16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2012 11:48 PM by tmallon RSS

2012 vacation plans and advice

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

I'm curious what your vacation plans are for the new year (adventure, cultural, beach, volunteerism, etc.)? Whichever it is, please pass along your advice for specific destinations or properties for the rest of us that are still undecided.

You can also vote in our poll for the vacation you're planning in 2012. I'm personally thinking a beach vacation in Hawaii would be great.

Safe travels!

Andy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 2012 vacation plans and advice
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Andy,

No beach for me, but here is the Marriott trips for pleasure, the "Work trips are too many to record"!

January, Scottsdale, Marriott

April, London, County Hall Marriott

May, Paris, Ren, AdT

November, Branson, Mo. RI, Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams, Christmas shows.

December, Rome, Grand Flora

Andy, I know there is a lot more, but this will be a good start!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

We'd like to use the 145,000 pts. offer for $1000 off a cruise, getting back to the 435,000 pts. needed for $3000 off for 3 people, after using 135,000 for the $1000 GC offer in Dec.  The Spring Mega Bonus should give us enough.  I still need to get a passport, though, and Larry needs to renew his.

Suggestions as to which cruises when we've never been on one?

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We really enjoyed our first cruise last summer.  We took a southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver, then spent time in Vancouver, Victoria, and Seattle.  There are some lovely Marriott properties in those cities.

Thanks, Razorbackfan.

I'd love to take the Alaskan cruise sometime soon.

We lack AK and HI making the 50 states visited.

There's an island in Vancouver under a bridge that is a really good place to visit with a Pier 21.  Is that a restaurant?  We drove there years ago when Larry was working in SF and took off for a long weekend while we visited him.  There was a restaurant there that served the best food for the most reasonable price.  I think it might have been a culinary school training place the way the staff had to gather around to be instructed every now and then.  The food was great and the tea was the best ever, but they didn't tell you that refills aren't free.  :-)  $1.50 per glass and 2 refills each.  The tea cost about as much as the meal.  :-)  I know to ask from now on, especially in Canada.       

The island is Granville Island.  It is certainly worth a visit.  We spent several hours there and wished we could have stayed longer.  We enjoyed visiting the market.  My husband was chosen to participate in one of the street performer's acts and I really enjoyed watching that.  He had to help hold up a guy on a unicycle that must have been 20 feet tall.  I remember stopping at the culinary school's cafe; however, I do not remember the name of it.

This past year we visited Alaska and Hawaii.  We really enjoyed both places, but guess I'd rather live in Hawaii.  Especially this time of year.

Yes!!!  Thank you, Razorback.  :-)

I was trying to get Grand, but wasn't able to get Granville to come to mind.

Pier 21 was the full service restaurant we went to, I'm almost sure.  It might not even be there now.

That was the year the Mississippi flooded about 1993, I think.  We got to take the train and were worried about the schedule for it.  Ours was the last train that ran on our way back to SC before they canceled them until the river subsided. 

Hook 'em Horns!!!  :-)

carolinacouple Platinum 2 Reviews

We used points and sailed on Celebrity in the Aqua Class and loved it.  Good service, and great restaurants. 

Added Williamsburg and Rome to the plans this year.

curiousone Platinum

Until the economy improves we are still staying close to home. Luckily, we have a lot of Marriott choices in the southwest, living in Phoenix.

In early March we will drive to San Diego for a long weekend and stay at the Marriott Del Mar. For the last 2 years I have tried to get into the Del Mar and I finally made it this year!

In late March we will drive up to Flagstaff for a couple of nights at a Courtyard.

In June we will drive to Palm Springs, spend 1 night at the JW at Palm Desert and then 8 days at the Shadow Ridge Enclaves (Marriott time share)

In July we will drive to Las Vegas for a long weekend to celebrate my B-day and stay at the JW Las Vegas. This will be my first time "off the strip" so it will be different.

In December we will again celebrate my wife's b-day at the JW Phoenix.

I sure wish I could pop in another week of time share some where in there!

2/11/12: Marriott recently rebranded a downtown Phoenix hotel as a Renaissance. Since I will be traveling on Valentines day I decided to take my wife to the new Renaissance Sunday night for a deal with free breakfast. We will be able to jump onto the light rail infront of our condo and get off 1 block from the Renaissance. Everybody - be sure to let those that you love know that you love them!

This is a great plan!

You are going to do so much and have a wonderful time.

I  have plans that involve Europe and am really concerned about a lot of things.  Just finished a wonderful trip to Scottsdale/Sedona that made me appreciate a USA trip.  Now I am wanting to do trips like you planned.  NU Husker is a "Master" at doing these type of trips.

Have a great trip!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

January - Palm Beach Gardens

February - Grand Cayman

May - Palm Desert

July - Williamsburg

Had Hilton Head in March, but client demand overruled.

Probably September in Vegas

randomname,

Let us know what you thing of Williamsburg.  We had a great time there last Christmas.  The last time I was there in July, it was very hot.  Enjoy!  Sounds like you have some great trips planned.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

would you do a williamsburg or sedona trip first?  I have been to neither and both appeal to my wife and I.

shoeman, in my opinion, both destinations are equally appealing for very different reasons.  Honestly, if I had to choose which one to go to first I would write both locations on a slip of paper and have my husband pick one.  The time of year you want to take the trip might affect your decision.  Since we live in the south, we like to go to northern destinations in the summer.  We're also too far away from either destination to just go for a long week-end so we have combined going to Williamsburg and Sedona with other locations in the vicinity.  I encourage you and your wife to go to both destinations.

tmallon Platinum 1 Reviews

So far:

March:  Overnight at LAX

Five nights Wailea Beach Resort

Three nights Simi Valley-Reagan Library and ?

June:     Las Vegas - we were definitely staying at Cosmpolitan again but with reported downgrades for Platinum members maybe off strip?

July:      FFI  Muskegan, MI.  Kids and grandkids camp on Lake Michigan...we spend the days with them and hotel at night.

Sept.:   Walt Disney World (non Marriott)

Oct:      New England  - working/sight seeing with wife along

Nov:    Missouri trip with wife and in-laws.  Possibly St Charles again (Marriott West) or Branson. 

Jerrycoin:  Where do you recommend staying in Branson?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...