12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 6:06 AM by yorkstacy RSS

how are "nights earned" calculated?

yorkstacy Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Nights earned this year, it that from calendar year or date-to-date? I have 4 nights left to go up one level, but the year is almost finnished, so If this is based on calender year I will loos alot, and if its by date-to-date I will gain alot.

anyone who knows what date and where I can find that information that is correct?

Also, any tips on how go see how many points I need to get ex. free nights or upgrades?

I understand that you get different many points per $ spend , depending on the hotel. Where do I find information on how much I get per $ for the hotels ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: how are "nights earned" calculated?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Nights can be earned several way and begin with personal (not award nights) Stays on 1 January of each year:

• Actual nights stayed
    • Bonus nights (Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Black Cad gives you 15 nights every year just or having the card) awarded at the anniversary of the Card.
    • Promotional nights (same Visa card gives you a night for every $3000 in spending, no limits)
    • Roll-over nights (complicated but any nights in excess of 15 (if you were Silver), 50 (assuming you were Gold), and 75 (If you were Platinum) are considered rolled over and added to your beginning account night balance.
    • And one night on your birthday if you have registered with Marriott to have it recognized.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seattlebb Platinum

I've never heard of the "one night on your birthday if you have registered with Marriott to have it recognized".  How does one register?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Call Marriott Rewards and ask to sign up.  You'll get a birthday email from Bill Marriott and the posting of a birthday bonus night within a day or so.

thecamel Platinum

Do you have to apply for rollover nights to be added to your account or are they applied automatically?

Thanks!

yorkstacy Silver

Ok. Thank you for answering.

I really don't understand the the point of having this system if it basically only pays off if I reach the higher levels in the beginning of the year. I mean, no point to reach a new level in December, if it all will be "deleted" after a few days anyways. I have for example very recently joined Marriott reward and have been very active and saved up nights for the short time of being a member, all for "nothing" now, bc I will have to start all over in about 2 weeks again. Right?

The "nights earned" should then be used to convert into some points of something that would actually encourage me to stay at Marriott during the last days of the year. Or how do you, more experienced Marriott Reward members, think about this or do in theese situations?

The "birthday night" is only for "solicited members". What does that mean?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

YS,

Can you share where you are with nights? Do you have 6 and need 4 for Silver? Do you have 46 and need 4 for Gold? Are you close to Platinum? If you're real close to Gold or Platinum and you've only been a member for 6 months...call Marriott Rewards. They may look at your stay pattern and "grant" you status for next year if your history says you' would have made it over a full 12 months.

If this doesn't work, you'll still have the rollover benefit if available. (I don't think Marriott has announced for sure that they'll be doing the roll over again this year.)

It will help you get to a nice level quickly in 2012. For instance, if you do have 46 nights then Marriott will rollover 36 to next year. You'll only need 14 actual nights to hit Gold.

yorkstacy Silver

ok. Thank you again. I understand. My situation is that I have 4 nights left for Silver, so Im not up playing in the high leage yet, BUT I have also after this short time as a member booked several stays and events and arrangments that will take place during next year (wedding for about 300 pp, accomodation for about 100 pp, also honeymoon stay). Meaning that Marriott allready knows that I will be a faithful guest and spend big amounts of money with them over the next year.

I stayed 1 night at Marriott, liked what I experienced, booked and payed deposit on all this mentioned above, then came back to stay more nights to arrange for details with the event coordinator.

Shouldn't this be a guarantee enough?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I would call the Rewards folks and let them know your situation. I bet they'll help you out with your upcoming reservations being taken in consideration. Good luck.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

hi yorkstacy,

I will see if I can help with one other part of your question.  If you reach a particular level (let's say Silver) somewhere during the year (even at the end of the year in December) you should have that level for the rest of the year you got the level, and all of next year.  If you did not get enough stays the full year that you hold the status, then you will probably be downgraded when they evaluate you towards the end of January following the full year at the Silver Elite status.  Once you obtain a status, you should get to keep that status for a FULL year.

yorkstacy Silver

super!! THANKS

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

yorkstacy,

I don't know if you are in the US, but if you are, you should check out the Marriott Premier Visa Card offer, if you can.  That will guarantee you Silver Elite status every year, along with a lot of other nice perks and point earning benefits.  You will get access to Elite offers and will get 50,000  points if you are accepted.  If you're outside the US, there are already a lot of discussions on the site of the major differences that exist between the US and non-US members.  I will try not to add any of those conversations into this thread.

yorkstacy Silver

Oh how I wish I was a US-member, but Im not. I have been reading the discussions you mention and absolutley getting frustrated over the huge differences.

2002 I got "honorary citizenship" from the first selectman in a small town on the east coast. That as faar I get A great honor, but not helping when it comes to Marriott Reward

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...