20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2011 8:17 PM by tef6178 RSS

Bargain Airfares?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Professor or anyone,

What is the best way to secure "Bargain" airfares?  Have reservations in Paris for next May and the Delta RT is $5000 each for business class.  Have always bought my tickets directly from Delta, but their must be a way to buy them cheaper.

Anyone got any suggestions?  I will not fly coach on these long flights and hate to cancel my hotel reservations, but when you start spending $10,000 on airfare, it's too much.  Maybe, I will just take a drive to beautiful Burlington, Iowa over Paris.IMG_1613.JPGBurlington, Iowa radio station, or Eiffel Tpwer?

KIF_0990.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Burlington, Iowa, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel
  • Re: Bargain Airfares?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

jerrycoin - you're probably joking, but in my opinion there are some definite advantages to visiting Burlington, Iowa over Paris, France, not the least of which is the cost of getting there.  And with all that money saved, plus the welcoming disposition of residents all up and down the Big Muddy, for me it's a no brainer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry, my vote is for Paris!!!!

I prefer US destinations.!!!!!

No need to apologize.

OK..Paris is my vote!!!

NU,

I really was Not joking, as the places all have their points.

Thanks for your input.

Check Continental...I put in some random dates and came up with a Business class fare of $5,322 and below $5,000...round trip. And there business class is very good as I am a Million Miler with them!!!

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/booking/flight/searchResult1.aspx

I through in some May dates and came up with some pretty good fares there also.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/booking/flight/searchResult1.aspx

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry:

It seems as though the airlines have really racked up the price increases since they cut back on capacity. Our trip to the Caribbean last month was the most (by almost double) I have ever paid to go there. So, I stayed longer (makes me feel better for the price) .

Here's what I try to do...and I realize that it won't work for many....and the reason I do it is because I like to travel to different places on a trip when I travel Europe.

I look for airfares to varying locations...for example....if I am going to Paris, I might check fares to London (take the Chunnel) or Nice (the bullet train). London is an easy trip to Paris...only part of the day. I also am not afraid to drive if I fly into Nice, because I would also go to Monaco and drive the Grenoble-Lyon route or the Marseille/wine country route. But, that's me. I don't mind the drive in a foreign country. I realize that I am visiting more than one location, but I was going to anyway in most cases, so it doesn't matter where I fly into or out of....so I also play with fares flying INTO one location and OUT OF another. Into London and out of Paris.....it does work. I've done it and saved.

The airfares can, at times, be significantly less when looking at another location. If I'm flying into City A and there is something (an 'event') going on there, it can be much cheaper to fly into City B that has no such 'big event' happening. I have found the fares in London and Nice to be better at times and have done it.

Anyway, just a suggestion.....

Happy travels...wherever you go.

• Bargain Airfares?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Try Kayak.com

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I use Trailfinders for long haul ...http://www.trailfinders.com/ ... They recently had a £2500 ish business class flight from London to Auckland NZ ... looked good value to me.

Thanks to all of you!

Realized there are no "Specials", so I booked on Delta at the times I wanted to leave and return.

Thanks to all, and a Merry Christmas!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Miracles happen--perhaps they'll have a limited time sale and lower the price?  Even with a change fee it might work for you.

What price did you book these tickets at? Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Jasper,

It is to much to say, but I did get to use Marriott points to get rooms, thanks to Visa/Marriott.

Jasper,

The bad news, $10k, the good news I put it on the Marriott Visa, and did not realize I had 200,000 points with that card and got 6 nights with points!  Net cost $6500 for hotel and airfare.  That is all first class and that is the only way to travel today.  Will be a the great Ren. AdT., Paris. (They are all pretty good for different reasons in Paris (That will save me $3k at least for hotel)

)IMG_1616.JPGIMG_1653.JPG

Location Brand Hotel

Jerry:

Enjoy!

And send us pictures!

Tef,

You can count on it!

Going back to the Louvre this next trip, by the way, do you remember this famous columns from a famous Cary Grant movie?FH050036.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
            Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel

Jerry:

Is this location with the columns the Palais Royal in Paris?

Sure looks like it.

Thanks again to all of you for the input!

Tried all the "Deals", and wound up buying the tickets directly from Delta for Paris.  I like Burlington, and will go there, but it won't replace my trip to Paris in 2012.  Got the bulkhead seats, and their were only 3 left at that price for April of next year!  Airline business seems to be pretty good.

Again, thanks to all for the suggestions!IMG_1616.JPG

Location Brand Hotel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...