11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 8:44 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

Hawaii Hotel Choices

nuttbutt Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am taking my wife to Hawaii for her 10 year Cancer Free anniversary in April (it will be a surprise, I hope).  I am comparing some hotels in Maui and Kauai and would like some input.  5 nights at each hotel (plus 4 nights on Big Island). In Maui it is between the Wailea Beach Marriott and the Kapalua Ritz.  In Kauai it is between the Kauai Beach Club and the Kauai Marriott.  WE have been to Mauai before and in each location will golf, site see, and relax.  Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Maui, Hawaii, USA
Kauai, Hawaii, USA
Lahaina - Maui, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Hawaii Hotel Choices
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Only been to Marriott Lahaina and it was a great experience.  The dining in the area was memorable and the place was very interesting and relaxing.  Maui is a place I would really like to go back to.  Dined at Pineapple Hill and the food and beauty of the sunset is very special.

Have a great time!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Lahaina - Maui, Hawaii, USA
      wrldtravlr Silver 2 Reviews

Re: Hawaii Hotel Choices

Marriott has some very fine hotels on the islands. If your on Maui don't forget to try the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort. Very nice,

a little on the high cost side but worth it.

On Kauai, I think the best of the three is Marriott Resort Kaua'i. Middle priced, great golf courses and has a fantastic beach and pool. Steven Spielberg and crew stayed there when they filmed the original Jurassic Park. I was there just after Hurricane Iniki back in 1992. (PS: it wasn't a Marriott at that time) The hotel took a BIG HIT but Marriott really made it better. Been back many times.

On Oahu  the only place to stay is the JW at Ihilani Ko Olina Resort & Spa. Very costly, but if you stay in Honolulu or Waikiki its no different than staying in any other 'Big City'. Plus if you want to go to the 'Big City', is only 15 minutes away, anyway.

Kaua'i, Maui or the Big Island (Hawaii) you can't go wrong. Not that wild about Oahu. I am hoping Marriott will build a new upscale on Lanai some time quickly!

wrldtravlr Silver 2 Reviews

Opps almost forgot. The wife and I think the Big Island is the best. Has everything all the other islans have and more. Take a look at my pictures I posted. All are from the Big Island.

Have FUN!

kauairesident Platinum 1 Reviews

If you have never been to Kauai you might want to stay at the Kauai Marriott.  It is more centrally located, near the airport, on the east side, and would allow for easier access to the rest of the island, especially the north shore.

nuttbutt Platinum

Thanks for the recommendations Kauai.  I will choose the Kauai Marriott.  I am still torn between the Wailea Marriott on the East side of Maui and the Ritz in Kapalua. The Wailea Marriott is so close to golf and the stuff nearby.  The Ritz in Kapalua should be high end and closer to Lahaina.  Any advice out there?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I have been to both in the past 2 years.  If you have children joining you or nightlife is important to you, I would choose the Marriott in Wailea.  It is , in my mind, a family resort.  It also is near several other, nicer hotels with lots of nightlife.  Yes, golf is also nearby/

The Ritz in Kapalua is one of my favorite all-time Hotel/Resorts.  There are 2 championship golf courses on property, one has several holes skirting the beach and hold a lpga tourney annually, the other holds the first pga tourney of the year.  Both are beautiful.  The Kapalua resort has a number of fantastic restaurants on the grounds, a world-class spa, and is a gorgeous setting for a romantic interlude.  Of course, the Marriott will be more or less 30-50% cheaper if that is a consideration.  I did a full scale review of the Ritz you can find on this site and I would be willing to answer any specific questions and make recommendations if you would like.

enjoy...

nuttbutt Platinum

Thanks for the info.  It is just me taking my wife on her 10 year cancer free anniversary so I am reading your advice to say the Ritz.  I will go look for your review.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

nubutt

the Ritz would be the PERFECT property to celebrate your 10 year cancer-free anniversary!  I travel the world and I can tell you I long to return to the Ritz in Kapalua. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...