recall their expanded legroom which evaporated as they spiraled into debt and then bankruptcy.  What a shame for a once proud carrier.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I forgot about the extra legroom.....  you're right, that disappeared in a flash.  Regarding TWA, I think the memory is more favorable than reality.  As an AA person, I hate it when I am booked on some of the very old TWA equipment, or get some of the very old flight attendants.....  TWA's glory hearts were the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. That's my opinion. Yes, the bankruptcy sucks, but EVERY other legacy airline has proceeded American in the process.  I would hope that this process will allow AA to break the union grip on excessive wages and allow AA to be competitive with the other airlines.  Also, they will be able to get out of the leases of many of their older aircrafts and replace them with modern, full-efficient planes.  The only changes I have been able to recognize since the bankruptcy have been positive.  As far as the mileage being safe, no other airline that I am aware of had theirs become worthless.  My guess is that group of people would be the last group you would want to get angry with you. 

Happy travels.

wrldtravlr Silver 2 Reviews

As a ‘million miler’ on both TWA and AA (and a Marriott Rewards member with a # that starts with 000) it is a embarrassment to see what has happen to our total airline industry. Literally flying today is like taking a bus. First Class today is just like coach just 10 years ago. Just 10 years ago, you would get a full meal in coach. In addition, a drink would cost you $1 or maybe $2. You are lucky to get that today in first class. I can also remember having the flight attendants wheel a cart in first class with a prime rib served to order, and that was 15 years ago.

Now if you want an air vent on a flight they charge you for it. I still believe that if people are offered better service they would take it. Look at Southwest right now. Seats in coach are the same size as AA. Same legroom as AA. BUT Southwest does not charge a baggage fee. Just a little thing but people are using Southwest not AA. Could there be a connection.

However, what really bothers me is that you still can get First Class service on airplanes. Flight attendants that wheel carts to bring you your meals and offer you choices.  Great leg room and free baggage even in coach. Only problem is the airlines are China Airlines, Air China, Middle East Airlines, Bahrain Air, Emirates, Kuwait Airways, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, etc.. What is wrong with
          this picture.

I’m sorry about my rant but I would like to see the US airline industry try to improve instead of trying to rip off the customers. Thank goodness for a company like Marriott and their high standards. Marriott keeps me coming back. THANK YOU MARRIOTT!

dblanz Gold 2 Reviews

I am not concerned about losing AA frequent fllyer miles. They have already promised that they will be retained by their FF's. As was stated earlier, taking FF miles away would be a disastrous marketing strategy. Regarding airline performance, we are clearly taking air bus rides. Last week I flew South West. They, still offer free bag checking, and provide a surprising number of snacks. One of the stewardesses told me that SW is now the "Full Service Airline." That is not too far from the truth among US airlines.

so true!

I would agree that removing FF programs could be a big mistake UNLESS there is a major push for all of them to do it. And this could be done in stages, the result being vastly diminished perks over the long haul, with the substitution of one thing for miles--such as guaranteed upgrades for elite fliers, etc.  Here's hoping that this is not in the works bit then who would have foreseen paying to check your bag?

almock Platinum

wrldtravlr

I completely agree about the international airlines.  I have had great experiences on Emirates and Singapore Air.  My wife and I flew Thai air in 2007 from Singapore to Bangkok.  The coach ticket was about $100 for a 1.5 hour flight.  We got a huge meal, drinks, AND they were even giving people doggy bags to take food with them.  That speaks to the quality as well.

Shoeman,

You are right, "The memory is more favorable than reality!". 

Every comment on the above posts are correct.  Why?  Where has the fun in flying gone?

Yeah, but the Ambassadors Club at Lambert was a great place and the women that ran the place were fantastic! 

shoeman,

Lambert is a "Third rate", place anymore!  Sad, but St. Louis does not have it anymore.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...