4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2011 11:23 PM by jerrycoin RSS

New Orleans-The National WWII Museum

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

On a recent week-end trip to New Orleans, we decided on a return visit to The National WWII Museum.  It has probably been 2 years since we last visited and there have been some amazing additions.  Since our last visit, "Beyond All Boundaries" a 4-D experience featuring Tom Hanks has opened.  The brochure describes it as "a powerful, immersive journey through the war that changed the world".  That description is so accurate.  It is located in the Solomon Victory Theater (which is across the street from the original museum).

We also attended a brunch and Christmas show at the Stage Door Canteen.  The Victory Belles vocal trio gave a wonderful performance.  It was their Christmas show so they were joined by Santa Claus.  Ironically, I was one of five chosen from the audience to participate in an on-stage performance of Mele Kalikemaka hula (after we had just spent 2 weeks in Hawaii).  The brunch was by Chef John Besh who also operates The American Sector restaurant located in the same building.

There are plans for several new additions in the coming years.

There are numerous Marriott properties that are easily within walking distance; however, there is ample parking available nearby.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New Orleans Marriott
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel
  • Re: New Orleans-The National WWII Museum
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

razorbackfan:

You are so right about this museum. It is the most amazing display of WWII I have ever seen. There is so much information about each part of the war that it took me almost five hours to get through it. The realism is astounding with so many actual pictures and footage of what the 'greatest generation' went through during that time. I especially enjoyed talking to the volunteers who worked throughout the museum....most of them veterans of that war. Fascinating people!

If I can be permitted a side story....my father went to an 'Anzio reunion' every year whle still alive and always just said it was a bunch of fellows getting together to reminisce about the war days and their invasion. He never told me a bad story about the war. Always talked about his 'war injury' from when someone threw a grapefruit at him and he ducked and hit the gun turret at the front of the boat. He always told us kids 'good' stories and tried to make the war a 'fun' discussion for us...that he was a small part of what happened. 

And then...in this museum...there is the story about the Anzio invasion...and pictures of the two minesweepers that cleared the harbor without support (because of the secrecy of the mission) for the troop landing...one of the boats was his. The shore fire they took because the enemy had troops posted an advance team didn't see......the 'not seeing' in the dark one of the live mines as it scraped the hull of the boat and they waited for the worst...that thank goodness never came (as I found in a letter of commendation from the Navy in my fathers files after he died) told me a different story. He then went on to clear harbor areas in the invasions of Southern France and Okinawa. First group in every time to clear the mines. I never knew. Only heard that 'good' stuff. Insignificant? I think not.....my Dad and everyone else's and the women who took part in this war are all heroes to me! We owe them all so much. This museum brings it home.

This is a museum that everyone should visit if they get the chance. So, stay at a nearby Marriott and make the visit. You'll leave with a feeling of awe at what you have seen and what those heroes accomplished!

Thanks for posting.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Great information about the WWII museum.  Thanks.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

I've been to the museum three times, IIRC, and always try to make that one of my  non-work "musts" in NOLA (along with the Napoleon House, Pierre Maspero's, Acme Oyster House. Probably the only non-food place I make time for). Much easier with the St Charles streetcar running, too (I can generally skip a car there working at Tulane and staying downtown).

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Razorback,

Thanks!

This is in line with the memorial in DC!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links