26 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2013 10:33 PM by californian RSS

Do you like the Bistro concept at the Courtyards or prefer the old breakfest buffet optin?

stevep Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Do you like the Bistro concept at the Courtyards or prefer the old breakfest buffet optin?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do you like the Bistro concept at the Courtyards or prefer the old breakfest buffet optin?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I do not eat at Courtyards when staying there but would prefer the regular sit down restaurant if I did.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do you like the Bistro concept at the Courtyards or prefer the old breakfest buffet optin?
    gofamily Silver 8 Reviews

I prefer the buffet option.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

I always thought the buffet was overpriced, so I rarely made use of it.  I like the convenience of the Bistro, but I despise the corporate sameness it's placed across the brand. I'd rather deal with a Courtyard that had nothing but the bar from time to time just to get back to some regional uniqueness at the various properties. Basically, the Bistro drives me out of the hotel to find something a little different.  I think it would be more attractive if they allowed some individual property discretion on some of the food & alcohol choices, say up to 25% of the menu, to allow for each property to showcase things that are local or regional specialties.  In other words, give me a reason to eat & drink there instead of any other generic national chain. I've gotten much anecdotal commentary from other travelers and Marriott associates along the same lines; they're finding fewer guests staying in lately.  I'm sure that corporate has the beans counted to prove me wrong, though.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I don't mind the breakfast sandwiches at CY Bistro.  Don't like buffets...eating picked over food isn't appealing to me.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree with you, nuhusker.  The breakfast sandwiches are pretty good.  I usually avoid buffets where everyone can "mishandle" the food.  But at      Fairfield & Residence Inns, you have no choice.  Springfield Suites has buffets too, I believe  I have noticed, however, that the staff keeps a close eye on the buffet & the turn-over of fresh food is fairly quick..

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Bring back the buffet!!!  I've been aggressively avoiding the Courtyards since they made this transition....

superchief1 Platinum

I hate the new bistro: slow and expensive to eat a balanced breakfast. I will now stay at a Springhill or Hilton Garden Inn to avoid Courtyards with bistros. Since my hotel decision usually involves 8-10 others in our group, this costs Courtyard a lot of money. Someone in corporate really missed the boat regarding the new bistro breakfast concept.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I rarely stay at Courtyards so did not even know of this change!!!

travelor8 Platinum 10 Reviews

We like the buffet much better! They are quicker, cheaper, and have more healthful options.  Much more family friendly too.  Too bad Marriott spent so much money on these changes.  Why break something that is working.  There are several other threads on the dislike of the Bistros on the forums, as well as this one.

red-in-la Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm somewhere between no and Hell NO.  I will go to a Holiday Inn Express first if given the choice between a CY and the HIE.

Plus I can't drink that Starbux burned mud that disintegrates spoons left too long in the infernal brew.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

In the rare occasion that I stay at a CY, I have not ever eaten at Bistro because of menu, prices and lines.  I have eaten at Buffet sometimes but there are times when I looked at it, it didn't appeal.  Some buffets were good and some not.

A partial update, supplement, and/or clarification:

I (still) much prefer the breakfast buffet and, for that reason, stay at Courtyards only when there isn't a breakfast-included option.

Having said that:

• I do know that some folks (OK, my wife) prefers this option, because they (she) don't (doesn't) like the basic buffet.  I also appreciate the (general) criticism of buffets - not just at hotels, but all buffets - from folks who would rather not be eating food taken from baskets, trays, and chafing dishes that large number of random guests (and their children) are using (and breathing on and sneezing into, etc.)....  In my (personal) experience, some people (OK, including my wife) would rather just have access to a full service Starbucks and pay for it than eat at a Residence Inn or Fairfield Inn or Spring Hill Suites breakfast.    Having said that, growing up in the Army, and being a fan of mess halls, I don't really share these concerns, but ... plenty of people simply don't like buffet service....
    • Some of the Bistros are better than others - and the better ones are fine, and the pricing is good.  On a recent trip to Newark, the (newish) Courtyard Bistro offered a breakfast special - oatmeal, banana, and juice - for a very reasonable price, and the oatmeal was good.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Unless it's in Europe where they usually give you breakfast anyway, I simply won't stay at Courtyards.  Not only because of the breakfasts (and yes, I prefer buffet over bistro, which if ever there was a wrong use of the French word this is it) but because points spent on any other amenities do not count toward MR points.  So while the CYs in Europe are better, the point values work out the same (except maybe the Rome Central Park Marriott CY, which sometimes offers almost a complete bed & breakfast & dinner rate).  There are few Fairfields in Europe that I know of, but I'd stay there any day before a CY because you get breakfast and the full x 10.

Good point, Prof C - I've had good luck with European Courtyards, particularly in Paris and Vienna.  Both were a little out of the way, but on the METRO/streetcar system, the prices were terrific, and the neighborhoods were pleasant and quiet.  Compared to the typical downtown choice in those cities - between very expensive or sub-standard rooms, both were a nice surprise.

More broadly, however, there are plenty of places in the US where the Courtyards are simply the only game in town or more conveniently located.  (For example, the new Courtyard in Newark is in a great spot - for access to the train station or the sports arena.  If you need airport access, however, the airport Marriott is simply in a different league - but that truly is an airport hotel, which is great if that's what you need it for.) 

Consistent with Prof C's observation, however, staying at a Courtyard does make you feel that Marriott (or Courtyard) does not value its loyal (let alone most loyal) customers....

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hate the CY bistro!  Enjoy the buffet, since I'll choose the omelette made to order (and if not, a pre-peeled hard boiled egg that's underneath a dome, and a whole wheat - when I can get it - bagel that's also underneath a plastic dome, both handled with tongs.  The coffee and juices are not sneezed on.  The scrambled eggs, potatoes, and sausages/bacon are usually in covered chaffing dishes that are difficult to open (heavy lids, and hard to serve, keep the cover open and hold your plate at the same time - only two hands for three functions) and so usually stay covered/protected between servings.  So what I'm basically saying is that I don't see the CY buffets (of yore) as particularly nasty.  I will admit that it would be nice if any other items that sit in the open (like fresh fruit, cottage cheese, etc.) would be put behind a raised glass partition as they are at buffet style restaurants so that patrons can't breath on them.

As far as visiting with colleagues, would rather sit in a nicely appointed lobby.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...