8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2011 4:03 PM by anadyr RSS

What is the purpose of Insiders?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

When responding to Andy's poll think for a moment on why we post and what we post.  This is (even though it seems not to be at times) a travel related site.  We have traveled far and wide and we'd love to chat about it, and find out about new places to go from other Insiders.  In my humble opinion things like posting meters do not fit well with the site.  If I were King (rather than Guru) I would eliminate all hierarchical rankings in favor of just plain "poster"

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What is the purpose of Insiders?
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks steppingstones - Here is the poll and everyone is welcome to vote. http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1083

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

We,ve had this discussion before, and I agree with you.  I hope people are not "Turned off", from the site because they feel their travels are not worthy of contributions. 

Don't you wish we had this site many years ago when traveling was really fun?  What a person could learn from a site like this.  I am sure it would have altered some of my travel plans.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Travel related posts, yes.  Earning points for anything I post on Insiders, no thanks.

Right on--there are better places on the Internet to bloviate and not talk about travel.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I've always looked at this site as a place travelers (Marriott travelers for the most part) could come and get, or give, information related to travel with a Marriott slant. Jerrycoin is right. It would have been great to have a site like this years ago when my traveling began.

As I recall, there were discussions that moved off center from travel and Marriott in Version 2, but still related to issues some wanted to know about. With version 2 (as far back as I go), we never had a discussion surrounding 'points for posts' as we seem to have so often here in Version 3. We just all did our 'thing' back in Ver 2-land and, as I recall, we had very few 'issues' that created any sort of mega discussion like this 'points issue' has.

Yet, here we are beating this 'points for posts' thing against the wall again. We must be in the 'dozens' for the number of times 'points' have been raised in a post and what to do about them. If I come back to this site tomorrow and have a big ZERO next to 'points', it won't bother me in the least. I really don't care who has what for the number of postings they do....I just care about the content of the post....and, as we know, most of it is extremely good and helpful when a poster raises an issue they need some help with. That part of being here is what I like about the site. Just my opinion, of course.

And a good opinion as well Tef.  The awarding of posting points seems irrelevant to engaging in serious conversations about places and things to do at those places.  Here's hoping we can stop the competition (real or imagined) forpoints posting and get back to first principles.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

"Here's hoping we can stop the competition (real or imagined) forpoints posting and get back to first principles."

I'll tip my cap (and elbow) to that!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...