13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2011 2:53 PM by nuhusker RSS

Nomenclature

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I guess I am overly picky but if we send a "direct message" we are actually sending a "private message." so why are they called different things? 

Can't they be one or the other?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Nomenclature
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Well that's an interesting question that sounds very familiar to me, since I believe I have asked it before.  The answer was something to the effect that they are in fact different in that one is direct and the other is private.  So apparently they aren't the same.  Hope you get a better result.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Nomenclature

s itSeems confusing since in the text of a direct message it says it will be a private message that is sent?

• Re: Nomenclature

We are in complete agreement.  Just another one of those changes to this version that makes me wonder...what was the point?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree. I think it was husker and I that were involved in the last query regarding the difference between the two. I don't see any difference, but according to the response we got as I recall it, we were told there is. I don't see it, but I'm not a computer geek either.

My memory is very weak but thanks and yes I agree with you both

where's pingreeman when we need him?????????

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

got chased off............

It's a world full of choices.  Pingreeman came to the fork in the road and took it.  Like others, I hated to see him go, but he didn't ask my advice or opinion.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

While they both send messages to another Insider, the difference lies in the way in which the recipient sees the message.

What is the difference between a private and direct message?

CM  -   I have no idea what your explanation really means.  can you clarify? please?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Direct and private messages may at first appear to be the same thing, but they are two different ways to send messages. Check out the FAQ above to try the differences first hand. Direct messages appear on the recipient's Communications page along with other mentions, shares or replies, while private messages are only visible from your profile page.

got it, thanks!

Thank you CM for that response.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...